Another JS6 thread? WTFFFFFFFF? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Another JS6 thread? WTFFFFFFFF?

I recently acquired a JS6 in Austin last weekend. I've always wanted one and when one went for sale close to my city, I jumped on it. I tested it before I bought it and it sounded fine. No buzzing or static from electronics. The seller's house, which was essentially a den for multiple bands to crash and store their instruments was rather dark, especially for it being the middle of the afternoon. I could tell the guitar was far from perfect, but it wasn't until I got home and looked at it under better light that I realized the extent of how "used" it was.

Not too bad, right?

Now take a closer look.

*****WARNING FOR GORE IN PICS BELOW. ****

LOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I am determined to bring this guitar back to a respectable condition.

I plan on doing the following: (Tips are welcome, by the way)
  • Disassemble and clean thoroughly from top to bottom.
  • Steel wool / Re-Oil body. (I doubt if steel wool will be strong enough to take out all those gashes. Fine grit sand paper maybe?)
  • Replace brigde, bone nut, ferrules, knobs with chrome dome shaped knobs.
  • Fret-dress
  • Replace strings, of course
Its still up in the air whether or not I will replace the metal mounting rings and tuners with these: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G...etails#details.
I don't think there is much I can do about the wear and tear on the headstock, except maybe get a new decal.

Thanks for reading and as I said above, tips are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 PM

Re: Another JS6 thread? WTFFFFFFFF?

Refret, Clean, and any electronic issues and that's all man. That thing has MojO
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 PM

Brutal. Glad it's in a better place now!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:06 PM

Reviews: 22

Probably one of my favorite js's so far.
Definately clean the electronics, and fix the fretboard up

but i'd leave it like that for the time being especially if gigging, that thing looks awesome how it is.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Refret, Clean, and any electronic issues and that's all man. That thing has MojO
I totally agree- that kind of relic job is just too good to mess up. Keep it and play it!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:17 AM

I don't even understand how you do that? It's Mahogany right? I have a '94 Patrick Eggle Berlin that has a solid Mahogany body and you would be hard pressed to find a single scratch on the top and it has been used a lot!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 02:21 AM

Yeah, thats rad just give it a good setup and a little oil and leave it alone.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 05:00 AM

it looks cooler all beat up IMO.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 05:23 AM

Firstly, congratulations on the guitar!

It's just a lump of wood at the end of the day so I'm sure with a little work and patience, you can get it looking in great condition again.

Have fun with it - you're a lucky man to have one!

Cheers,
Sukh
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Never did I think that I would have gotten these responses, but you guys have influenced me in your unanimous opinion for leaving it how it is. I guess I just wanted to make it look as new as possible because the dings number in the thousands, and the hardware is dirtier than Amy Winehouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEE HAMMER View Post
Probably one of my favorite js's so far.
Definately clean the electronics, and fix the fretboard up
but i'd leave it like that for the time being especially if gigging, that thing looks awesome how it is.
No, definitely not gigging any more. I have a full time job, a family of four and school full time. I don't think I'll get a chance to play for more than 15 minutes at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnoize View Post
I don't even understand how you do that? It's Mahogany right? I have a '94 Patrick Eggle Berlin that has a solid Mahogany body and you would be hard pressed to find a single scratch on the top and it has been used a lot!
Not sure. The wood is pretty soft. The previous owners had to have pretty aggressive picking style and a lot of sharp belt buckles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Yeah, thats rad just give it a good setup and a little oil and leave it alone.
Are you suggesting oiling over the wood as is??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadfish View Post
Firstly, congratulations on the guitar!

It's just a lump of wood at the end of the day so I'm sure with a little work and patience, you can get it looking in great condition again.

Have fun with it - you're a lucky man to have one!

Cheers,
Sukh
Thanks. I've lusted after this guitar ever since I saw it for the first time years ago. I would have preferred to get one in better condition, but apparantly the condition is not so bad.

Question: Is there something I can soak the bridge and chrome pieces in to clean them? I've heard everything from Vinegar to Carb cleaner.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
Never did I think that I would have gotten these responses, but you guys have influenced me in your unanimous opinion for leaving it how it is. I guess I just wanted to make it look as new as possible because the dings number in the thousands, and the hardware is dirtier than Amy Winehouse.

No, definitely not gigging any more. I have a full time job, a family of four and school full time. I don't think I'll get a chance to play for more than 15 minutes at a time.
Not sure. The wood is pretty soft. The previous owners had to have pretty aggressive picking style and a lot of sharp belt buckles.

Thanks. I've lusted after this guitar ever since I saw it for the first time years ago. I would have preferred to get one in better condition, but apparantly the condition is not so bad.

Question: Is there something I can soak the bridge and chrome pieces in to clean them? I've heard everything from Vinegar to Carb cleaner.

Same with me dude - been lusting for one ever since the extremist!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadfish View Post
Same with me dude - been lusting for one ever since the extremist!
In the video, he had one with the dbl locking trem.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 PM

Reviews: 59

I'd wipe it down and get some of the dirt off before applying any oil, but I probably wouldn't bother with sanding. It just has a great vibe to it. You can tell it's seem some things, been some places.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
You can just give it a light coat of tung oil concentrating on the areas where the wood is worn raw, it should soak it right up and help protect it from further drying and cracking down the road. It will most likely darken those worn areas slightly as well, giving the guitar a more even color without ruining the "mojo."

Oh yeah, don't use the tung oil on the fretboard use some of that stuff (forgot what it's called) that has been suggested on this site before, or just clean it with a little mineral oil which is what I have used and seems to work fine.

Last edited by Dino; 09-04-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: PS
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Steel wool thru the whole board and frets, then use a lil bore oil to bring it back to life.

Check this tutorial by rich and do the fretboard thing

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm

Tags
js6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode