Anyone Make Thier Own Jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Anyone Make Thier Own Jem?

So I have looked at this in the distant past and want to revisit it.

There are companies out there that make the bodies, necks etc., for Jems.

You can even customize them, for example "no monkey grip".

I wanted to see if anyone has really done this, and to what "success".

I have a Jem7V WH and LOVE it!

But, now I want one made with a solid piece of Mahagony for the body, without the monkey grip and with a hard tail.

I am not sure about the pick up configuration, as I am interested in an HH or HSS.

I want something completely different than the Super Strat sound...more of a Les Paul, fat/thick...freight train sound.

What are your recommendations or thoughts on this?

I have seen Pearle on some posts with good reviews...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 AM

Re: Anyone Make Thier Own Jem?

Fat sound- Neck through mahogany, hardtail bridge?

MANY people here have made custom jems, I actually think there's a few threads dedicated to it

Swirls, natural finish, etc.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:42 AM

why would anyone want a jem without the grip? Thats kinda what makes it a jem. Aesthetically anyway.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:54 AM

Yeah, I have an RG570 from 1989 that came stock with all the same JEM hardware (EDGE TREM, etc..) and I put evolution pickups in it, and to this day it sounds and play as well as my original JEMs....but not a JEM. Funny thing was I couldn't get $500 for the guitar recently. It's amazing what people pass up on not realizing how good a vintage RG with EVO pickups in it is.

But back to your original question, I made a clone of an 777SK, decent guitar, I would like to get a real JEM neck to replace the aftermarket disappearing pyramid neck thats on it now, since it doesn't feel quite right. I lot of money was put into it, so in the future I'd probably just prefer to fork over the extra dollars and get an original.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 03:33 PM

Asking for a Jem with no monkey grip, is basically requesting an RG. If what you want is to feel like an Ibanez then it must be because of the neck. Sounds like you probably want a fixed bridge RG with breed pickups. Though the breeds are designed for basswood, but to give you that sound in basswood. If it must be mahogany there is the standard RG 421, as there isn't a current production prestige mahogany RG fixed. The breed neck supposedly makes a good bridge pickup in mahogany.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:45 PM

Without the monkey grip, you will have an RG. At least get the Lion's Claw and tilt jack routed. Your spec requests sound like a custom RG which would be killer in it's own right. It sounds like a fun project nonetheless!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 11:44 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TremoJem View Post

I want something completely different than the Super Strat sound...more of a Les Paul, fat/thick...freight train sound.
I love RG's honestly because to me they're in the middle between the twangy ash or alder Strat and the beefy warmth of the Les Paul. Coupled with the HSH configuration they're IMO the most versatile guitar I've played.
That said I've found myself at times wanting a bit of that late 70's / early 80's rock warmth that to me comes best from an LP. The LP is one of the best instruments made. I just don't like how it feels, how it looks, or how the controls are laid out. I love the neck. I'm not too keen on the string spacing, 22 frets, or the 24.75" scale but I can live with those things.
Here's some ideas.

Get a Destroyer or an Iceman. A set neck would probably be best. Something with a fairly big mahogany body.

Get an old RGT. Also a mahogany body. Get a fixed bridge or block one of the trem models.

Get an RG421 or something, also, with a mahogany body.

Put Dimarzio Super Distortions or PAF 36th Anniversaries in or Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers in any of the above.

OR.... get an FRM150.

All the same, none of these things are the same sound-wise or aesthetically to a Jem. I agree with the others that without a monkey grip it's not completely a Jem but more of an RG.

You could also find a mahogany body from Pearle, as you mentioned, or try and find a JEM7EAFX which looks like a cool guitar aside from that hideous "VAI" graphic on it.

Good luck!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the great ideas.

I do agree that it would not be a Jem, although I want the Jem neck.

I guess anything is possible, so I will look at other options as well.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
So I have looked at this in the distant past and want to revisit it.

There are companies out there that make the bodies, necks etc., for Jems.

You can even customize them, for example "no monkey grip".

I wanted to see if anyone has really done this, and to what "success".

I have a Jem7V WH and LOVE it!

But, now I want one made with a solid piece of Mahagony for the body, without the monkey grip and with a hard tail.

I am not sure about the pick up configuration, as I am interested in an HH or HSS.

What are your recommendations or thoughts on this?

I have seen Pearle on some posts with good reviews...
you will cure cancer faster than getting a jem to sound like a les paul.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Agreed
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all of the great ideas.

I do agree that it would not be a Jem, although I want the Jem neck.

I guess anything is possible, so I will look at other options as well.
Yeah I kinda figured it was the neck. I really think any of the hardtail RG standards would be your best bet with a pickup swap. They are pretty close in profile to the JEM with a 400mm radius and jumbo frets.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 04:39 PM

I bought a Replica JEM from a local last year, I'll post up some pics once I hit my post limit. The body is basswood, the Body Route isn't bad compared to my Jem Jr, although the neck pocket was painted and I noticed that the neck has a bit of "slip" and play. The spring cavity was shaped for the Lo-trs II and I had to chisel out a small section of the body to get pitch up with a Secondhand Gold Lo-trs replacement.

It came with Guitarheads Megametals in Bridge and Neck and a Minirail in the middle, The Bridge pickup was a monster! - for cheap pickups they have a great sound. The "Minirail" single coil sized humbucker was interesting. but still too quiet in a HSH setup.

The Guitar has Evolutions in it now - although I may rip them out and put them in my Jem JR, the Quantum pickups in the JR sound like... Someone hid a badly set DS-1 pedal inside them.

Dropbox folder with pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e8nbvb54o...VhlVqOAFa?dl=0

Last edited by Leeroy_Majors; 03-15-2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Added Link for photo's
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 06:02 PM

Reviews: 3

I know there were a few people making good quality bodies last time I was on here. can't remember who it was though...

thing is, I found an excuse to get more guitars: I need them for teaching. Currently teaching "production knowledge" and using guitars to illustrate how the manufacturing concept influences the product and how changes in design affects manufacturing. An old 777-style JEM would be usable to help show how the design of a product can evolve (from fender-style blocky heel throgh the slimmer 777-style to various current designs, I'm using a neck-through as the extreme example of heel elimination) and how modularization can be used.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 06:34 PM

I'd say Jemsite member Zoot makes the coolest guitars on here.
May have made a good few Jems I think. Search for his threads.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:14 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86barettaguy View Post
I know there were a few people making good quality bodies last time I was on here. can't remember who it was though...

thing is, I found an excuse to get more guitars: I need them for teaching. Currently teaching "production knowledge" and using guitars to illustrate how the manufacturing concept influences the product and how changes in design affects manufacturing. An old 777-style JEM would be usable to help show how the design of a product can evolve (from fender-style blocky heel throgh the slimmer 777-style to various current designs, I'm using a neck-through as the extreme example of heel elimination) and how modularization can be used.
I think you should compare the Jem and the modern RG too. The RG was Ibanez's revamp of the Roadstar line but it was essentially a stripped-down Jem to sell at a lower price point. No lion's claw route. No handle. No scalloped frets. A straight jack instead of the angled jack. Standard pickups. Lot's of cost saving from Jem to RG. Lots of little things that add up in the cost of production.

And Joey is right. Nothing sounds like an LP except an LP.

Tags
custom , hard tail , mahagony , perle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode