All Jap. sig. models are made in J-Custom (prestige) - Then - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

All Jap. sig. models are made in J-Custom (prestige) - Then

JEM2KDNA Note - Multicolor paint which includes Steve Vai's blood. Hand swirled finish by Darren Johansen (DMI/ATD). The paint was done in Japan, Early April, 2000. The guitars are being assembled in a custom shop of Hoshino, instead of a current JEM/UV assembly line. Rear headstock includes serial # (1-300) and three stamped Y2K logos (for the Y2K Ibanez models: DNA, CP & Benson). Guitars come with letter of authenticity and Y2K guitar bag. DNAs from Hoshino USA came with J-Custom-like case (leather handle) with Purple lining; others came with a ATA type flight case.

Note the bold text. Now i'm wondering, what is the current Jem/UV assembly line? Seems it's made different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 02:37 AM

All Jap. sig. models are made in J-Custom (prestige)

No two JEM's or UV's (or Prestige's or J-Custom's for that matter) will ever be EXACTLY the same.

All of the signature models and the Prestige and J-Custom lines are HAND-ASSEMBELED & HAND-FINISHED by the guys in the J-Custom Shop. *You might get two that are really, really close, but if you break out the calipers, you'll find very small differences. *

The main parts (body and neck) are done with CNC for their basic shape. *After that initial cutting, they're selected by the guys in the J-Custom Shop as to which body becomes which model....and stays in their hands until it's done.

Think of the J-Custom Shop as the Callaway for guitars: *sure, a Corvette is nice, but for a few (or many) extra $$$, you can have a really nice, really fast product. *:-)
There is no assembly line for the Signature models, or the Prestige/J-Custom guitars.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 02:40 AM

Oh, and more specific to your point:
Ibanez setup a little "area" for Darren to do his magic. *The DNA's were an extremely special run, so they kept them separate from the other customs, but not *that* far away.

More like an attached garage to the J-Custom shop. *
:biggrin:
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

It's the words assembly line mainly. Custom means hand made. When you think of what an assembly line means, it's just a few stations where each part is applied and nothing more.

So the assembly line is the J-Custom shop?

Another confusing thing is on www.ibanez.com
Go to the JS section and you'll notice that the JS1000 has Prestige labeled.

Go to the Jem7VWH section and there is no Prestige label.

Rich has told me otherwise and seeing that he does seem to know these things and has assured me he is right I would believe him. I just can't understand why Ibanez would not label Prestige on a Prestige guitar. That's purely negative on them.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 01:39 PM
Vendor

If you think the J Custom shop isn't an assembly line you'd be mistaken. They probably make around 10,000 guitars a year between Sigs, Prestige, and JC's. 1 person doesn't build a guitar from start to finish, he handles his responsibility and then passes it to the next staion for the next step.

JD told me at NAMM 2000 that the DNA's and the CP's were going to be built in a new Custom shop they were opening, pretty much an extension of the J Custom shop, to handle the overload of work due to increased sales.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 10:35 PM

The JS1000 has the prestige labeling due to the necks following the same construction processes as the prestige guitars. The JS1000 necks have that little bit more of the hand sanding, broken in process.

Cheers,
Butch
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 06:10 PM

Bodies for the jem are cut and finished in Cort korea though....

have seen photos of this... *
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 06:13 PM
Vendor

555's 'were' made in Korea, that's all.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 08:35 AM

nope...... *have seen photos of Floral's being finished in Korea....

Right next to some of the Corts in the same shape as the RG....

(Edited by spiro at 8:36 am on Nov. 6, 2001)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 11:05 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

because this will only go in circles... lets see the photos ...glen
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 11:34 AM

I say the same, show us that photo...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Butch - JS1000 are labeled Prestige for reasons other than the neck shaping. They are labeled Prestige for the same reason of any other Prestige. They were made from the finest materials available by the most experienced builders. .................... Korea? It doesn't make sense why the guitars would be sent to Korea to be finished when they're already in Japan.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 01:50 PM

Quote:
nope...... *have seen photos of Floral's being finished in Korea....Right next to some of the Corts in the same shape as the RG....
Hey Spiro, don't be cheap, give me a hit of that stuff, 'cause it must be good whatever you're smokin' :loco:
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 02:42 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

YngVaiTriani *- my advice for you for today...

read more and type less

Butch is 100% informed on this ...glen
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I was more adding to what he was saying. I taking this right off www.ibanez.com

Finest materials. most experienced builders and most sophisticated machinery. That is specifically how they define Prestige. Yes, necks finishing is also defined in Prestige.
You can't tell me i'm wrong about this.

(Edited by YngVaiTriani at 8:15 pm on Nov. 6, 2001)

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , hoshino usa , ibanez models , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode