Arrrgghh dont know what to do, any views ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Arrrgghh dont know what to do, any views ?

im really stuck in a rut! ive been wanting, no craving a js 4 a longgg time now, back in june i put a deposit down for a js20s, but complications arose and i'll put it this way i had my deposit back months down the line! i then thought that i would just buy a js100 and chrome it or turn it into a donnie, and of course upgrade the hardware. After rough calculations i thought;" hold on why don't i save alot of hassle and money and get a 1200?"
The problem is though;
1. I really wanted the js20s because the design is frickin amazing, but i would have to uprgrade the crappy edge 3 and the inferior pickups.
2. i would love to customize a js100 to become either the chromeboy or donnie, but again hardware upgrades !
3. the 1200 is a stunner with everything already on it, and i wouldnt be paying for things like routing, paint, setups etc....
I really am just confused as to what to do, in an ideal world i'd have all four guitars but of course it isnt ( unless your rich harris who has the ultimate collection, oh how i envy him) SO if anybody can offer some insight to my frustrating dilema, i would greatly appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM

Re: Arrrgghh dont know what to do, any views ?

I don't think I would go the JS-100 route. It would be hard to resell one even if you customize it. I would recommend going the JS-1200 route. Just my two cents.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

i appreciate your advice moebius
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:32 PM

Reviews: 59

I too suggest the 1200 route, it's way worth it. BUT, if you really want a custom JS of some sort, see if you can find a used 1000. If you plan to refinish it, find a cheap beat up 1000. Sure, you might still want to upgrade some hardware on it down the road, but you wouldn't have to do any woodwork. You'd also have a solid guitar while you saved up for a serious custom paint job.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:35 PM

or go total custom.
get everything made from scratch to your specs.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

if i were to go down the js100 path, i highly doubt that i'd sell it. but you never know i guess, maybe i'll get enough money to replace the potential copy chromeboy/donnie for the real thing . probably see joan of arc before that though
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

thats a pretty good idea actually smooth55, i'll bear that in mind.
i would go completely custom though jaden, thats waayy to expensive for me, but thanks
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM

Rich has some used 1000TB in the used section. That or troll around in the waters of the bay for a deal. Add in the cost of your customize job and you could have a pretty sweet guit-box for about the same as the 1200 new. But if you want it sweet out of the box, it's tough to beat the 1200.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:48 PM

I've had the same thoughts as you about custom JS guitars, I went with the 1200. I'll go the custom route when I've got a bit of cash lying around...when someone gives me some money...when I win the lottery...ummm, maybe I'll just stick with my 1200 and save myself a painful explanation to the wife.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

1000 btb could be good, doing what you did also sounds good and then save up for a project aftwards like you said. my advantage would be that i don't have a wife to explain to aswell
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 06:51 PM

I'm with smooth55 on this one. Get a 1200 or a beat up 1000 if you want to go for a custom finish. A 100 is just money down the drain IMO. There are a lot of used 1000s out there for not much more than a 100 anyway.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

yeaaa i'am starting to feel that i should get a 1200, and save up then for a customisation on another js later on down the line. thanks for your input ryanb
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

by the way are js100's really that bad, appart from the pickups and trem, is there anything else poor about it?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firks View Post
by the way are js100's really that bad, appart from the pickups and trem, is there anything else poor about it?
They are decent but just over priced. I have a JS-100 and a JS-1 and the JS-100, in my opinion, has a less "refined" feel to it. It feels cheaper. The neck feels a little thinner on the JS-100 than the JS-1. But the big difference is the components as you mentioned. I upgraded my JS-100 with new pickups that help, but it still does not feel like playing a JS-1 or 1000. Feels like less care was used in making the JS-100.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
They are decent but just over priced. I have a JS-100 and a JS-1 and the JS-100, in my opinion, has a less "refined" feel to it. It feels cheaper. The neck feels a little thinner on the JS-100 than the JS-1. But the big difference is the components as you mentioned. I upgraded my JS-100 with new pickups that help, but it still does not feel like playing a JS-1 or 1000. Feels like less care was used in making the JS-100.
that would sound about right then, being korean made and all. i thought as much , thanks for confirming my thoughts moebius

Tags
js series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode