Anyone (Rich? =]) want to comment? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Anyone (Rich? =]) want to comment?

I have a 777LNG in pretty rough shape which I'm considering purchasing.
I can't get a fix on what the value of this might be.
Here are the particulars;
- handrest gone (hence my request - wonder if Ibanez would issue a replacement for this? I'm sure they have some in storage...)
- signature is gone (might have been on the spring cover plate, which is gone)
- because of above, I have no idea which # of 777 this is...
- tone knob gone; owner installed a kill switch in there.
- pink switch tip gone; replaced with white one
- bridge 'bucker replaced with Steve's Special (I would've changed this anyway, but...)
- truss rod cover gone
- no LNG case
- nasty neck pocket fractures
- many dings and cracks on different areas of the body; one at top of elbow contour, right to wood
- knife edges of Edge ground down SO much that the trem no longer fit in there right; owner shaved the pickguard a smidge to TRY to keep it from rubbing
- dings on headstock - finish chip down to wood at tip
- 2 small holes drilled on back for hex-key holder (Gotoh type, it seems)
- neck/fretboard very dirty

... I know that's a heck of a list of negatives - but at least it really is a LNG: all body/neck stampings check out, and it's structurally sound.
The damnable thing of it, the thing that kept me from just leaving it at the store, is that the thing plays amazingly well. It's had a refret with a slightly larger fret, and the work was done very well, resulting in excellent playability.
I have a sentimental attachment to this model; playing one (at Steve's Music Store) while auditioning a Mesa/Boogie Mk III Simul convinced me hands down to get a Jem (got a Floral the next year, after paying for the Boogie...)

Comments on the dollar value of a train-wreck like this, considering that I'll have to replace some stuff, including at least the base-plate of the trem?
=]
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 08:48 PM
Vendor

Pass, too many problems. Refrets are a TOUGH sell, and with all the other problems like the trem, pass.
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 08:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
$500ish.... severely beatup dsy/sk prices... pay no more... glen
post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank-you for your comments, fellows.
Much appreciated.
It's on offer to me for equiv. to US$ 540...
So, it's pretty cheap.
I'm still considering.
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 09:09 PM

Re: Anyone (Rich? =]) want to comment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
handrest gone (hence my request - wonder if Ibanez would issue a replacement for this? I'm sure they have some in storage...)
Nope.

Quote:
- signature is gone (might have been on the spring cover plate, which is gone)
Look at different angles under different lighting and you might be able to see an impression of it. It will be located on the back, check the site for pictures of where the signature should be.

Quote:
- because of above, I have no idea which # of 777 this is...
Yep, unless the S/N on the neck joint plate happens to match the number. I've only seen 1 LNG with this... I owned it!

Quote:
- tone knob gone; owner installed a kill switch in there.
Simple wiring. As long as there's no routing - easily fixed. Can't say the same for finding the exact knob color though.

Quote:
- pink switch tip gone; replaced with white one
Might be able to find a close match.

Quote:
- bridge 'bucker replaced with Steve's Special (I would've changed this anyway, but...)
Does it come with the original pickup in the case?

Quote:
- truss rod cover gone
Easy replacement.

Quote:
- no LNG case
Ouch... that's an easy $200 bye bye.

Quote:
- nasty neck pocket fractures
Danger! Danger! Make sure they are clearcoat fractures only!

Quote:
- many dings and cracks on different areas of the body; one at top of elbow contour, right to wood
Cosmetic only.

Quote:
- knife edges of Edge ground down SO much that the trem no longer fit in there right; owner shaved the pickguard a smidge to TRY to keep it from rubbing
Can be replaced.

Quote:
- dings on headstock - finish chip down to wood at tip
More simple cosmetic 'issues'.

Quote:
- 2 small holes drilled on back for hex-key holder (Gotoh type, it seems)
Can be filled no problem.

Quote:
- neck/fretboard very dirty
Don't you love maple?

Quote:
Comments on the dollar value of a train-wreck like this, considering that I'll have to replace some stuff, including at least the base-plate of the trem?
Sounds like an ABUSED guitar. I agree with Glen. No more than $500. Walk on anything else. There's probably ALOT more wear than you observed. The guitar must be taken apart and viewed at all angles and in areas you can't see at first sight.

Gabe
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Gabe,

Yeah, lots of cosmetic stuff...
The wiring, no prob; I was actually concerned with the missing knob itself.
=]
I know they're hard to come by; I'm counting on Brian Calvert for this, as well as the switch tip.
I have actually made a truss rod cover for it already, as well as a trem cavity cover.
The PAF Pro did not come in the case; it seems the previous owner walked into the store with it, dumped it there on trade, and put whatever new guitar he got into that case again. Probably an Ibanez; that's probably where the handrest went.
BTW: no they won't issue a replacement, or no they don't have any in storage? =]

Definitely abused...
I actually have this guitar with me, and have completely disassembled it (hence confirming neck pocket and neck stamping).
I can see how extensive the damage is - and the neck pocket fracture on the bottom is more than the clearcoat... I have pressed glue into this so it won't be like balsa wood any more =]
I have ways of securing a bolt-on neck in a pocket which doesn't fully support the neck any longer. And I've retightened everything and checked; the neck does not shift in the slightest (at least, not now =])

If I keep this thing (I have about 3-1/2 weeks to evaluate it at this point - good relationship with store; I used to be their tech) it'll be an interesting restoration project.
Seems like the only real shortfall may be the handrest.
=\

Again, thank-you for your input. Your point-by-point commentary is well-taken.

=]
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 10:36 PM

The missing handrest is the shortfall???
A cracked neck pocket to me is beyond shortfall!
Sure, you shoved some glue in there, but one slip while the guitar is leaning against whatever (amp, sofa, table....) and you will have a a puzzle on your hands..........
Sounds scary
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

If I was caught leaning the/a guitar against amp, sofa, table, etc. then I would pretty much deserve the possible outcome...
That's just not my way; my guitars are mounted on the walls, or in hanger-stands.
You'd also be a bit shocked at how aggressively I test the stability of a neck before I call it 'good.'
(No, I don't glue it in... it's just left /really/ stable.)
=]
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 12:38 AM

all the cosmetic stuff could be fixed up for under $400, you can find a used cosmo edge for between 60 and 80 bux, out of all the colors of knobs, the yellow ones have been the easiest to find (I've found anyway), and with the sig missing, a refinish isn't sacrilege anyway, if you can get it for $500, I think it's worth the project, btw, those neck fractures aren't hard to fix properly if you're going to have it refinished anyway
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 12:44 AM

As far as the hand rest, this is not gonna be an easy find. The story I was told many moons ago was that there was already a system like that by another company (Kahler?), and that Ibanez discontinued that feature out of lawsuit issues. (Feel free to correct me guys...)

I bought my LNG from a Guitar Center and it had the handrest in there. I for one didn't like it. But I have the same mentality you do toward that guitar. It's the guitar that made me start playing seriously back then. So, it's kinda special in that way. So, I kept it all together and have it nicely tucked away...
post #11 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 12:54 AM
Vendor

They're out there and pop up every now and then, typically $60 to $100 depending on condition. They were put on alot of DY's and SK's too so there were more in the pool than just LNG's. But, all the LNG's got one, the order to cease must have come during distribution so the last of them never had rests as they were removed before they shipped.
post #12 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 12:34 PM

I would wait for a better opportunity.
post #13 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 01:01 PM

So it really was part of a lawsuit from Kramer? I was just under the assumption they really werent that functional. WHos got a pic of the trem system the handrest copied???
post #14 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
So it really was part of a lawsuit from Kramer? I was just under the assumption they really werent that functional. WHos got a pic of the trem system the handrest copied???
Doesn't matter if they were functional. They own the patent. When I worked at Dell, they carried patents they NEVER used just to have rights to the technology to keep others from using or expanding on it.

Gabe
post #15 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 03:53 PM

I was just told that they werent really that good of a product when I was looking to purchase one. If they stopped making them though because of the patent issue only Im gonna buy the first one I can find

Tags
brian calvert , cavity cover , music store , neck joint , paf pro , rob balducci , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode