Any Jems with one-piece necks? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Any Jems with one-piece necks?

Have there ever been (or are there plans for future) Jems with one-piece necks instead of the three-piece ones that all mine have? My oldest Jem, a 777DY, is starting to have problems at the scarf joint where the main piece of the neck meets the headstock. I'm afraid that with continued use of my newer ones, the same thing might happen to them. It seems to me that a one-piece neck would be more resistant to punishment like that. So are there any, or would I have to get a custom neck fitted? Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:47 AM

Re: Any Jems with one-piece necks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-T
Have there ever been (or are there plans for future) Jems with one-piece necks instead of the three-piece ones that all mine have? My oldest Jem, a 777DY, is starting to have problems at the scarf joint where the main piece of the neck meets the headstock. I'm afraid that with continued use of my newer ones, the same thing might happen to them. It seems to me that a one-piece neck would be more resistant to punishment like that. So are there any, or would I have to get a custom neck fitted? Thanks very much!
Here: http://jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/spec.htm

Seems like there's quite a few JEMs with one-piece necks...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 01:33 AM

Based on this photo from the JEM "archives", I would say there is a major flaw in that spec list.........

http://jemsite.com/axes/model/jem7vwh2.htm

Looks like that 7VWH has a scarf joint, which means it's NOT a 1-piece maple neck.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 05:19 AM
dex

7Vs have one piece necks - fingerboard and headstock don't count.
7Ds have 3 piece necks (bubinga stripe) - again fingerboard and headstock don't count.

Otherwise if you count all the pieces of wood on the neck the 7V does have 3 piece neck and the 7D has 5 but Ibanez don't count them, so...................

ilia
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 07:20 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAI6
Based on this photo from the JEM "archives", I would say there is a major flaw in that spec list.........

Looks like that 7VWH has a scarf joint, which means it's NOT a 1-piece maple neck.
By definition the neck is just the rear surface of the neck, the headstock is a separate piece like the body. They are one piece necks.

One piece neck and integral headstock construction are 2 different things
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAI6

By definition the neck is just the rear surface of the neck, the headstock is a separate piece like the body. They are one piece necks.

One piece neck and integral headstock construction are 2 different things
That's a very different understanding of the term "one-piece neck" than the majority of the MI industry uses though; with most companies, a one-piece neck means that the neck, headstock, and fingerboard are all comprised from the same piece of wood-- most always maple. This is the construction method used on vintage '50s Fenders.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Vendor

Fenders don't have an angled headstock, thus, no need for a seperate piece.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 05:24 PM

What's a Fender?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 08:00 PM

Quote:
What's a Fender?
The guy's over at http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html should be able to help you out with that question mate, lol :P
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 05:45 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Fenders don't have an angled headstock, thus, no need for a seperate piece.
I'm not really criticising Ibanez's construction methods but ESP have 13 degrees angled headstocks on their M series guitars and a chunky volute - all made from 1 piece of maple.
Makes you feel secure knowing that paying that much money for a Japanese made guitar is justified by the quality of product you are getting.
Still - with the glue bonds being stronger than the actual wood, I'm sure that 10/10 times it will be the locking nut area that will break and not the glued area but it's still nice to see one piece of maple going all the way to the tuners.

ilia
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Vendor

M series ESP. 3 piece

http://www.espguitars.com/ltd_m.htm
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 10:46 AM
dex

Rich, don't confuse mediocre Korean made LTD guitars with the real deal.

http://www.espguitars.com/esp_standard.htm

ilia
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Vendor

You said M series, i didn't, and not one of those sopecifically says 1 piece, and when it's specific it says 3 piece.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
M series ESP. 3 piece
Sure you did. :P

Tags
locking nut , maple neck , scarf joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode