ATD or Herc PMC swirls... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

ATD or Herc PMC swirls...

The PMC is my second favorite swirl of all the Jems so far, and I've found that except for a select few, most of them seem pretty drab and not very inspired.. to me, that is. I've taken a look at Herc's PMCs and they seem a lot more vibrant in terms of color and more impressive.

Do not get me wrong, ATD has done some of the best swirls I've ever seen and I have no intention of starting a flame war or a gainsaying competition, I'm interested in other opinions of the PMC though. Is it me, or do they look a little on the pastel side compared to Herc's?

Thanx...

-Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

My apologies, I made this post to the wrong forum, could this be moved to Jem / UV forum?

Thanks so much, mod dudes!

-Alex
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 10:51 PM

The 'official' ones are ATDs. I think the colors they used (orange, pink, purple and green) are probably the worst color combination one could come up with.

I was talking about this with Simon earlier today...it almost seems as though the PMC color combo was designed by Stevie Wonder, rather than Stevie Vai.

To answer your question...although both say they can do the swirls any way you like 'em, I prefer Herc's to Darren's, from the ones i've seen.

~K
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 11:07 PM

I'm just the opposite, I way prefer Darren's swirls on the whole, but, pretty much all PMC's I've seen were ugly to me, I hate the color combo.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 07:20 AM

I like some but not all of Herc and Darren's swirls.

Personally though I have had my swirl done by Darren because he is the guy-he did the Ibanez ones and that's good enough for me.

I have seen (in person) custom ones by Herc and Darren and like both. Not all swirls are great, I dont like some PMCs or DNA ones or even the MKR UV ones (the latter not done my Herc or Darren). Swirls are often better in person than on digital camera pics.

Swirls are very much art and everybody sees different things and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My one is coming soon I hope!!!

Cheers

Simon
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 11:04 AM

Well I loved my pmc swirl and the dna, which I'm sure Darren did both...

however, out of the multitude of swirls I've seen, most were, uninspiring to say the least.

After looking at Herc's site, I would 100% go with him, cause I liked almost everything he has up, not everything, but almost everything. I think his swirls have something unique, they are inspiring, beautiful, cool, stunning, interresting and I just plain love'em!

Let your own opinions be your judge...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 11:39 AM
rvj

Herc does indeed have some very nice swirls on his site. I have to agree on the PMC's. The majority that I have seen are displeasing and have way too much yellow in them. I also feel that many of the PMC swirls are just plain ugly. However, my fav PMC is the one in the Ibanez catalog from '92-'93. It is mostly orange and black with many intricate lines throughout.
DNA's are my favorite followed by the UVMC's and GMC's. Overall, my least favs are the MKR's. Although I have seen a select few that I like.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 01:55 AM

My new fav is the black, red and white-swirled PBK on Hercīs site. The combination of the colors with the rosewood neck and the white pyramids (donīt forget the large monkey-grip) is really easy on the eyes. If I could I would do the same, but living in Sweden makes it all so hard, sending it away and all that.

All in all I prefer Herc.

Otherwise the DNA is really schweet.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mange
My new fav is the black, red and white-swirled PBK on Hercīs site. The combination of the colors with the rosewood neck and the white pyramids (donīt forget the large monkey-grip) is really easy on the eyes. If I could I would do the same, but living in Sweden makes it all so hard, sending it away and all that.
That one was just sold on Ebay two weeks ago. I love it too. Wish i had the money and the will to buy it. item #914109043

~Kenny
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 01:59 PM

It used to be owned by a jemsite member... David Ho?

I really liked that one to and was very tempted to get it!

Simon
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 01:49 PM

I must agree with cerealk, swirls simply are hard to capture in photos, you must see them in person to get the full effect of the swirl. I have a pmc(original) and my bro. has a dna swirled uv from herc and real dna#203 and All 3 just look boring in the pics compared to what they look like in person. who ever you decide to go with, I'm sure you'll love it. the only bad part about an ATD swirl is the long wait.

Tags
atd swirl , dna swirl , ibanez catalog , rosewood neck , stevie vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode