any lefthanded jem owners - i hope i am not the only one in - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

any lefthanded jem owners - i hope i am not the only one in

Any leftys here?
i hate not having other option than the jem(?) 555, i have a bfp because i canīt stand the 555 but having a right handed guitar isnīt the best option also.
any experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 04:50 PM

any lefthanded jem owners

No, I'm not a lefty, but just thought I'm make a comment: *Do you play right handed on the BFP, or do you play it like Hendrix did his right-handed Strats?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 03:43 AM

I'm right handed but got two left hands.
Imagine my problems when I go out looking at guitars... :silly:
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 06:56 AM

This thread reminded me of an unusual thing I saw at the weekend.
I went to watch a local band play and the guitarist was using a left-handed strat but was playing it right-handed. Sort of like Hendrix but in reverse.
When I asked about it he said that his first guitar teacher was left-handed and they used to share his guitar so he ended up learning it that way round.
It looked very unusual.
Anyone else seen someone do this?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Hammerfan on 6:56 am on Jan. 29, 2002
This thread reminded me of an unusual thing I saw at the weekend.
I went to watch a local band play and the guitarist was using a left-handed strat but was playing it right-handed. Sort of like Hendrix but in reverse.
When I asked about it he said that his first guitar teacher was left-handed and they used to share his guitar so he ended up learning it that way round.
It looked very unusual.
Anyone else seen someone do this?
Did he have it strung like a leftie?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 07:18 AM

It was strung correctly for a leftie. So yes he was playing it completely upside down.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 08:53 AM

Yeah, the one guitarist for <can't remember name right now, the lead singer's the DJ for Kid Rock> is a lefty, who plays a right handed guitar backwards, strung right handed, just held backwords.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 08:59 AM

I'm a lefty but I play right handed....no modifications for strings, just normal like you right handed guys

It makes a lot of sense to me because the fretting hand is my dominant hand, hence I am able to execute legato and other left handed things better then most. But then again on the other end of the scale....my picking just plain sucks!

Chris.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

i play with strings changed to lefty but still there are two problems

1-itīs hard to reach last frets
2-if you are playing with a raight handed guitar the big horn is down and itīs weight chance the balance of the instrument ( just a little but i can feel it)

ibanez should make lefthanded jems and universes
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 11:43 AM

It would be quite hard for ibanez to make a lefty jem model...first and foremost let us not forget that the jem is in fact a signature model, vai doesn't play left handed does he? Take a look at other makers, most makers, and if I'm not wrong no makers have signature models which are left handed. But I do agree that it's a pretty tough world out there for lefty players.

One good option that you can take would be to make a custom model. There are many many advantages to this...you could custom spec a model from scratch...even one with the essential jem stylings...imagine the possibilities, custom woods, tops, bodies, neck woods!!! Colours, finishes, swirls and inlays!!!

Chris.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 04:44 PM

HA! I'm lefthanded and I play righthanded! That's why I've got very cool guitars! Don't be a fool, start playing righthanded...It's killer!!! Our legatoes rule!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 06:23 PM

Reviews: 5

a guitarist who plays a righty completely upside down (strung correctly) is Eric Gales.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 05:08 AM

Quote:
theblackpage on 10:44 am on Jan. 29, 2002
i play with strings changed to lefty but still there are two problems

1-itīs hard to reach last frets
2-if you are playing with a raight handed guitar the big horn is down and itīs weight chance the balance of the instrument ( just a little but i can feel it)

ibanez should make lefthanded jems and universes
If you don't mind mods and reverse headstocks and old style neck joints, then why not get a lefty body made? You can then place all your hardware on it, reach the upper frets, and have balance. I know there are people out there that can produce left handed edge trems (and probably make the body look like it's a jem body as well).

Might be an idea...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 06:09 AM

Quote:
jem7vwh on 6:23 pm on Jan. 29, 2002
a guitarist who plays a righty completely upside down (strung correctly) is Eric Gales.
Albert King did too.

Steve

Tags
edge trem , edge trems , neck joint , neck joints , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

xyphos lefthanded ?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode