Back up guitar for JEM - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:32 AM

Re: Back up guitar for JEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhooked
I love my American Wolfgang as a backup, if not the main guitar sometimes....
I finally got to play one of those. Sounded great. Only real problem (besides 22 frets which I can usually live with) was the shape of the neck was very uncomfortable for me.

I'm thinking RG550, 1570, 2570 etc. I use a Carvin DC127
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 06:18 AM

Your gonna kick me in the nuts for this, but the I found after owning lots of bland RG550's/505's that the best complement to my sexy DBK JEM in the Jackson DK2S. Why? the Duncan pickups are miles better than the crappy V8 things, also you don't have to spend any money on it to get it to sound good (always the sign of a good guitar any JEM owner will confirm), and more importantly it has a sustainer!

The creative door that opens is quite massive, unlike Vai (sorry Lord Vai!) who uses it as a bit of a one trick pony, it has two really good advantages, the neck pickup is active so it gives a great range of tones especially when out of phase with the middle pickup, and of course the pickups gain can be manually altered to match the other pickups, now if you buy an Evo bridge for an RG550 your neck pickup is instantly even more crap, but with the DK2S no problemo!

Also you can do fretless guitar impressions which is cool between songs, the RG is nice but it's not a good all round sound its thin in places and lacks middle, this is mainly due to the wizard neck, grab a 505 its wizard 2 neck gives a warmer thicker sound (but like the 550 lacks real bite in the high frequencies).

So get the DK2S or a soloist! (even better) and you will be surprised just how flexible your range of tones and gain becomes with no extra cost incurred. I was lucky I bought my DK2S of dbay here in the UK for £180 in near mint condition because the guy who owned it did not know what is was!

Word of warning thoughL the Jackson pots wear out quite quickly so if your a big volume knob user avoid!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 01:45 AM

If you want something that sounds and plays similar to a Jem than you have to go for a RG550, without a doubt. If you want something that can do it all and looks and sounds great, than a PRS Custom 24 is the guitar!
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 02:45 AM

what are the differences between rg550 and rg570?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooshball
what are the differences between rg550 and rg570?
rg550 has a pickguard (frontrouted) and the rg570 is not (routed in the back).

Regards

André

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:42 AM

does any RG series have the scallopped frets? and are the prestige series much better?
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 04:55 AM

Nope - the RG never came with scalloped frets as far as I know. Can't say about the Prestige series as I've never played one.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman
Nope - the RG never came with scalloped frets as far as I know.
Correct .

Regards

André

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 06:35 PM

Smile Re: Back up guitar for JEM

I have a Peavey Van Halen made in Korea...
When I tryed it I falled in love with her, the price was 450 euros and the sound very fantastic!!! I didn't believe it!!!
I suggest you to try it!!!!
;-)
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Dalla Fiore
I have a Peavey Van Halen made in Korea...
When I tryed it I falled in love with her, the price was 450 euros and the sound very fantastic!!! I didn't believe it!!!
I suggest you to try it!!!!
;-)
I finally got to play a Peavey Wolfgang. The neck really didn't agree with my hand very much but other than that it was a beautiful guitar. Sounded great!

UPDATE: I just noticed I had already posted this... wtf... I didn't think I had posted on this thread since I got back from Baltimore or way before even. Ignore this post.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 09:04 PM

Reviews: 4

Well, I just bought a SWEET 1991 Charvel Fusion III.
I'm not sure what the body is made of, but it has a bolt
on maple neck w/rosewood f. board, a stack/stack/hum pickup config.
and REAL shaller floyd rose trem. the neck is a little wider
than the neck on my 1987 rg550.

Man....that thing stays in tune better than any edge trem I've had, and
that includes my 87 rg550 that I bought a new gold lo-pro and new studs for!!
Yes, I used the chap stick and everyting rich recomends...
The pickups are stock.The bridge pickup is SO FREAKIN FAT!!!! I also have
a 98 520qs that I put a tone zone in and I'm tellin' you that charvel's tone
is just as fat....I've seen them go for around $275-350 on "evil" bay..
Very nice guitars for the money!!!
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 10:43 PM

Definately a high end RG to back up a Jem, I have my 7620s to back my PWH, although as Tom suggested, a hardtail would be cool too.

Tags
alder body , beautiful guitar , bridge pickup , dbk jem , duncan pickups , edge trem , evo bridge , fixed bridge , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fretless guitar , jem neck , les paul , maple neck , near mint condition , neck pickup , peavey wolfgang , scalloped frets , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode