awaiting one of my first Jem dream guitars.. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

awaiting one of my first Jem dream guitars..

i will have a Jem777VBK (very good condition) on Wed. the 7th. i have been wanting that model for a LONG time ! probably around '89 when i was still in high school and i saw a pic of one in a guitar mag. i have never had the chance to play one and haven't actually seen one in person. i know a lot of people consider it a "boring" Jem, but it just screams, "PLAY ME TO DEATH!!".
i am on pins and needles with this and just want to ask what VBK owners think of the pups? i have a DBK w/ breeds and i put an evolution in the bridge of my alder Strat (sounds awesome!) and i am very interested in a comparison of the different pups. i am getting a green evo i can drop in but am anxious to play/hear the PAF pups. i appreciate any feedback.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:56 PM

Dude, if it's one of your dream guitars, then rock on. I think a beat up VBK would look pretty tight.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 11:33 AM

PAF Pro's are one of my favourite sounding pickups.. lovely things
Evo's are great aswell but much more agressive and slightly thinner sounding to me.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:03 PM

congrats!
there´s no greater feeling than awaiting a new guitar.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 01:36 PM

Cool

BTW. You know it eh? We want pics.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

pics are a must - epecially ones playing it on stage. i will also post some pics of my custom Jem that i haven't got from my singer yet- his wife has the copies.
andersPGM - i disagree, the feeling of "awaiting" a new guitar SUX! the feeling of holding the new guitar for the first time on the other hand....
are th PAf pups the same level or output as the Evos or Breeds? i switch guitars a few times a night on stage and i need my levels to be fairly close. i am putting a Seymour TB5-custom hum in the lead of my Wolfie 'cause the output of the Tone Zone wasn't hot enough for the job. if the TB5 doesn't work (it sounded AWESOME in my S2020xav!), i will order the orginal EVH pup from Peavey for the bridge. i am hoping to have a close level on the PAF pups in the VBK, otherwise a matching Evo will move into the bridge.
i am SOOOO anxious to get this guitar!! it's been like 15yrs in the wings since i first said, "i must have that guitar!"!!

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

well, today is the 7th and she should be here this afternoon. all i can think about at this point is opening the box and seeing her for the first time in person!!! i feel like a kid on Christmas eve!!!
i'll post some more when i get the chance to play her and give a full review of my experience - man, the clock is ticking sooooo sssslllloooowww!!!! UPS doesn't deliver till after 3pm!! AAAHHH!!!

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

AndersPgm, i guess you are right, the anticipation IS very exciting - but very gruelling at the same time.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 12:48 PM

Congrats. The VBK RULES! I've had mine for 10years and 7 days now and she's been tatooed on my arm for the past 8 years.

BTW - 7/7 is a good date for a Jem isn't it. I got my SK on 7/7/97.

July 7th should be international Jem and Universe Day or maybe even Jemsite Day. Now, everyone take off from work and play yer guitars!

Mike 777 Haug
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

WOW!! i never thought of that!! that is pretty cool!! the 7th day of the 7th month!!
i did get it today and she is BEAUTIFUL!! i spent almost 1 1/2hrs getting her set-up and minor cleaning. she plays very smoothly and the neck and frets feel very nice. the look of the vine in person is AWESOME!! the guitar is very striking!
i do have a couple issues at the moment - their is a small crack in the neck at the usual place - following the grain at the locking screws on the back of the headstock.
i need to have a repairman look at it to and give me a true idea of what it will take to fix. it doesn't look bad and looks like the lower 1/2 inch of it (below the screws) has been repaired and sanded smooth. the upper part (3/4 inch) is slightly raised and starts out as a point and widens out to 1/2" but seems to get deeper into the neck as it widens.
i don't believe it is a super problem, but i do feel like i hadn't been informed about this as i wouldn't have made the deal to buy it had i known.
it is possible that the crack could've been worsened in the shipping as i believe the seller is a real stand-up guy and wouldn't purposefully try to mislead me. he packed the guitar in an Ibanez hardcase and put some packing stuff around the case. is it possible that the guitar could've been damaged in transit?
this kinda took the wind out of my sails. i know it can be repaired as it isn't a complete split - just small a crack. my head started to spin when i saw it though.
the pups in it aren't original either. they are probably dimarzio's that replaced the originals as they are a grass green color and flourescent green stickers were placed over them to match the rest of the guitar. i don't think the knobs are original either. the guitar looks GREAT from a couple feet away, but if you get close and look - you can see these picky things.
i am speechless. the guy i bought it from is pretty cool and i totally give him the benefit of a doubt on this, but i do feel i overpaid (by maybe $100-$150) due to the pups and the neck issue.
any good words on this to make me feel better or how to deal with this in any way would be very appreciated. thanks guys!
(i do love the look of this guitar and can't wait to get past this "sting" i'm currently feeling!)
Todd

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 03:03 AM

Congrats dude, Hosting pics again am i ;-)

Seriously, pleased for you, Will get your parts off soon, I also managed to find studs and anchors and some springs and a claw for ya :-)

Rob
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

thanks Rob. i hope you are doing well. i'll let you know when they arrive - how did you like the pedals
i actually fell asleep last night with the VBK in my arms i couldn't sleep and was tweaking and playing it and the next thing i know, i woke up with her in my lap!
i think i will have a wonderful new "relationship" with this guitar - but only if she calls me the morning after!

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

am i still able to get flourescent parts (knobs, pickups, ect.) to match?
i am guessing from the serial #, 903157, that it is a 1990 model which would make it 14yrs old.
i can only imagine the stories it probably has and i would be very curious to find out some of the history - original owner and some of that stuff. maybe i'll post a new topic to see if anybody here has ever owned her at one time or another.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69
am i still able to get flourescent parts (knobs, pickups, ect.) to match?
i am guessing from the serial #, 903157, that it is a 1990 model which would make it 14yrs old.
i can only imagine the stories it probably has and i would be very curious to find out some of the history - original owner and some of that stuff. maybe i'll post a new topic to see if anybody here has ever owned her at one time or another.
Wanna see if she's been around the block a few times eh?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 12:49 PM

My VBK has what appears to be white knobs that were sprayed fluorscent green. These are the original knobs as I bought the guitar new. A few years ago, I bought some Ibanez replacement parts and I got solid fluoro-green plastic knobs (not painted) - just like what's on the DNA.

Mike 777 Haug

Tags
alder strat , bobbin toppers , custom jem , guitar mag , maple neck , paf pro , paf pros , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode