All about EVO... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

All about EVO...

Hi,

this is what we can read on Steve Vai official website :
" There was something about Evo that I responded to. Even though she was technically exactly like every other production model guitar, there was something about her touch and sound that moved me."

So I have a question for true Steve Vai fans : Does Evo got real evo pickups ?
and which neck type would be the same as Evo : the wiz', the super wiz' ?

I've got a rg 550 LTD and I would to make a Evo replica. I already made the monkey grip and the lion's claw on it. But my neck is very very different of the actual jem 555 (that i tested recently). So is my neck proch of Evo neck ? And What are the Evo pickups : evo, evo II ?

Thanks for your answers.

Manta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Re: All about EVO...

The all about evo section of his website answers most of the questions, if you read the story in the electronics section it shows that evo once had a screwed up pickup and the tech replaced the neck position with a different evo pickup that didnt sound the same.

Also it has a pic of just the bridge position and says "A detailed photo showing the bridge position Evolution humbucker"

Evo's neck is a jem neck, not a wizard or super wizard. Evo has had a few necks on it but all of them are jem necks. I believe it even had a 555 neck on it once.

Also fyi, a rg550 will sound more like flo than evo because evo is made out of alder and flo and a rg550 are made out of basswood. Flo use to be a floral jem but was transformed into a white one so thats how I know that it is basswood.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
The all about evo section of his website answers most of the questions, if you read the story in the electronics section it shows that evo once had a screwed up pickup and the tech replaced the neck position with a different evo pickup that didnt sound the same.

Also it has a pic of just the bridge position and says "A detailed photo showing the bridge position Evolution humbucker"

Evo's neck is a jem neck, not a wizard or super wizard. Evo has had a few necks on it but all of them are jem necks. I believe it even had a 555 neck on it once.

Also fyi, a rg550 will sound more like flo than evo because evo is made out of alder and flo and a rg550 are made out of basswood. Flo use to be a floral jem but was transformed into a white one so thats how I know that it is basswood.

ok dude, and thank you so much. but that's a new : i didn't know Flo was originaly a floral jem !

everyone really think that there wood be a big difference between an alder and a basswood body ?

manta.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaworld13 View Post
ok dude, and thank you so much. but that's a new : i didn't know Flo was originaly a floral jem !

everyone really think that there wood be a big difference between an alder and a basswood body ?

manta.
For me, not at all! On the Same PUPS, it sounds exactly the same to me.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Banned

evo's in alder sounds way better than evo's in basswood.i played a 555 for 11 years then bought a 7vwh,as soon as i played the 7vwh i thought this is lightyears better than the 555.that said the 555 isnt as bad as what folk make out,change the lor-trs or edge 111 and you got a very decent guitar,the trem is the only bad point on 555.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:34 AM

Reviews: 65

Basswood does not support the crispness of the Evo pickups IMHO. So I agree that Evos sound better in Alder.
However the Evo2 sounds almost the same in Alder and Basswood.
Whereas I think the Breeds sound best in Basswood. (Never tested them in Alder though)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:00 AM

Its interesting how we all hear things differently in the music world - some hear the difference and some don’t.

Suffice to say, if you want and EVO replica:
• Buy yourself a Jem 7VWH,
• Change the bridge
• Snap the neck off and glue the body back together
• Bounce it off the wall a few times...

Hey presto - you got the perfect mock-up :-)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:08 AM

If your trying to get your guitar to sound like Vai you need to stand in front of a fan blowing your hair around. Steve said the fan is one of his most important things on stage so it must be a factor in his sound.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: All about EVO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
If your trying to get your guitar to sound like Vai you need to stand in front of a fan blowing your hair around. Steve said the fan is one of his most important things on stage so it must be a factor in his sound.
The electronic signal interference/disruption the fan causes is what makes the sound happen...

Also I think where we are at certain points in time lends itself to how we connect with particular things. I think spiritually (without sounding corny) Steve was open at that moment to connect with the instrument. I know for me I connected with my 77FP in a spiritual way that just sort of happened and I couldn't put it into words until years later, but the guitar had actually become part of me! It's still revered in my household as a holy object, and my wife and children know how much it means to me. Obviously in the event of a fire they know they are more important than the guitar...But once they're safe outside Daddy's going back inside for it...
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
hahaha!!or what kind of materials does the fan have? but i agree with the above that Breeds sound better with basswood.more darkness to it.i have a basswood rg and i am not very pleased with the Evo bridge to it..might put a breed!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:50 PM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
You cannot play or sound like Vai without one.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:43 AM

why the name manta?do you drive a opel manta ?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:04 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
the 555 isnt as bad as what folk make out,change the lor-trs or edge 111 and you got a very decent guitar,the trem is the only bad point on 555.
I had a 555 myself a few years ago, and I can confirm this.
I loved the guitar, except for the trem, that was a bit unstable.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

so most of you guys are just saying that "Breed pickups in a basswood body is almost equal/the same as Evo pickups in an alder body" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow... but all the jem model during all those years were not only in alder (bsb, vsl, dna ...) oh may be i'm wrong ?

manta (no, the animal cause iwas born in tahiti).
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
Snap the neck off and glue the body back together
The first time I watched Where the Wild Things are, I was amazed to see that gigantic crack on EVO on the underside cutaway. O.O

And yeah TC just buy yourself a Jem 7VWH, they are awesome guitars!

Tags
dimarzio , evo , ibanez , jem , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode