Any lefty jem owners? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Any lefty jem owners?

Hey,

do they even exist?

just wondering, i'd love pics

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 11:19 PM

The only left handed Jem that has been produced is the 555LH. The top line jems aren't available left handed.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 12:05 PM

I think there are a few guys on here that have custom lefties. Thats probably your best bet actually. I could have sworn there is someone on here who has a few custom lefties.
Gary - The.Godfather.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:51 AM

Re: Any lefty jem owners?

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showth...ighlight=lefty

Regards

André

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 11:08 PM

I own a Lefty Jem Jr 555. So do 299 others.
I have been gathering info on these for the last 2 years, and let me say it's not easy to find! PLEASE correct any miss-info, and please add to this list.

* Ibanez only made 300 of these. I have number 112 (check last 3 digits on serial number)
* It was a spot production in mid-late 1996
* Original retail in Australia was $2195!
* 7 of them are in Australia
* 5 in New Zealand
* 7 in Netherlands ( Thanks Patricia for that info!)
* REAL Evolution pickups, these are HOT HOT HOT!
* All lefties have pearloid pickguards and ALL are white!
* The first righties had ugly off white plain pickguards, I think the black ones had plain black too
* Yes, made in Korea.
* IBANEZ have said they will NEVER make a signature lefy again unless the endorsee is a lefty ( So lets get BUSY fellow lefties!)

A lot of people ignorantly slag these guitars off for similar reasons-
1. Made in Korea. It is very ARROGANT point to base criticism.
2. The vine inlays end at 12th fret. Even VAI himself has a few of these.
NOT ALL OF STEVE'S GUITARS HAVE INLAYS ALL THE WAY UP THE NECK!!!!
3. The righties were made for a LONG LONG LONG time, and MANY crap/ugly ones to begin with, so they didn't make a great impact to begin with.
4. The tremolo system is inferior to the EDGE system. I agree on this.

I saw one Lefty sell in the USA for $700, but then again one in Australia could fetch over $2,000.
The IBANEZ rep I spoke to said "Don't ever sell, hang on to it. If you don't play it, stick it under your bed as it will only increase in value".
I hope this is useful to some of my fellow Left handers.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 07:23 AM

Hehehe, I'm left handed, but when I learned to play, I learned righty. Its the only real way to play!

*Hugs his jem 7vwh*
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 10:56 AM

Talking Re: Any lefty jem owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible_kid_
Hehehe, I'm left handed, but when I learned to play, I learned righty. Its the only real way to play!

*Hugs his jem 7vwh*
I'm sure Tony Iommi agrees with you every night while he's counting his money. By the way, Albert King and Jimi Hendrix are coming to haunt you.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:19 AM

Jimi Hendrix was right handed but played lefty. Apparantly it felt more natural for him. I might be wrong, but I've been told this by ALOT of people.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 02:48 PM

Thumbs up Re: Any lefty jem owners?

Yeah, but he played lefty. That's why I used it to respond to "I learned righty. Its the only real way to play!" I was just being a pain in the arse 'cause it's the music that matters, not how you hold the guitar.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobophobic
I'm sure Tony Iommi agrees with you every night while he's counting his money.
And you say its about the music :P
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Jones
I own a Lefty Jem Jr 555. So do 299 others.
I have been gathering info on these for the last 2 years, and let me say it's not easy to find! PLEASE correct any miss-info, and please add to this list.

* Ibanez only made 300 of these. I have number 112 (check last 3 digits on serial number)
* It was a spot production in mid-late 1996
* Original retail in Australia was $2195!
* 7 of them are in Australia
* 5 in New Zealand
* 7 in Netherlands ( Thanks Patricia for that info!)
* REAL Evolution pickups, these are HOT HOT HOT!
* All lefties have pearloid pickguards and ALL are white!
* The first righties had ugly off white plain pickguards, I think the black ones had plain black too
* Yes, made in Korea.
* IBANEZ have said they will NEVER make a signature lefy again unless the endorsee is a lefty ( So lets get BUSY fellow lefties!)

A lot of people ignorantly slag these guitars off for similar reasons-
1. Made in Korea. It is very ARROGANT point to base criticism.
2. The vine inlays end at 12th fret. Even VAI himself has a few of these.
NOT ALL OF STEVE'S GUITARS HAVE INLAYS ALL THE WAY UP THE NECK!!!!
3. The righties were made for a LONG LONG LONG time, and MANY crap/ugly ones to begin with, so they didn't make a great impact to begin with.
4. The tremolo system is inferior to the EDGE system. I agree on this.

I saw one Lefty sell in the USA for $700, but then again one in Australia could fetch over $2,000.
The IBANEZ rep I spoke to said "Don't ever sell, hang on to it. If you don't play it, stick it under your bed as it will only increase in value".
I hope this is useful to some of my fellow Left handers.

I don't know who you got most of your info from, but don't listen to them anymore. They're rare, but there are more than 300 of them I'd almost bet money on, I've seen them brand new in store for no more money than a right handed 555. The last 3 digits in the serial number do not number the guitar, you don't have number 112, you don't have number anything, you have a lefty 555, that is all. The only "numbered" guitars they made are actually numbered, such as the DNA, they are stamped #???/300. The PMC's and stuff which were limited numbers weren't actually numbered, there are just very few of them. Don't know about the "spot production" as I've seen them in stores many more years than just one year. I believe they're in more than just the one catalogue as well, but I could be wrong on that. The Jemsite spec sheets say the lefty was from 97 to 2000. All 555's have REAL evolution pickups. As for Vai playing 555's, he's used the necks on a couple guitars, but I don't think he's ever actually played a production 555 on stage or in recordings, either way, who cares.
The lefties are more rare than the standard 555, but nothing as rare as you say about them, sorry, I suppose I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

As for the prices, good luck getting $2000 USD for a 555 lefty in Australia, maybe $2000AUS but I would have a hard time believing that too. That would make it about $1500 USD, way over what they're worth.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 03:23 AM

Thanks littlegreenman.

Sorry, I was saying that Steve has necks that don't have inlays all the way up the neck, NOT saying he plays a 555!
I've been checking out ibanezcollectors.com and ibanezregister.com re; serial number issue. Surely I must have number SOMETHING!
The serial number does have a purpose.
Other ibanezregister.com lefty 555's have the same prefix, only difference in the last 3 digits. Coincidence?
I want facts. Who can help me with facts?
Please give me more info on the NEW ones you saw in the shop, better still please fwd store details, website etc. I would greatly appreciate that.
I'm finding it hard to believe they made them for several years. If it's not a spot there would be HEAPS more around I imagine.

So how many do you think they made? 300 sounds right to me.
When I see a Lefty 555 serial number ending in 301 or higher, I will have GOOD reason to think they made more than 300.
It sure is possible, but not very likely.
Yeah, $2000 AU. I shoulda specified. The Aussie dollar is slipping AGAIN!
(I'm just stating what I saw.)
Although, how does one calculate the cost of a rare (rare-ish) guitar?
Well, this all very helpful and i appreciate your response.
I would love to hear more on this topic from yourself or anyone able help.
If there are other Left 555 owners how about verifying serial number?
Cheers, Pablo Jones
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 04:18 AM

Question Re: Any lefty jem owners?

Well, here I am correcting myself!
I have found a sreial number ending in 655, but with a different prefix! Although looking at ibanezregistry.com, the Korean models did not follow any numerical order just to make things more complex.
I also think production was from 97-99.
PLEASE HELP ME!

Last edited by Pablo Jones; 05-21-2005 at 05:41 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 07:09 AM

Rare guitars are valued by what the buyer is willing to pay. To a Gibson collector a Jem 10th is worthless.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 07:12 AM

To start with if Ibanez made a (Taiwanese)guitar,even 'only' for two years, you can bet they made a hell of a lot more than 300 of them.

'Rare' or 'Rare-ish' does not neccesarily mean 'desirable' or have any direct bearing on a guitars value.

A lot of guitars which are only produced in relatively small numbers are produced this way because it's calculated by the maker that they'll only be able to sell a certain amount of that particular model.

Tags
black pickguard , edge pro trem , evolution pickups , floyd rose , jimi hendrix , pearloid pickguard , practice amp , tony iommi , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode