For Any of You who have shipped internationally - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

For Any of You who have shipped internationally

I was just curious about what your preferred method of shipment was. Do you use Fed Ex, UPS or the USPS...

Also any rough ideas how much it would be to send a Jem to the UK? I looked it up on the USPS site and the quote seemed kind of low ( 112.50 for 6 day delivery ) Now this of course didnt count the actual packaging to ship it, but is this quote pretty close.

I was just asking based on your experiences, what you have encountered.

Any information would be much appreciated...

I also noticed that on the USPS site when shipping domestically they have a Large Package selection but for some reason when you check the International option, this feature disappears.....I have been told its the size of the package that really matters when it comes to shipping, and not so much the weight, so if this is true, why is it they are only concerned about the weight of the package and not asking about the dimensions???

I am a newbie at sending anything over seas, so I am just looking for some advice and to hear + reviews on who they used when it came to sending guitars over seas.

Thank You in Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 01:22 AM

Re: For Any of You who have shipped internationally

Hi

To be short and clear. iīm from Spain but I bought some guitars from years from U.S.

You (or buyer) can choose between two different options of delivery: USPS or Private courier like UPS, Fedex etc... here are basically the differences.

- USPS:
-Delivery estimate time: Using International Priority Mail around 5-7 bussiness days from US to Spain. Then the package itīs stopped at the custom where can be lay for around 5-7 days more... so in 12-15 days you can have the package safe on destination. There are sometimes that it takes more time but normally happens when they are more busy like on Xmas time, Summertime etc...
- Cost: Shipping a guitar, in this case a Jem with his OHSC it weighjts around 10-12 kilograms including a hard box outside and around 1.10 meters long always is around 100-120 dollars from U.S. to Spain.
- Packages can be tracked with a code number.
- You can insured the package and this service is not too expensive and always is recommended. Buyer in Europe propbably donīt mind to pay a few more dollars to cover the cost of the instrument. I can remember exactly but to cover around 1000-1500 dollars it could result a plus of around 40-50 dollars more so for the exchange itīs really fair.
** I bought around 5-7 guitars from the States in the last 10 years so I never had a problem with USPS service, and in my experience always had a quick delivery. Take in mind that guitar can be locate and followed by the tracking number and in 5-7 days can be overseas, so itīs a reasonable quick time period for the cost of service.

-PRIVATE COURIER (UPS, FEDEX etc..)
- Delivery estimate time: This is the more important factor. Delivery time normally from US to Spain (Europe) using this service could be around 2-3 bussiness days. This 2-3 days are real because this kind of companies are also custom offices, so tehy manage directly all paperwork for the duties and save several time on it.
- Cost: this is the worst thing. talking about the same guiatr, weight and size it means of a cost of around 300-400 easily, so its good money even if you are in Europe because then you need to pay more for customs fees. Anyway if somebody has tyhe money this is the quickest way to get the guitar in your hands. Also the insurance is extra and a little more expensive than in USPS services, each companie has his own political about this.
- Also packages can be tracked and followed but you probably get the guitar before you can check it out.

So, in my experience, always with an insured package if buyer donīt want to spent a fortune I think USPS service is quite good.

About the customs if buyer asks you, every country has a different tax for that in Europe but for estimation, here in Spain is the 20-22% more to pay from the declared value.

Hope it helps.

CheersĄĄĄ

Javier
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 04:55 PM

I have also bought several guitar from the States and the cost with USPS was again $100 to $120. What I found out through experience (at least for Greece) By USPS the packages go through the Greek postal service and through the customs. Not all packages are checked and charged customs, due to the workload the customs have. BUT: a guitar is a heafty package that attracts attention so most probably its going to be stopped. Cost is appr. 25% of the declared value. The delay in customs can be from 2 days to 15.

For Fedex: A friend bought some clothes from the US (appr $500 in value) and they sent them with Fedex. It was more expensive than USPS and when the goods arrived in Greece he got an email from Fedex asking him a flat 80 euro customs process fee ($125 at todays rates) plus 25% of the value in various taxes. He also believed that all taxes would be covered by the initial Fedex charge but it was not the case...
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:05 PM

To echo the others, I always use USPS Priority International, they quote 6 to 10 business days, and best of all you package is dealt with by professionals and not kids on their first summer job The last guitar I shipped to the UK was about 110-120, so your quote is inthe ballpark. Keep in mind though that anything bigger, like Flying V case or something, and the price will skyrocket. Thick cases like most archtops and acoustics will also go 'oversized' and raise the shipping price dramatically.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:16 PM

I won't buy a guitar (or anything for that matter) from the U.S. if it is shipped via UPS. When they deliver it to your door you get hit with a huge bill for customs/brokerage fees that you did not know about.

I'm not sure how it is determined (is it a percentage, does it depend on the nature of the item?...). My friend bought a $50 shirt from the U.S., and he had to pay a $50 customs/brokerage fee upon delivery.

USPS may take longer, but I have always had good luck receiving items shipped from the U.S. at a reasonable cost (relatively speaking).
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Vendor

All of you who are talking "past experiences", USPS did a major overhaul of rate, size allotments, and insurance. Very few countries can you still ship EMS to, and even fewer can you insure anything over $650. Priority is in the same boat with a rare insurance available over $650.

If in doubt plug in the info and hit the "Show Dimensions" link, then the insurance link on the next page.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank You ALL for the quick and very detailed responses, you guys rule!

Yes, my 2 guitars will be in standard 43X18X5 roughly so no flying V craziness shapes here, but thank you for pointing that out as well....

I decided I will be using the USPS for sure. UPS seemed like a rip off with their pricing. I have used them when shipping domestically ( which maybe from now on I will deal strictly with the USPS ) but for this I wanted to keep the cost lower.

If anyone else has more to share, please feel free to post.

Once again, Thank You for all of the insight, you have all been a great help to me.

Jason
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 06:00 PM

DHL is the best in my opinion.

UPS and USPS did more than 2 weeks to deliver. DHL two days.

I rest my case
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 06:10 PM

Reviews: 1

DHL here does wonders, not nearly any of the fees as UPS/FED EX and usually arrives much earlier.

EMS also is another good option
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 PM

That new insurance limit does mess things up a bit. Maybe 5 months ago I was able to insure a RB to United Kingdom for $1,800, now no more than $650. I will not ship anything underinsured to anyone, anywhere no matter what. It's all good and fine with people who say it's OK until there's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
All of you who are talking "past experiences", USPS did a major overhaul of rate, size allotments, and insurance. Very few countries can you still ship EMS to, and even fewer can you insure anything over $650. Priority is in the same boat with a rare insurance available over $650.

If in doubt plug in the info and hit the "Show Dimensions" link, then the insurance link on the next page.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mark View Post
I won't buy a guitar (or anything for that matter) from the U.S. if it is shipped via UPS. When they deliver it to your door you get hit with a huge bill for customs/brokerage fees that you did not know about.

I'm not sure how it is determined (is it a percentage, does it depend on the nature of the item?...). My friend bought a $50 shirt from the U.S., and he had to pay a $50 customs/brokerage fee upon delivery.

USPS may take longer, but I have always had good luck receiving items shipped from the U.S. at a reasonable cost (relatively speaking).
I second this. I always get the seller to send via USPS. UPS/DHL/Purolator/FedEx are a TOTAL scam when sending items to Canada.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 04:39 AM

My Jem was shipped to Australia from US with EMS. It was $120US and super quick. That was over a year ago though.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 08:30 AM

My latest JEM was shipped from Canada to Hong Kong using Canada Post. Shipping cost was $170. It took the proverbial "slow boat to China" and spent about one month on the high seas on some cargo ship. Guitar arrived in one piece in about six weeks. The Canada Post website some minor tracking features. No customs duty into Hong Kong and the guitar cleared customs in a few hours. I picked it up at the post office. No damage, problems, torn box, F*%*d up shipping, etc. Quite painless.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:41 PM

Don't use UPS, they are crap.

Fedex is good, i've had 4-6 guitars shipped to me with this, and all of them have arrived safe and sound with minimal hassle

USPS isn't bad either, i had one guitar shipped to me with them, and they are pretty good, but I'd say fedex if they can afford ity, otherwise USPS.

Avoid UPS like the plague.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 AM

Reviews: 1

+1 on DHL. Great service, way less fees than UPS/FedEx. USPS is alright but like Rich said there can be problems especially on the insurance side of things - I also waited over a month on many of my priority international items.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode