Basswood vs Mahagony Question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Basswood vs Mahagony Question

OK, so I have a very subjective question. I recently acquired a JS6 and a JS1600. They are my first Mahagony JSs and I expected more of a difference in tone. I have had more experience with the JS1600 (because I'm not afraid to play it) and I can tell it has a different quality than the basswood JSs but its hard to put into words. Anyone care to use those subjective tone terms and try to characterize the qualities of those woods, specifically in a JS setting. I feel like I have a much better grasp on the tone difference between the ebony fretboard on the 90th and the rosewood ones, but this one I am having trouble getting a sense of. Anyone care to comment?
OCDemon is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 05:37 AM

Re: Basswood vs Mahagony Question

Hi there, I have a JS1000 and a JS6000 and to my ears there are definite tonal differences. As you say these things are totally subjective but here goes: To me the mahogany has a much thicker and warmer tone - heavier on the mids and bass, its especially noticeable when playing through the neck pickup. It sustains a lot better too although I suspect some of that is down to the fixed bridge.

I recently got a Japanese JS700 (also mahogany, but to me feels way heavier than the 6000) and again that's different, although with the P90s it's not really a direct comparison....was pleasantly surprised with the tones I get out of it though.

Why are you afraid to play the JS6? And is there any difference between the sound of that and your 1600? Have read about paint and finishes supposedly affecting tone - is that the case in your experience?

On a side note, I'd be open to trying different pickups in mine so if anyone has any experience of changing the pickups in a mahogany JS then I'd be keen to know what you tried and how it affected the tone.

Cheers

David
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

I am afraid to play the JS6 because it is in very very good shape and I want to keep it that way. My JS1600 has the PAF Joe Mo'Joe pickups and I love it, I would definitely recommend that with the mahogany guitar. I also agree that it's hard to tell what's due to the wood and what's due to the string through body vs floating trem. Anyway, I am happy with it, I just feel like I have trouble pinpointing the tonal differences. I feel like my JS1600 actually gives a slightly clearer sound through distortion and possibly gives less midrange which I know is contrary to what one would expect. I know that every guitar has it's own sound so you never know.
OCDemon is online  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 04:19 PM

i am mostly unable to hear different tone out of wood. I doubt most can. Many claim they can, i can not.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Oh I can definitely hear it. And the difference between the Luthite 10ths and wood is very clear to me. And as I said the ebony vs rosewood fretboard is obvious as well. It's just that the difference between basswood and mahogany isn't as distinct as I expected, it's very subtle and as such hard to get a grasp on.

Last edited by OCDemon; 10-15-2010 at 06:25 PM.
OCDemon is online  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'm in a similar position to you, i've got basswood, luthite and mahogany JSs.

the mahogany guitar to me has a more "forceful" tone with more "push" to it. The basswood has more "squash" or "sponginess" to the tone that almost sound like it has more gain and compression going on.

How're those adjectives for some subjective jibberish?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Vendor

1600's are going on closeout. I just got home with a deep stack I cherry picked. Half of them I'm going to convert to 6's, the rest sell as 1600's. Anybody interested drop me a line
Rich is online  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Good plan. I think these are great, and especially to covert one to a 6 gives you a playable js6 you don't have to worry about so much. Buy em up guys!
OCDemon is online  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

I was always hesitant to get a non locking JS and I am so in love with the JS2000 I wasn't sure. But there is a difference in the tone and feel between the mahogany and the string thru, it is a pretty different guitar. I don't regret getting the 1600. (don't regret the 6 either, but that's in a clump with my too nice to play guitars.)
OCDemon is online  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 09:51 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
1600's are going on closeout. I just got home with a deep stack I cherry picked. Half of them I'm going to convert to 6's, the rest sell as 1600's. Anybody interested drop me a line
Interesting. Do you think you could push Ibanez to put that silver onto the JS1000s or JS1200s?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Vendor

I've been pushing for the poor mans chromeboy for 13 years.
Rich is online  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Bought one
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Vendor

Thanks Joe. I'll get on it just as soon as I'm mobile again! Nothing like having your back go out while you're standing still!
Rich is online  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Can relate but I wrenched mine playing ...uhhh golf yesterday Hoping you can ship no later than Wed so I can jam next weekend!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Thanks Joe. I'll get on it just as soon as I'm mobile again! Nothing like having your back go out while you're standing still!
wtf happened man!? sitting still?
Get well soon sir!

Tags
js1000 , js6 , jss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode