Anyone know what Joe played before he started using Ibanez.. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know what Joe played before he started using Ibanez..

and what year he started playing Ibanez. Just curious. I think he probably started with Ibanez around '88. Wondering what axes he used on Not of this Earth and Surfing. Wasn't sure if he was Endorsed by Ibanez during the recording of Surfing.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 09:43 AM

*hasnoclue*
strats? (highest chance, so a shot in the blue :P)
*stillhasnoclue*
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I *think* he played parts guitars, Strat shaped with 2 HBs and a Floyd. I think there's a very quick shot of one (looks like it's been painted by Donnie in a similar fashion to his Dreaming#11 EP jacket) in the "Extremist" video .

I beleive he also had a white Kramer too which I've heard (and only rumoured) that still makes it onto most of his albums.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 09:59 AM

This is actually quite a good and interesting thread. Suprised this hasnt been before.

Anyone else know some more?
Gary - The.Godfather
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 10:28 AM

He played an old worn Strat when touring with Mick Jagger
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Vendor

His main axe was a Kramer frankenhomebuild that Joe painted up with metalic markers. It's on the cover of one of those 80's mags. He signed with Ibanez in late 87', late enough they had him pose with the Power for publicity shots while they were sorting out the JS. He had Blackdog sometime around mid 88' and then had his first JS1's in 89' as well as his first Chromes.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 02:21 PM

joe's coolness has just dumbfounded me to the point of forgetting what I was going to say
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

I do remember seeing him posing with the Power model. Specifically in the monthly lessons he did briefly for Guitar for the Practicing Musician back in the day.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 03:24 PM

Reviews: 1
It's vey possible he was playing Charvel's at some point- Vai was playing them prior to his endorsement deal with Ibanez, but after lessons with Joe. They were fast friends back then.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 05:55 PM

Joe and Vai started playing when Hendrix died, according to some magazine interviews I read a few years back. Joe would learn something... work on it... nail it... then teach it to Vai. They've been friends for a very long time.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 05:59 PM

Hey Rich... that Power he was being photographed with for Ibanez publicity... also a Power on the cover of Dreaming #11, right? Harder to tell for the 2nd cover of Not of This Earth. Might also be a power?
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 06:04 PM

GP Oct 87, Joe with the 540 Power:
http://www.bossarea.com/test/joesatch.jpg (240kB)
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood
Hey Rich... that Power he was being photographed with for Ibanez publicity... also a Power on the cover of Dreaming #11, right? Harder to tell for the 2nd cover of Not of This Earth. Might also be a power?
Yes on the D11, I don't have a reissue NOTE so I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it was out of the same promo shots.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 11:52 AM

back to topic, folks... the power is an ibanez guitar

the charvel question is interesting... judging by sound it may be true... but it's hard to imagine joe with a charvel, at least for me :P
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 11:55 AM

Well one answer given already is the Kramer, also, Joe seems to have played Flying V's (from his old website), and strats (crystal planet album cover) at different points in time, so he might have used those.

Tags
access neck joint , coil pickup , crystal planet , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , flamed maple , floyd rose , headstock shape , ibanez neck , joe satriani , kirk hammet , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck joint , pearloid pickguard , satch boogie , squier strat , vintage strat , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode