alder Jem vs basswood Jem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

alder Jem vs basswood Jem

i sure this has been brought up lots of times- it's just easier to get the specific details starting a thread...
i'm just looking to find out if the alder Jems have more "body" to their tone than the basswood models? i have a DBK and a VBK (i love them both) and they sound thin next to my alder Strat and my mahogany Epiphone LP. i haven't had the chance to play a VSBL or VWH for myself to compare. i might sell off a few of my babies to get a VSBL if the "tone" is there. basswood just doesn't have the "body" that other woods tend to have. am i alone in this thinking? anyone who has these models and has done a comparison, please post some feedback. thanks!

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:12 PM

if only they made a mahogany jem..
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 02:39 PM

I think it is most likely the PAF Pro pickups in the basswood Jems. I own a few EBMM Petruccis, and they are basswood. I don't find them thin at all, as compared to the basswood Jems. I also have the alder bodied Jems as well, and they venture on the thin side too, in my opinion. Mahogany is definitely my wood of choice, though I like them all.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

so are you saying the PAF pups are thin or toneful? my Epiphone has a JB in the lead and a '57 classic in the neck and they sound awsome! my VBK doesn't have the original pups but i think they did replace them with PAF and maybe an Evo. i checked the back of the pups and they have no marks or #'s on them at all. i have an Evo in the lead of my alder Strat and it is a marriage made in heaven! i was thinking that i would get a similar tone from a VSBL or a VWH.
check out the "custom Jem" thread i started - it should have pics of my mahogany Jem. i named her Jem77JPM - since it is a mix between the JPM and a Jem. she is sweet and i need to change the pups in her as well.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 10:32 PM
UV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverMan
I think it is most likely the PAF Pro pickups in the basswood Jems. I own a few EBMM Petruccis, and they are basswood. I don't find them thin at all, as compared to the basswood Jems. I also have the alder bodied Jems as well, and they venture on the thin side too, in my opinion. Mahogany is definitely my wood of choice, though I like them all.
DBKs have Breeds in them. I like them better than EVOs. Nothing like the Paf Pros. I sold my Floral pattern because it sounded too dull. The Breeds rule!

U
v
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

i know it really depends on the sound your looking for and right now i'm not playing high gain rock but classic rock and a few modern rock songs. the breeds "rip it up" when i play the high gain stuff but sound a little thin for classic rock next to the Epi Lp.
i have a custom mahogany Jem guitar (Jem77JPM) that i'm am seriously considering a seymour JB for the bridge and a classic '57 in the neck to match the LP tone wise. i think i will still get a little different tone from the Jem. the thickness i get from the LP is awesome! if i can come close to that with my Wolfgang and my Jem77JPM, i will be awe-inspired!
i had a JB in an alder bodied Strat and it sounded like crap. it was to trebley and the gain was too hot to be smooth. the mahogany body of the LP must be a perfect match for the JB as it sounds sooo different than the Strat with a JB. i am starting to think i am finished with basswood guitars. the Strat now has an Evolution in it and that is a perfect match for wood/pup character (it has two stock Gold Lace Sensors in the neck and mid). i guess that almost answers my alder vs basswood comparison hearing an Evo in the alder Strat - smooth and not too much treble but hot enough output to keep it from sounding weak.
i guess the question now would be, "what is a good pup set for basswood that sounds thick and smooth?".
BTW- you gotta love Jemsite! i do! i learn more here than almost any other resource for guitars. you guys/girls ROCK!!
Todd

Tags
alder bodied , alder strat , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , custom jem , ebmm petrucci , gold lace sensors , lace sensor , lace sensors , mahogany body , paf pro , paf pro pickups , paf pros , pro pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode