Re: For Any of You who have shipped internationally
To be short and clear. i´m from Spain but I bought some guitars from years from U.S.
You (or buyer) can choose between two different options of delivery: USPS or Private courier like UPS, Fedex etc... here are basically the differences.
-Delivery estimate time: Using International Priority Mail around 5-7 bussiness days from US to Spain. Then the package it´s stopped at the custom where can be lay for around 5-7 days more... so in 12-15 days you can have the package safe on destination. There are sometimes that it takes more time but normally happens when they are more busy like on Xmas time, Summertime etc...
- Cost: Shipping a guitar, in this case a Jem with his OHSC it weighjts around 10-12 kilograms including a hard box outside and around 1.10 meters long always is around 100-120 dollars from U.S. to Spain.
- Packages can be tracked with a code number.
- You can insured the package and this service is not too expensive and always is recommended. Buyer in Europe propbably don´t mind to pay a few more dollars to cover the cost of the instrument. I can remember exactly but to cover around 1000-1500 dollars it could result a plus of around 40-50 dollars more so for the exchange it´s really fair.
** I bought around 5-7 guitars from the States in the last 10 years so I never had a problem with USPS service, and in my experience always had a quick delivery. Take in mind that guitar can be locate and followed by the tracking number and in 5-7 days can be overseas, so it´s a reasonable quick time period for the cost of service.
-PRIVATE COURIER (UPS, FEDEX etc..)
- Delivery estimate time: This is the more important factor. Delivery time normally from US to Spain (Europe) using this service could be around 2-3 bussiness days. This 2-3 days are real because this kind of companies are also custom offices, so tehy manage directly all paperwork for the duties and save several time on it.
- Cost: this is the worst thing. talking about the same guiatr, weight and size it means of a cost of around 300-400 easily, so its good money even if you are in Europe because then you need to pay more for customs fees. Anyway if somebody has tyhe money this is the quickest way to get the guitar in your hands. Also the insurance is extra and a little more expensive than in USPS services, each companie has his own political about this.
- Also packages can be tracked and followed but you probably get the guitar before you can check it out.
So, in my experience, always with an insured package if buyer don´t want to spent a fortune I think USPS service is quite good.
About the customs if buyer asks you, every country has a different tax for that in Europe but for estimation, here in Spain is the 20-22% more to pay from the declared value.
Hope it helps.