Arggghhhh Do not buy a 77Brmr - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 03:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Arggghhhh Do not buy a 77Brmr

look, this axe is gonna show ALOT OF MILEAGE pretty quick and over the time. We all know that, regardless if we post here in agreement or disagreement. This is common sense.

If Ibanez or a dealer is spinning this differently and you believe them... shame on YOU.

Vai's Mirror JEM looks great -- as a player. If you paid $2700 for one, played it very infrequently and check back in a few years, odds are great that the mirror will show defects. I highly recommend avoiding them if you cant deal with playing them heavily without worring about the inevitable defects/blems that will happen. ...glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 03:23 PM

It'd be really interesting to be able to look at this issue in 2 years time, or 5, or 10 - will this one be one of the rare few that has cracks or will they all be doing it? Time will tell, as always..........
post #33 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
look, this axe is gonna show ALOT OF MILEAGE pretty quick and over the time. We all know that, regardless if we post here in agreement or disagreement. This is common sense.

If Ibanez or a dealer is spinning this differently and you believe them... shame on YOU.

Vai's Mirror JEM looks great -- as a player. If you paid $2700 for one, played it very infrequently and check back in a few years, odds are great that the mirror will show defects. I highly recommend avoiding them if you cant deal with playing them heavily without worring about the inevitable defects/blems that will happen. ...glen
...and AGAIN, don't forget about the neck joint cracks we've come to love and adore. You're LUCKY as bleeding hell if that doesn't happen, but we all know it's PROBABLY going to no matter what we do. This is something that was known about when they were sold. All the sites said that the finish may crack.

Rich might know this, but was there ever a warning about the neck joints cracking? Probably not. At least Ibanez was kind enough to warn about this in the first place so buyers would know to expect it, rather than say nothing at all and leave it at that.
post #34 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 04:35 PM

That sucks. Finish on any guitar should not just crack. Granted when they do overlaying graphics/swirls etc then sometimes in order to accomadate that it cracks, but the undercoat (of a solid color) should not crack or chip for many years!
post #35 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 05:32 PM

All BRM owners should expect it. Mirror plastic (or plastic similar to glass and even glass) are very brittle materials. I used to work with them and it's very difficult even to drill a hole in it without breaking it (or at least the edges of the hole). I just wonder someone had the idea to make guitar like this (with this material). Of course it's very nice, but not practical IMHO. Maybe a thick lacquer layer would help to protect it.
But don't worry, it the worst case it will look like Paul Stanley's JEM... :-)
post #36 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 06:04 PM

^^ Ah thats right it's a mirror finish!
post #37 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip
But don't worry, it the worst case it will look like Paul Stanley's JEM... :-)
WOW, when did Paul Stanley start playing a JEM? .

And i think a thick coat of lacquer is just gonna' make things look worse.
post #38 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 10:25 PM

thick coat of laquer would be pointless, first of all, it won't keep plastic under stress's from cracking, secondly, it won't stick well to that plastic, peel peel peel.....
post #39 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:45 PM

Now we know why it is called the Rock Mirror finish. It looks like a mirror that was hit by a rock! Perfect. Just wait until it is really cracked (maybe help it along), and tell people it is supposed to be that way ... a very dificult finishing process to make it like that.
post #40 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 02:25 AM

hmm I wonder how a 7BRMR finish would look cracked all over the place. It might actually look cool.
post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 03:38 AM

yeah man that really blows! I would kill someone cause i would be sooooo mad. One time i bought new motocross boots for almost $400 and they showed way to much wear after one ride and i was really pissed, but over time i got over so i'm sure you'll do the same.
post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45
WOW, when did Paul Stanley start playing a JEM? .

And i think a thick coat of lacquer is just gonna' make things look worse.
BWAHAHAHAHA Paul Stanley!

Regards

André

post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 04:26 AM

I just don't get it, if Ibanez knew the finish is going to crack, why did they still release it?
post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_Hero
I just don't get it, if Ibanez knew the finish is going to crack, why did they still release it?
One word : Cash

They know lots of people want to buy them and are willing to accept that it might crack.

They can make some cash and cover themselves with the disclaimer.
post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 07:56 AM
dex

Because Steve plays it and there were soooo many people both here and on Vai.com (most of them kids that would never buy one BTW ) that were worshiping it to high heaven and saying how it's the best idea and how well it'll do - and how it should be over $3000.........

I really hope that the 7BRM is a one year only limited issue and next year we get a 7V in a solid colour + a 7DBK replacement + a limited edition Jem 50K or Jem 20th (or both) of some sort.

ilia

Tags
ebony fretboard , edge pros , floyd rose , heavy metal , locking stud , locking studs , mirrored pickguard , neck joint , neck joints , paul stanley , randy rhoads , sounding guitar , steve vai , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode