Aged JEMs - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Aged JEMs

I've seen many pics of Steve Vai's JEMs, particularly EVO. And the instrument has aged to that beatiful bone, off-white color. Does anybody here have instruments that have aged to the point where they discolor? Can you post pics of them. I like seeing instruments that look like they have been around the block more than once. About how long did it take to discolor? I just got my JEM7VWH, which i named "Angel", in July 2002. I was wondering how long would it take to discolor? I'd rather let it happen naturally, I dont want to accelerate this effect by artificial means. Thanks fellow JEMsters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 08:29 PM

i`ve rather imaginatively called my jem 7 , Gemma
and im sure over the next few years giging she`ll get plenty of chips and cracks,, don`t worry bout it dude, it adds character
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 08:30 PM

beer is goood..
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 09:00 PM

I'm not sure if this is true, but I think that the new JEMs have a special paint which doesn't discolor or fade. I actually think this is a good thing because a sign of a guitar being "used" should be a few chips and cracks, not a color fade which would make a beautiful bright-white JEM turn greyish...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnJ
beer is goood..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 09:10 PM
EKG

Pics of my aged PGM300 ;-)

Full
Front1
Front2
Front3
Back
Headstock
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 09:13 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG
How is that PGM spec sheet coming along ...glen
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG

Full
Front1
Front2
Front3
Back
Headstock
Looks good. I love Paul Gilbert, awesome guitar player, tons of talent. I'm just wondering though, what's the whole point of the reversed headstock? I've seen them everywhere and haven't bothered to ask why it's like that...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 05:23 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager
I'm just wondering though, what's the whole point of the reversed headstock? I've seen them everywhere and haven't bothered to ask why it's like that...
Some of us love them.
If I could get a Jem with reverse headstock and clean (no fret markers of any kind) maple fretboard, plus leftie EDGE, I would be the happiest man alive.

ilia
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 08:16 AM

Do the toppers for the pickups ever age at all?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 09:23 AM

Remember that 80's band "Kix"? Their big song was "Don't Close Your Eyes". Anyway, one of the guitarists was a collector and he mentioned a technique he used to age his guitars...he would "smoke" the guitar. He used lit cigarettes. I guess the smoke dicolored the finish. He mentioned a white tele that he smoked to an off white.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager
I'm just wondering though, what's the whole point of the reversed headstock? I've seen them everywhere and haven't bothered to ask why it's like that...
Some people like how they look. I was on a big reverse-headstock kick for a while back in the late '80s/early '90s.

There can be some functional benefits, too. I find the tuners on a 6-inline headstock to be easier to manipulate on the underside of the headstock, especially if you wear your guitar a bit higher. You don't have to **** your wrist on that odd angle to turn them.

On guitars without locking nuts, the greater length between the nut and the tuners for the low strings can give you a slightly different feel on the bottom strings. There's a bit more string to move around, so you can get a very slightly looser feel. Conversely, the higher strings have less play behind the nut, so they have a slightly tighter feel when bending. The difference is very subtle.

Tags
fret markers , higher strings , locking nut , locking nuts , low strings , maple fret , maple fretboard , paul gilbert , reverse headstock , reversed headstock , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode