Anyone (Rich? =]) want to comment? - Page 7 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:16 PM
Vendor

Re: Anyone (Rich? =]) want to comment?

I can believe there were 12 bodies made for parts replacements, and at least as many necks, but I do not believe anything was given away as a "prize". They would sell off these parts to employees long after they served no useful purpose, and there was always plenty of things that just disappeared as security at the time was pretty much non existent. But it would be an employee guitar either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quite possible; 'A' can only relate it as it was told to him.
Perhaps that person won the opportunity to purchase it - or perish the thought, but it was something that 'went missing' and wound up in his possession. In that case, I'm sure he wouldn't tell it to him that way.

Rich, if you ever hear of anything conclusive about this from one of your deep contacts, please let me know; I'd certainly like to know one way or another how this might correlate to other possible similar 'outsiders' to the family like mine.

Meantime, I'll try to remember to link some photos of the pocket stamping etc.
post #93 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:13 AM
Vendor

Bill Reim is the only one left. JD is trying to forget everything that had to do with Ibanez. Mace was at NAMM this year and I was in the middle of talking to him, he saw somebody, said he'd be right back, never saw him again.

It is what it is, some things will never be known.
post #94 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Mace - that's interesting. Last I'd heard anything about him, he'd left the industry to work on something else entirely... was it aeronautics? Planes... something like that.

Too bad Jim feels like he needs to distance himself from that; he was right in the midst of the heyday of it all.

As always, thanks for your input Rich.
post #95 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 04:09 AM
Vendor

If I understood him right Mace is working as an auto mechanic. And he was very excited to be there and see the few people that he still knew.
post #96 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

That's wild.
I remember - I've got the picture tucked away - of him holding what must have been one of the first of not the first green Jem prototype.
It was a 'muddier' kind of almost forest green, and the grip was perilously close to the top edge, and rather larger... the pickguard still had the Blazer type 'swoop' on the top - more Tele than Strat inspired on that part.
And it had an early palm rest which was stubbier but wider, with the landing feet wide apart in a sort of delta 'triangular' aspect.
Pink pickups topped that off.
I wonder what happened to that one? =]
post #97 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 03:06 PM

Here's a link to that picture you're talking about, with the prototype;

http://www.vai.com/images/mace.jpg
post #98 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodVaibes View Post
Here's a link to that picture you're talking about, with the prototype;

http://www.vai.com/images/mace.jpg

Thanks!

Yes indeed - I'd forgotten about the rosewood board, too... I was so focused on the body itself, and the very fresh-faced Mace =]
Great photo... wonder what happened to that instrument?

Tags
brian calvert , cavity cover , music store , neck joint , paf pro , rob balducci , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in