Which is the best 7 string for you??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Question Which is the best 7 string for you???

Hi there......

I just want to buy a 7 string guitar, I have in mind the uv777pbk, but I was reading here in some posts, that the RG8527 or the uv7bk are better to play, but I would like to know the pros and cons.

So, since I want to do a good purchase, I wanted to ask you guys which is the best 7 string for you???

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:48 AM

Reviews: 4
Cool Re: Which is the best 7 string for you???

I choice would of course be the UV77MC, but thats not a good choice for price reasons. The next best thing is a UV77BK, the one with the green dots and pups. I got one for just under $800 shipped. Its a bit beat up, but it feels fantastic, and it sounds even better.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Which is the best 7 string for you???

I would say that it all comes down to personal choice.

With a good set up any of the higher end Ibanez guitars are great, you have to choose whether you want Vai-isms like the pyramids or swirl finish (I do) or if you want to look for a flame maple top RG or whatever.

In my experience the newer uv777pbk's are easier to reach the high up notes because of the AANJ, but the older square heel models tend to have a bit of a fuller sound.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 01:46 PM

So where does an RG7620 fit into this? Im not familiar with these other models. is the 7620 a cheap-o or something? i really like mine quite a bit...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

The RG7620 isn' a cheapo by any means, it's a good solid workhorse

It's not a "super flash" model by any means, but that's not the point of that model.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
The RG7620 isn' a cheapo by any means, it's a good solid workhorse

It's not a "super flash" model by any means, but that's not the point of that model.
I agree with you, i have got the 7420 very good work too and cheaper than the 7620... yeah !
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 06:33 PM

thanks for the info guys. i know its an actual Japanese Ibanez so I always thought it was pretty nice. i put evolution pickups in there a while back and it really sounds better than most of my other guitars. (too bad its a 7 string. ha ha)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for replying guys!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccomputersa View Post
I choice would of course be the UV77MC, but thats not a good choice for price reasons
Well, I´m able to spend a little more in one good guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
With a good set up any of the higher end Ibanez guitars are great, you have to choose whether you want Vai-isms like the pyramids or swirl finish (I do).........
I also want the "Vai-isms", but who knows, maybe some day I will be able to send the neck to Sims Custom Shop.......
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 AM

Reviews: 21

I've only played a heel-joint UV (someone else's) and my 7620. I'd say the 7620. The only thing I prefer on the UV is the HSH configuration.
That and UV7PWH is unbelievably awesome, looks-wise.
Good luck.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the comments...............

I keep searching for Info on the UV777 (Wish there were a UV under the JEM and Universe Guitars sub forum) and I was reading same opinion:

"Get an older UV. They play so much better .........."

Since I have in mind to buy a UV777, I am trying to find the best year (If there is), so I wanted to ask: from which year they become older or newer?

I found that from 2003, they started to came up with the Edge Pro trem, and also was reading that the Lo Pro is better, but better in which way?

And last, do you know from which year the UV777 came with the All Access Neck Joint?

Thanks in advance!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:29 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Since I have in mind to buy a UV777, I am trying to find the best year (If there is), so I wanted to ask: from which year they become older or newer?
I believe any UV from '90 - '94 is definitely "old" [hell, my UVGR is 17 lol] ... by '96, the green dot became the silver dot and by '98, it became "new" with the AANJ.
The Edge Pro7 is slightly "better" in that:
it is a REALLY low profile bridge...
No string blocks falling...
it was the next step in evolution process

i'd say it's just as solid as a Lo-Pro7... IMHO, I think the bad rep of the Edge Pro would either be from non-locking studs or the fact the 'big guys' don't have 'em in their axes.

regardless, any UV777xx is sweet, old or new school...

Reg
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for that info Reguv!!!!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:27 PM

One thing is unclear - Is floyd a must?

After owning a JCRG7-1vv, uvgr, uvmc, upwh (white universe) I've found myself covered with EBMM JPM BFR 7 stringer - piezo and quality that's just fantastic! But after the Petrucci I'd say the J-Custom was a good second. The 8527 are a bit cheaper and can be found more easily than the JCRG7-1vv IMO.

But to retutn to my first question - floyd. I've played with the thought of owning a fixed bridge, baritone scale, 1 humbucker 7-string guitar. It'd be so easy to mess around with different tunings etc.
If Your budget isn't tight and want a floyd - 8527.
If You're just wanting to test a seven "is it my cup of tea" and don't like to hassle with trems - any fixed bridge Ibanez.

Ps. Guys over here have already suggested good options (f.e 7620).
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 06:35 PM

In 7-strings, I currently own, acquiring them in this order, too:
- '91 UV7BK (beloved black with green version, awesome mojo, brand new from the box, and the first LoPro bridge I'd ever seen at the time - was expecting an Edge7)
- '00 RG7-620GN (my first AANJ, brand new)
- '00 UV777BK (awesome cosmetics, and freakishly light in weight, GENTLY used)
- '06 RG1527RB (my first EdgePro 7, very heavy, brand new from the box)
- '08 RG1527RB (my 2nd EdgePro 7... very heavy twin to the above =], GENTLY used for 1 week)
- '99 RG7-620BK (gently used, too good a deal, too great a player to pass up...)

I personally gravitate to the 'RG7' types ... the RG7-620GN basically redefined what I was looking for in an instrument - the two humbucker with special 5-way wiring... it's been my yardstick ever since.
In fact I went back to my other guitars and wired them up with super-switches to match the GN (except for the middle position; I redesigned the wiring scheme to give me a different option there... I never use 2 'buckers full on like that).

None of these will steer you wrong; it all depends on your style choice - the essential statistics of all of these are the same... and if you're like me, you'll tinker with the pickups anyway =]

Tags
uv777pbk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode