AHHHH did I harm my DBK's neck??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

AHHHH did I harm my DBK's neck???

I have some concerns over a polish wipedown I did today on my Jem 7DBK's rosewood neck. A friend of mine avised me it would probably be ok to use the "Smith Pro Formula Polish" i had on the neck of my jem. After using it I realized on the back of the bottle, it says in bold "DO NOT APPLY TO RAW UNFINISHED WOOD" ahhhhhhh!!

Did I just harm the neck on my guitar in any way?? What possible adverse affects could this have on the fingerboard of it? Im worried now that I may have damaged my nicely crafted neck somehow. I may be overreacting, but Im unsure of how this could affect the playability of the guitar. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Vendor

Always helps to read directions before the job, but, we're men, we only read them when we screwup

No idea what that stuff is, what's in it?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

lol, youre right on the "reading directions" thing Rich.

Its called "Smith Pro Formula Polish" for instruments. It says its a concentrated polish favored by guitar technicians thats good for gloss, semi gloss, or all open pore finished wood instruments.

Here is the link to what the stuff is Rich http://www.kensmithbasses.com/access...ithpolish.html

Its the pink polish at the top of the page on the right outside of the box....
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 11:23 PM
Vendor

Might have some silicone in it, probably some wax, most likely a petroleum base. I wouldn't worry about it, it's not going to turn your frets green or anything. You can always take mineral spirits and wipe the board down with it [just not a soaked rag, I do not believe in "excess" anything wet that can seep under the frets and possibly affect their "seat"]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:05 AM

We had a similar thing come in with a floral at work...the guy had used that GHS polish on EVERYTHING!!! That's the kind that dries to powdery stuff, then you buff it off...so all this powder was stuck in the grain of the rosewood on the fretboard. We just ran some oil and #0000 steel wool over it, and it came out fine. He had actually sat with a toothpick and cleaned the grain out from the nut to the 6th fret before bringing it by to find a quicker way...lol
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to let you know how I remidied the problem. I spoke to this master luthier over here and he said that the Smith polish probably took all the natural oils out of the wood and lightened it considerably. After inspecting and playing the guitar again, i found him to be 100% correct!! The rosewood was considerably lighter and felt very dry + lifeless.

He recommended I use some heavy lemon oil on the neck asap, to restore the oils and to precent cracking. I ended up buying this "Gibson fretboard conditioner" made for revitalizing and reoiling unfinished woods (ie rosewood). That stuff did just the trick. I applied some, let it sink in a bit, and presto!! The dark, rich color is restored, and it feels better than ever. Silky smooth!!

Lesson to all, dont use gloss guitar polish on the neck of your Jem!!! uggh Thanks for the help guys
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 05:37 PM

Well, if it screws the fingerboard up then you have a great excuse to go for a mirror vine ala LGM customs.

Seriously though - glad the problem seems to be fixed.

Gabe

Tags
guitar tech , rosewood neck , steel wool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode