Anyone (Rich? =]) want to comment? - Page 5 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:19 PM

Re: Anyone (Rich? =]) want to comment?

Excellent, Steve! Let's see some pics of your work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

I have added a couple of quick shots I snapped with my phone as I did the application of the film to that Facebook album as linked previously - going there will show these as well now.
I'll try to remember to add another once it's settled and dried - it went on great, and looks far better and smoother today, as expected.
Very much like applying a Zagg brand screen protector.

Thanks again.

Cheers
post #63 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:58 AM

Looks like you did a nice job.
post #64 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.
It looks even better 48 hours + later in fact...

Too bad Rich Harris didn't pop back in here to see the outcome here. He weighed in at the beginning and such. I thought he'd get a kick out of this.
post #65 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 04:10 AM
Vendor

What did I miss? I'm just getting back to having reliable internet in this disaster area, and in the middle of listing a 37 piece collection, so not paying attention to much
post #66 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Ah Rich.
Busy man.

June 6/15 (just past) - Mr. Vai's 55th birthday in fact - he was in my general locale doing a masterclass. I signed up to have the up-close experience of a small 200-ish person group.
Afterward was a signing session - very hurried due to a tight schedule, plus he was flying out (birthday related) early.
I brought my LNG from this thread (recap: Ibanez employee guitar, never one of the 777 run).
Things were hurried, after he signed the front corner, I briefed him on the history and flipped it over.
He said "Oh!" and went to work.
He 'Christened' the guitar as #778 and 'glyphed' it, plus date, in the appropriate spot on the back.

Photo album courtesy of FB:
CLICK FOR PICS...

Sealed in 'Evo'-style now.
post #67 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 04:44 AM
Vendor

It's all coming back. I didn't post because I didn't want to say I hated the signature on the front, but loved the one on the back. Then everything went haywire anyway
post #68 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Thanks.
It looks even better 48 hours + later in fact...
Ah that's right! It had been several years since I applied this stuff. I forgot that at first there are quite a bit of tiny air bubbles and bumps that you can't get rid of, but they shrink right down after a couple days.

I had originally bought that roll of film to protect some bodywork on a car. Rocks had totally blown off all the paint behind the tires and the car was getting repainted and I wanted to protect it.
post #69 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:57 PM

Heh, this thread is awesome. I hope you're playing the crap out of that thing.
post #70 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's all coming back. I didn't post because I didn't want to say I hated the signature on the front, but loved the one on the back. Then everything went haywire anyway
Haha - that was the general consensus on the front sig. Hopefully you saw that it's gone.
And now thanks to Takin' a Ride, I received a swatch of the protective film like the EVO replicas' markings are protected with , and have sealed up that signature in its pristine condition (I sat it on a stand and didn't play it until I had a solution for sealing the signature).

Thanks for commenting; feels really like it's come full-circle now.

And again thanks to Takin' for the film - and yes, exactly correct... small imperfections continued to dry/smooth away over about 48 hours... the perimeter is virtually invisible, and the clarity... I'm sure you know.

Drew - As soon as that film had cured overnight, I had a good play on it, for sure =]
post #71 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 03:08 AM
Vendor

Yea, that was the rest of it, glad you took it off the front. Now it's as it should be.
post #72 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Yes, indeed. Seems 'right' now.

I'm thinking I might take it and give the neck an actual cleaning to see if I can get it 'fresh' looking again - it's pretty stained, long before I took possession of it... so it probably would only clean up a certain amount...
Might be nice though...
post #73 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 02:05 PM

Brilliant story! Really enjoyed reading this. That's awesome that Mr Vai christened #778. That's about as official as it's possible to get.

Maybe you should write down all you know about the guitar and it's history and compile with pics in a dossier.
Perhaps a short journal chronicling #778's provenance. A bit like this thread, but without all the chat and in hard copy.
One for the grandkids to enjoy - or at least for you to read back in years to come....
post #74 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Hey RichS
Thanks for your comments.

... and that's a very good idea. I'm already part way there, as I documented everything that I learned from the previous owner when I finally got to talk to him.
Now I could indeed make a 'brochure' out of the history, with some printed pictures, and have that as a hardcopy.
Very good idea indeed.

Thanks.

And yes, for sure; official aspect, if in question, would always come back to that; consider the source =]

I wonder if there's a functioning registry; I know there used to be... it'd be fun to add the bonus/+1 example from the family =]

Cheers
post #75 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:07 PM

Many congrats on #778! Well done!

Tags
brian calvert , cavity cover , music store , neck joint , paf pro , rob balducci , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode