asking pics from ppl with the white jem (JEM7VWH) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

asking pics from ppl with the white jem (JEM7VWH)

hey

im thinking of buying the white jem but its gonna be used one

prob 1-3 years old

alot of ppl saying the gold on the hardware is fading away,
so i was wondering if anyone have pics of used jems

u can post here or if u cant plz send thru icq my way

thanx peeps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 02:15 PM

Since the VWH hasn't really changed in the 10 years it's been available, they'll all look the same.

Are you simply looking for pictures of faded hardware or what? If you just want to see what a used VWH looks like, then you can't really get much better then the pics here:

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitars1.html

As for the hardware- the gold finish can dull a bit over time. Normally, this happens most on the bass saddles of the tremolo. It's normal- just about ANY gold-plated hardware will do this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

thanx bud but i need some close ups on the hardware

the one in the big pic had black harware and the rest are too far

hmm yea i am looking for faded hardware to see how bad it fades

thanx for replying
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 02:56 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
here's where i'd like to say...

who cares if it fades or corrodes.

get it to play to perfection and let it wear as it wears. this all depends on climate, care and to some degree your body chemistry (sweat/acidity)... glen
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 03:19 PM

For some people appearance of an instrument IS a huge issue. If the hardware starts corroding then it's at a greater risk of needing to be replaced someday. When hardware is replaced on instruments it lowers the overall value of it.

Not all folks that buy Jems are players and not buyers are collectors. Considering the market right now for "reliced" guitars, or instruments that have the wear marks on them that show that they've been played the lifespan of the instrument as a whole is a very important aspect people are paying alot of attention to.

To sell that short is to really sell short the timelessness of what Jems will be in the future. And since most speculation has been that of the non-limited production line, the VWHs are probably going to be legendary. It is a big deal.

No one wants to buy a guitar that looks great and plays great but will look cruddy in a few years due to completely reasonable treatment.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 03:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

thanks you just made my point clearer

any guitar (or object) is subject to wear and tear. if you're afraid a VWH will wear, then common sense dictates you best not purchase any pricy instrument. All guitars will wear, subject to what i posted above ...glen

ps - the VWHs are not collectable, nor will they ever be in our lifetime given their 10 year production run and counting.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 03:23 PM

Oh the gold wears off a bit on the saddles and the side of the trem but that's inherent to gold hardware. And it doesn't mean diddly squat. Gibson's Black Beauty is an even bigger [email protected] with those golden pup-caps. It's not that dramatic and I consider people who object to it whinoes...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texter
Oh the gold wears off a bit on the saddles and the side of the trem but that's inherent to gold hardware. And it doesn't mean diddly squat. Gibson's Black Beauty is an even bigger [email protected] with those golden pup-caps. It's not that dramatic and I consider people who object to it whinoes...
Really?

One Jem in mint condition with no hardware blemishes.

Second Jem with the gold worn off.

Which one commands a higer price? Which one would a collector be more apt to purchase?

Thanks for playing...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
thanks you just made my point clearer

ps - the VWHs are not collectable, nor will they ever be in our lifetime given their 10 year production run and counting.
The Jem line has been fraught with color after color that are victim of the 80's mentality. Very few Jems posess the scheme to have any sort of timeless quality to it. Even with a 10 year run they're collectible; look at the price they command now! Bottom line...if you want a Jem and you want one that isn't the "avacado green" on the 70's you're probably looking at a VWH. Actual depreciation post-sale with little to no play time isn't all that huge either. Buy a Les Paul and walk out of the shop with it and it'll drop a grand!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 03:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

VWHs: $2560 list price w/ case that sells in parts of the USA for $1800. You can regularly buy VWHs used in mint condition at 50-60% off LIST.

trust me the VWHs are as collectable as a 2003 LesPaul. Nice instruments but not collectable by any defination of the word ...glen
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
VWHs: $2560 list price w/ case that sells in parts of the USA for $1800. You can regularly buy VWHs used in mint condition at 50-60% off LIST.

trust me the VWHs are as collectable as a 2003 LesPaul. Nice instruments but not collectable by any defination of the word ...glen
If you're spending $1800 new for a VWH then I've got a bridge to sell you.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 03:47 PM

If you actually believe that a VWH is or ever will be collectable, I've got some great beachfront real estate in Florida to sell YOU!

$1800 for a VWH w/ case? Musician's Enemy sells them for $1750, and they seem to go through them just fine, as does GC. Not everybody does their homework- some people just want the guitar and don't feel like spending the time to check around with a dozen different places.

Judging from the ever-so-slight differences in resale value and the effect that corroded hardware actually has, I'd take a broken-in JEM7VWH with some hardware tarnishing over a "mint" one anyday. A lot can be done with the extra couple of hundred $$
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

thanx for all the post

i guess u right

ill go check it next week

i also have some one selling a jem77

he wants more than the dude with the vwh

how much its really worth?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough
Really?

One Jem in mint condition with no hardware blemishes.

Second Jem with the gold worn off.

Which one commands a higer price? Which one would a collector be more apt to purchase?

Thanks for playing...
A 7VWH isn't a collector's item...mostly the first one to go when they're short on cash or whatever...and they're meant to be played on, not looked at.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 07:24 PM

Ten years old and the picture was taken yesterday. Ah, the benefits of my weird don't-lean-on-the-trem technique.

(This isn't from being precious either; when I first began learning I always made the guitar go very slightly sharp leaning on the trem, so cut it out entirely.)

For some reason, the locking nut and retainer have corroded worse than the other parts.

Tags
ebony fretboard , edge trem , edge trems , les paul , locking nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode