Best 7 string ever? - UV777BK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Best 7 string ever? - UV777BK

Do you think the UV777BK is the best 7 string ever made by Ibanez or any company, considering playability, quality of construction and tone (not looks because it is subjective)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 09:09 PM

Best 7 string ever?

It's the best for me, and for the money.
I think if you had a hand made custom you might (just maybe, heh heh) have a better guitar, but that'd run about(the high range) 3K.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 01:31 PM

Best 7 string ever?

absitively posilutely
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 01:41 PM

Best 7 string ever?

Totally personal question...

I find the UV perfect for my tastes. *The neck is to die for, not as thin as the RG necks, and perfectly profiled. *Tone is simply perfect for what the guitar is...i.e. your not going to cop stevie ray on it.

I think it is the best one available, bar none. *I have played many others. *Have heard good reviews on the Carvin seven strings, but I like the UV for the combination of history, looks and tone all rolled up into one beautiful pyramid inlaid package.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 03:08 PM

Best 7 string ever?

Quote:
Quote: from Mirrored CAT on 8:07 pm on June 4, 2001
Do you think the UV777BK is the best 7 string ever made by Ibanez or any company, considering playability, quality of construction and tone (not looks because it is subjective)?
I'd say playability, quality (to a certain degree), and tone are just as subjective as looks.

As for my subjective opinion, my RG7CT plays better, looks better, and seems built better than any Universe I've come across.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Best 7 string ever?

Quote:
Quote: from cmartin on 3:08 pm on June 5, 2001
I'd say playability, quality (to a certain degree), and tone are just as subjective as looks.
I don't agree (but that's why opinions exist). For example, I don't like the sound of a single-coil (even more if it's "personified" in a Strat), but I can admit when it has good or bad tone. But you're somewhat right, in the sense that people will judge mostly within their preferences at first.

It's good that you're so confident of your RG7. It must be a good guitar .

I would like to hear more opinions on this subject. Keep them coming.

(Edited by Mirrored CAT at 4:38 pm on June 5, 2001)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 07:35 PM

Best 7 string ever?

From Meriam Webster:
subjective...
4 a (1) : peculiar to a particular individual : PERSONAL <subjective judgments>...

Since you and I could each listen to a guitar or play one and have completely different opinions about their merits or lack thereof, tone and playability are charateristics equally as subjective as looks.

Some feel the UV is a perfectly balanced, wonderful sounding instrument. Others disagree. Neither are necessarily wrong.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Best 7 string ever?

...won't argue...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 01:36 AM

Best 7 string ever?

Well, I don't think there's such a thing as a bad tone.
A squire strat through a GX-15 can be a good tone. If you're looking for a thin, tranzistorized, 'itty bitty speaker' tone. As a base tone, I don't think it would be a good idea, but for 3 seconds in the middle of a song, harmonized with a deep, rich, overdriven bass, it could sound great. In fact, I might get a gx 15 and do that on "Breaking into Satan's House."
It's all in how you use them.
I don't like the tone of the bridge pickup stock on my UV777BK. I'm going to order an Evolution 7 tomorrow, I think it has the tone I'm going for.
It's like the SS VS Tube argument, no one wins.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Best 7 string ever?

I think we're starting to go off-topic, so let's please try and focuse in the original purpose of it, please.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 03:40 AM

Best 7 string ever?

I am surprised that the RG7CST fans haven't piped in yet. I definitely take a CST over a UV. I'd even take my CT. The construction on these J-Custom/Prestige 7 strings is better than any UV777BK I have seen.

I know, the truth hurts.

Rick
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Best 7 string ever?

And how is it better (not trying to be cynical, just want to gather some information)? Do you feel the same about the current 2001 Prestige quality to the UV?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:27 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Best 7 string ever?

i think people see what they want to see...

in case of the J-customs/Prestige they are the same build quality as a JEM/UV. The same machines, tools and people make them! *Look at them closely and you will see that. Just because something is RARER doesn't make it better.

That said if you want a piezo and don't want a "vai-look" then UV is not for you... glen

edit typos

(Edited by jemsite at 9:35 am on June 6, 2001)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:50 AM

Best 7 string ever?

The CST and the UV are completely different instruments. *Different neck dimensions and pickups, different tone woods. *They feel completely different. *Just get both of them and call it a day. *
I personally think the CST is a beautiful instrument but I prefer my UV because of the way it feels to me, and I dig the pyramids and all that binding. *Side by side (my buddy has a CST) quality, fit and finish are neck and neck. *Both guitars are well put together. * The consistency of that quality is another question altogether that I cannot answer. *It is completely possible that I got an extremely well constructed UV and he got a crappy CST, or vice versa. *So my observations are rather limited. *If we swap guitars we both prefer our own instruments because it is what we are accustomed to. *You can't go wrong with either instrument so your choice is truly a matter of personal preference. * But if you want piezo's you gotta go CST.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:10 AM

Best 7 string ever?

Quote:
Quote: from jemsite on 9:27 am on June 6, 2001
Just because something is RARER doesn't make it better.
Glen, say it ain't so. You are threatening to upset the balance of our worlds!

Tags
bridge pickup , neck dimensions , squire strat , stevie ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode