anybody do custom vai swirls on rg guitars? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Question anybody do custom vai swirls on rg guitars?

I was wondering if anyone on here does custom swirl paint jobs for rg style guitar bodies...

If I ever get enough money I want to get one they look sweeeeet!!

I was thinking if maybe I got a cheap rg350 or similiar (something with a edge pro bridge, 24 frets, locking nuts... basically a shred guitar) someone can paint a vai swirl job on it. like if the guitar cost 350 I can pay maybe $100 extra for the paint job.

I might not be able to afford a new guitar now, but send me some pictures of your custom guitar bodies you have done and I'll keep you in mind when i get some cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: anybody do custom vai swirls on rg guitars?

A good swirls will usually set you back several hundred dollars especially with a high quality clearcoat on it.

Al at Out Of This Swirled is probably the "go to guy" at the moment, his prices aren't cheap, but are hell of good value for what you're getting.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden89 View Post
I was thinking if maybe I got a cheap rg350 or similiar (something with a edge pro bridge, 24 frets, locking nuts... basically a shred guitar) someone can paint a vai swirl job on it.
Just to be clear, a swirl is not painted on the guitar - it is applied to the guitar. While the process does involve paint, the swirl is not a finish is painted on. It's a hit or miss process based part on luck and part on skill/experience.

[QUOTE]like if the guitar cost 350 I can pay maybe $100 extra for the paint job.[QUOTE]Heh, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who could do a pro quality single color finish for double that price, let alone a swirl.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:33 AM

Reviews: 37

check on the evilbay theres some jem bodies that fit rg parts that are already swirled.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:41 AM

Reviews: 37

Let me back up a minute. Heres your options, if you want a perfectly done swirl body thats jaw dropping amazing go buy a japanese ibanez, not korean off the bay for like 350.00 then send the body off to outofthisswirled on the top of page , for the jupiter swirl it awesome.

if you are poor like many of us go to evilbay and still buy a japanese rg for the 350.00 all day long (economy) and get a nate perele preswirled body off the bay 150.00 and clear it yourself (unless skilled , not great results) but still a swirl with jem body.

third go buy the real ibanez uvmc reissue if your rich and your wife is dead.

p.s. dont get a korean ibanez . get a japanes rg570 , rg770, rg560 these are 350 all day long on the bay and are real shred guitars that stay in tune while a 350 korean indoneason or some other inferior builders are not good. and the rg 570 parts fit nate perle bodies great.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:22 PM

www.outofthisswirled.com

for great swirls. Imo the best thing available.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM

I would wait for Darren to start selling some swirls. It'd be worth the wait.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:47 PM

http://www.bnaguitars.com/index.html

Avi is truely rule
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordiesel View Post
I would wait for Darren to start selling some swirls. It'd be worth the wait.
That would be great.

However, i don't see Darren selling swirls soon.

I truly hope he gets his stuff together soon, contacts the persons who are still waiting for a swirl, fixes that and THEN offers pre swirled bodies.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 02:14 PM

I would image anyone who was still waiting on a swirl from him - should just move on and cut their loses, if you have not already done so.

If the hurricanes wiped him out - then it's all gone. And if we has doing it as side work out of his house - I doubt ANYTHING was covered under insurance. He's not going to come up with the money or bodies himself. I'm sure he feels bad about it (if this was the situation) but what can he do? Put yourself in the situation. From things I have read in the past - it sounds like he is lucky to have his life. I'm sure if he starts swirling again, and has records of who lost out - he will work with you, but for those still waiting on a swirl - I don't think your going to get it...

But if he deos start swirling - you could wait for him. There are many on this forum that are creating wonderful looking swirls! Between Out of This Swirled, Perle Guitars, that BNA Guitars...there are a lot of options to choose from! Look at all their styles, and pick out who you like best.

If $100 is still your budget - your going to need to wait. Unless you want a $100 swilr job. And then you wil lget what you pay for!
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Reviews: 6

I agree, there has been good advances in swirling guitars these days and it's not like only one guy can do it. I'd have to recommend Perle as I've got two swirls he's done and they are amazing. Plus he's probably the most resonable as far as price goes. You can get a body(new) with swirl and clearcoat for just under $400 from him. That's not a bad deal and at least the shipping is fairly cheap if you're here in the USA.

Last edited by Swirled777; 04-01-2010 at 07:57 PM.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Some of those BNA swirls are amazing
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirled777 View Post
I agree, there have good advances in swirling guitars these days and it's not like only one guy can do it. I'd have to recommend Perle as I've got two swirls he's done and they are amazing. Plus he's probably the most resonable as far as price goes. You can get a body(new) with swirl and clearcoat for just under $400 from him. That's not a bad deal and at least the shipping is fairly cheap if you're here in the USA.
I agree. I've only seen the choices of swirls Nate has done (which I was ready to choose one for a JEM until I decided on another body shape). He also does great necks as the pics I've seen of my custom look phenomenal.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 04:47 PM

I live by Nate, and have cleared a few for him when he wasn't clearing them, and I also have a swirl from him myself. They are awesome! And he is also able to CNC his own bodies, and is always improving on them, and coming up with new designs. I think he is working on necks, and getting his CNC up to do those!
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:29 PM

If Darren is not an option than Alan at outofthisswirled would definitely be my second choice. Easy...

I can't imagine finding a 'good' swirl for $100 though.

Tags
ibanez , steve , swirl , universe , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode