Advise on where to set tone and volume knobs? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Takin' a Ride

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Advise on where to set tone and volume knobs?

So I've been playing a JEM for about 10 years now, although I'm not very good. I'll admit that I'm one of those guitar players that start out with the volume and tone set on 10.

Does anybody have any advice for how they set their volume and tone knobs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:20 AM

Re: Advise on where to set tone and volume knobs?

I always leave mine both at max. For me, anything other than that is too imprecise for replication and it's another little detail to try and remember. I would suspect everyone has a different answer for different reasons.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 AM

Really depends what sound you want. I've always found that the volume knob is mainly used for live work, and specifically for cleaning up the sound by dropping the volume. Tone knob wise, it would be on a song by song basis.

For home use I'd recommend full volume (drive from pedals or amp channel), and set the Tone where you like it.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:32 AM

I set the EQ on the amp channels so that the Tone knob can really swing the brightness or darkness of the tone around. I usually leave volume on 10 and back it off if I want to roll out of distortion into a cleaner sound
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 01:24 PM

10. I'll use the volume as kind of a "gain" knob while soloing, to occasionally back things off and clean things up a little, but generally I'm wide open. I don't roll the tone back much, but it's nice to have as an option.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 02:22 PM

I always leave Tone on 10. Volume is useful not so much for volume control, but for tone shaping. Assuming you're running a tube amp or high end modeler of course. Solid state amps don't react to the volume knob that way.
doriangrey likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 06:14 PM

i was a ten/ten guy for years until someone kindly pointed out that i should roll my tone off half to get that milky sound like in this song.

Other than that i don't really know as i mostly play metal/blues style things.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:14 PM

Reviews: 13

For my Ibanez, vol & tone at 10.

Actually, the only guitar where I like to adjust vol/tone is my Suhr. Each position delivers different and usable tones. But on my Ibanez, it's always on 10.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:56 AM

Most people leave their volume and tone maxed out. People only really adjust them during solos.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 06:18 PM

I usually max out tone and adjust volume as needed. If there is a specific sound you are looking for then altering tone knob may help. In the guitar I am currently putting together I will be doing the Van Halen technique of not even having a tone knob.

Technically there are no rules so experiment.

Tags
ibanez volume tone knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode