Affordable Jem Suggestions - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Affordable Jem Suggestions

I want to buy a jem sometime down the road that feels and plays like the LNG but is not something I have to worry about dinging/playing.

The reason I like the neck on the LNG is because it's not stupid thin like the 90s UVs.

Anyways, I have these short listed:

-Jem VSK/VDY
-Jem BFP

Ideally I want something fairly beat up but not so ridiculously beat up it destroys playability.

My questions are:

-Can I score any if those guitars in beater condition for around 1500?
-Do the VSK and VDY fade? Are the necks like the LNG?
-Is the BFP neck like the LNG? Do the florals have any long term issues with the finishes?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 06:36 AM

Re: Affordable Jem Suggestions

The VSK and VDY are the thinnest necks you'll find on a Jem, so you couldn't be more off beam with that idea

Try here at the bottom of the page for a comparison: http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Oh ****, well there goes that idea. Thanks for the link.

I wonder if I should just stop being a little girl and find a regular DY or SK. Those are still a bit too "collectors" though.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

What do you think of the BFP DD?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 AM

The differences from the neck standpoint are so subtle you wouldn't even notice it.
You should go to a guitar center or something and just sit there with a few guitars to get an idea. Are you dead set on a jem? An rg from the same era is an awesome guitar and every bit as good. Don't be fooled.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
The VSK and VDY are the thinnest necks you'll find on a Jem, so you couldn't be more off beam with that idea

Try here at the bottom of the page for a comparison: http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm
You can't go off that chart. Jem necks are highly variable. Here are the measurements from my guitars, taken with digital calipers.

'87 LNG

Width: 42.9 mm (nut), 56.4 mm (24th fret)
Thickness: 18.9 mm (1st fret), 20.7 mm (12th fret)

'88 SK

Width: 42.8 mm (nut), 56.6 mm (24th fret)
Thickness: 19.4 mm (1st fret), 21.3 mm (12th fret)

'89 PBK

Width: 42.2 mm (nut), 56.6 mm (24th fret)
Thickness: 16.7 mm (1st fret), 19.9 mm (12th fret)

'91 FP

Width: 42.8 mm (nut), 56.4 mm (24th fret)
Thickness: 17.7 mm (1st fret), 19.9 mm (12th fret)

'92 GMC

Width: 43.1 mm (nut), 56.9 mm (24th fret)
Thickness: not measured yet, feels consistent with LNG and SK

The FP is obviously a complete oddball, almost like a Wizard II. I disagree with the neck chart that any of the "floral" necks are typically thinner than the maple fretboard necks. I haven't had a chance to measure the thickness of the GMC neck but this is making me want to pull the bridge and do it. But it certainly feels extremely similar to the LNG and SK. I've had two VBK's and the necks were similar on those.

I think the only reason the all maple necks are listed as being fatter is a perception thing. When you look down at a maple board on top of a maple neck, it just LOOKS so much beefier. I notice the same thing with my '03 JCRG8670. JCRG's typically have a flame maple fretboard binding, so the side view is similar to looking at an all maple neck. I would have sworn that the neck is in the middle of the necks I have but it is actually among the thinnest at 17.1 mm (1st fret), 19.5 mm (12th fret).

Back to what guitars to consider for that "LNG" feel without the price tag or the worry about damage, your best value will always be VBK's and FP's. There are lots of player condition ones around for reasonable prices. The pickups on old FP's are often faded to an ugly color, but since you're not buying a collector, you can just throw a set of new pink PAF Pros in there and it will look mostly good as new.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 10:06 AM

If I could recommend an affordable jem, it would be the jem7dbk.
Not many people like the finish on it, but actually I loved it.
Another cool thing about it is that if you accidentally bump it on something, no big deal. You can touch it up with pretty much any kind of black paint. Put a small glob onto the ding and it will blend right in. LOL

Mine played awesome and sounded really good. And I think it looked really sharp.

They are a lot less expensive than most and they are going to be found in a lot better condition than these other above mentioned models. Just my thoughts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 11:35 AM

He's looking for one with one of the fatter, more traditional necks. The DBK doesn't fit into that category. Also, the DBK would have Breeds instead of PAF Pros like the LNG he's getting rid of.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

This thread has confused me now more than ever hahaha.

BTW, not too worried about pickups, will be swapping em out no matter what
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 04:52 PM

Jem70sfg? Ive tried it at guitar shop and it plays well....cheap too
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 05:12 PM

I picked up my used 70sfg for $900 mint but I know the premium doesn't suit everyone

I picked up my BFP for $1000

Keep looking around you'll find some good stuff. I recommend if you see a listing not consistently not selling on the bay for the asking price, to pm them and offer a price. Doesn't hurt right?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 05:15 PM

As with the finish of the floral I've seen them turn pretty yellow-green. I was wondering too if there is anything you can do to slow/stop that process other than keeping it in its case...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 PM

Stealth, just build your own!!!!!
There is nothing wrong with building yourself a "stunt double".
Hell, you can build a brand new one that looks identical and it wont cost anywhere near what the "real thing" costs.

Lots of fun too.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:30 PM

Reviews: 2

Honestly, I think the 505 fits your criteria the best.

Can be played everyday without "killing" the value
Jem Prestige neck
MIJ
Original Edge
pickups your gonna want to change for sure.........

I find them all the time between $1000 and $1100 in excellent condition.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 PM

If you want something that feels extremely similar to JEM neck dimensions find an early MIJ Wizard II neck (often attached to RG470's) slap it on a Jem/RG body. The neck measurements are almost identical except the radius is 30 mm less. Which relays to barely perceptable.

I did just that with my "Anti-Jem" and it's my favorite playing guitar just slightly above my 2002 DBK. The tiny bit fatter neck is a little more comfortable to me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode