alternatives to a jem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

alternatives to a jem

i need a new guitar BUT i'm having a bit of a cash crisis at the moment. i would KILL for a jem, but i'd rather have a new guitar than be playing a harmonica in a cell. what are my alternatives? i'm thinking stuff in the rg series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 04:24 PM

You need to give us more information than that. Tell us what you are looking for (floyd, fixed, ebony, rosewood, electronics, etc...). Tell us your price range. Sometimes used Jems (like the DSY) can be had for around $500-$600 if you look around.

Gabe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

well. rosewood fingerboard. H/S/H pickup configuration. edge bridge. bolt-on neck. i'd spend maybe about £500/$700. preferably non-reverse headstock. hmm... are the DSY jems any good? are they particularly easy to find?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:27 PM

Look for a used RG550.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by inertiasuck
well. rosewood fingerboard. H/S/H pickup configuration. edge bridge. bolt-on neck. i'd spend maybe about £500/$700. preferably non-reverse headstock. hmm... are the DSY jems any good? are they particularly easy to find?
Well £500 is going to be a bit of a stretch for a JEM. I'd advise you to pick up an RG of some kind, basically anything like an RG550 or 570 will suit you nicely Suits you sir!

ahem, sorry!

I'd personally advise you to avoid the RG470 or lower designations and spend a little more to ensure you get the edge bridge.

If you have any cash left over in your budget, think about some replacement pickups

Having said that the JEM777DSY is a great guitar but comes with a maple board, the VDY has a rtosewood board with yellow vine inlays. They're amoungst the most common JEMs and do come up quite often.
jono is online  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 06:51 AM

Although used Jems are quite hard to find in the good ol' united kingdom. Rg 5xx are floating around NEW for about 500 (if your lucky), and you could probably find a Jem555 for 500 (no edge tho...only a humble trs). Try the Guitar, Amp and Keyboard centre. They usually have a a big ad in the guitar rags.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 07:36 AM

Yep, RG550 sound like a good idea.

An alternative is to buy a £300 plane ticket to the US, buy a used JEM there for £400 and bring it back home.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 11:51 AM
rvj

You may be able to find a used DY or an SK for $700 if you're patient enough to wait for that kind of deal. But lately I've been seeing DY's sell for over $900. Maybe an RG 5xx is the answer for you, if you need the axe soon.
To answer your other question "are the DY's any good"?
You're damn right they're good. They're freaking awesome!!!
When I first got my DY, I did'nt really play it that much. I preferred the ebony fretboards and aanj on my 90th and 7VWH. Lately I've been playing the hell out of it. It may not have the aanj, but it does have the PAF's which sound excellent. It has tones that I can't match with my other Jems.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 12:21 PM

Wait for a DY or maybe SK (argh!), they´re muuuuch better than an RG 5 series. Anyway, RG´s are very good too.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

i've seen second-hand Jems in the US on the net, but i'm not too keen on paying the customs etc to ship it over. It might just be me, but Jems seem to be something of a rarity in the uk, apart from the current lines.
If anyone in the UK wants to get rid of their Jem (at a reasonable price), get in touch with me. PLEEEASE.

It seems an RG would be my best bet, but it's just not the same. After replacing the stock pickups for DiMarzios, and the possibility of a 'swirl' paintjob, i might as well go and buy a Jem anyway.

I guess if I waited a little longer I could afford a 555 ..... But i'll try not to.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 02:31 PM

Reviews: 1
The subject of rarity applies for Holland too. Can't recall seeing a second hand VDY os SK here for over 2 years. Germany isn't any better. Such a pity. Plus the fact that if a used JEM turns up the price is still ridiculous. Way over $1000.....

Tags
ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , edge bridge , reverse headstock , rosewood fingerboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

toneport alternatives?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode