Aluminum Body JEM - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Aluminum Body JEM

Hey guys, I've been seriously thinking about building a Billet Aluminum body JEM. This has been on my mind for a while now, but since the JEM contest and looking over everyone's designs - I need to make this happen. First, I'm wondering if anyone has done this before. Secondly, I'm wondering if there is an electronic drawing (AuotCAD, solid model, anything? anyone?) of a rear routed JEM floating around out there. Lastly, what are your thought of sound/tone etc. of an aluminum body JEM. Also, I would mount a JEM or Prestige neck to it, mounting a wood neck to aluminum body?

Throwing it out there for comments. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Aluminum Body JEM

Back in the late 80s, there was a company that made aluminum guitars. I never tried one though. Mounting a neck should be no problem at all--just fill the existing holes with dowels and redrill the holes to fit the new body. As far as templates, I only have the ones for top routed Jems.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

I have access to a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine), so theoretically I could take apart my FP JEM and measure it, but this would take some time. I could also get a hold of the drawing posted for a front route JEM and do a little bit of changes. Hand entering all that data into CAD would take a some time too. I know, looking for the easy way out. Hey, if it's available, why not use it?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:21 PM

You'll need a way to adjust the trem claw, yeah? What if you change string gauge?

Edit* I suppose you could tap them out?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
You'll need a way to adjust the trem claw, yeah? What if you change string gauge?

Edit* I suppose you could tap them out?
I would definitely tap them. They would be lathered in Anti-Seize also.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
...Secondly, I'm wondering if there is an electronic drawing (AuotCAD, solid model, anything? anyone?) of a rear routed JEM floating around out there...
Hi there,

This model appears to be extremely detailed and well defined. I hope it helps.

http://www.jemsite.com/etc/dl/virtualjem/index.htm
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnao View Post
Hi there,

This model appears to be extremely detailed and well defined. I hope it helps.

http://www.jemsite.com/etc/dl/virtualjem/index.htm

I will download that tomorrow at work, where I can open it. Thanks! I never knew this section of Jemsite existed.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:42 PM

I'm interested to see how this turns out, and more importantly, how it sounds, although I intuitively think it would posses a piercing, almost shrilly tone. If you do follow through with it though I hope it sounds decent. (Sorry to sound like a downer)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:01 PM

The discussion of how that was made is missing. I assume someone just grabbed the dimensions from the Jen blueprints? I have a Voyager body that I'd love to have measured for a project like this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1i2f3 View Post
I'm interested to see how this turns out, and more importantly, how it sounds, although I intuitively think it would posses a piercing, almost shrilly tone. If you do follow through with it though I hope it sounds decent. (Sorry to sound like a downer)
I doubt it. Aluminium wouldn't asbord any frequencies blah blah blah. Same thing as that stone guitar somebody made on here. Plus the sustain should be ridiculous.

This beast is covered with aluminum:
http://www.aristidesinstruments.com/...s-010-aluminum

Last edited by AxeHappy; 07-11-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Link to another aluminumish guitar.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Honestly, I'm really interested to see how this would turn out. I'm cautiously optimistic, but thinking it's possible I end up with a rather large and expensive block of aluminum and a spare Ibanez neck. In the end it will be a learning experience. Once I get the CNC program and the fixuring figured out, making them out of wood will be ridiculously easy. So, all will not be lost. Willing to take any advice, thoughts, or comments on the topic.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:19 AM

One thing to consider:

The original Jem was designed to have a neck the is 56mm at the 24th fret. Newer necks are 58mm. That was one of the spec changes made to the 2003 Jem. So you will want to have a particular neck in mind before you start making chips.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
One thing to consider:

The original Jem was designed to have a neck the is 56mm at the 24th fret. Newer necks are 58mm. That was one of the spec changes made to the 2003 Jem. So you will want to have a particular neck in mind before you start making chips.

THAT is a useful piece of information! Thank you. I do plan on having all my hardware (neck, bridge, etc.) picked out and in hand before I "start making chips." Still thinking about trying to fit an Edge Zero in it (I know it's a different route, which may cause problems with the lion claw). I know people are fond of it, but I was thinking about really going off the deep end of different. Probably end up going with an original Edge though.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM

I believe most of the newer trems are smaller, so they will fit in the older Edge routing. The problem is if you try and stick an Edge or a LoPro in a newer guitar.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 AM

You must also take into account that the density of Aluminium (2,7) is about 6 times that of Basswood (0,4) so the guitar will be ultra heavy, unless you cut in a lot of sound holes, which is what those companies used to do in the 90s.

Other options are semi hollowbody construction (cast/milled) or aircraft/boat construction using aluminium sheet over an aluminium frame.
Most companies who now offer Aluminium bodies will mill the front and rear separately and join these, but this is going to be a pain with the spring cavity and such.

Lastly most will also make the neck out of aluminium, since that's going to give you a number of advantages as well...
good luck

Tags
aluminum jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode