best introductory jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

best introductory jem?

Ok, I'm interested in getting a jem.

I want you all to entertain me with your own totaly subjective views on the Jem guitar here and tell me which model (sensibly priced around £600 - £800 or ($1500-$2000 ish) 2nd hand ) would be a good introductory model. I'm currently working on my studio material, with a view to touring it and I have a section in one of my songs that would suit a JEM tone quite nicely... which one would you guys tell me to get.... I know that they are all essentially the same guitar... but dammit, they all look so nice

My personal favorite is the JEM777DY. But are there any others you guys would reccomend.. purely on your own opinions?

PS. I'm fairly new to the JEM model, so you guys may have to give a brief suggestion to set me off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 05:07 PM

If your cool about buying from the US I think rich (www.ibanezrules.com)has a second hand DY in stock - and I even think theres one on UK ebay at the moment - get your dream one . The standard "budget" jem is a DBK; even though they are budget, there still amazing guitars. Id look into one of those 2

-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 05:13 PM

i find jems and most current ibanez guitars very subjective.

i can try 6 of the same guitar and only like one, i think this is coz of there (imho) poor quality control and lack of decent woods half the time.

which promps me to say get an old one, a dy (if thats what u want) is prefect, the old jems (and ibanez in general) are much more solid, to me at least and standards are far more consistant.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 05:29 PM

Probably stretching your budget by about 100% but my all time fav is the GMC, beautiful (looking) guitars.
You can't really fault the DBK though and second hand they should be quite a bargin price over here. Guess it all depends on whether you like the sound of evo's, PAF Pro's or Breeds though
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 05:32 PM

I would second what they both just said. If thats your "dream" model as such then get that. But as you know there are plenty of JEM's you can try.

As Stu said, every guitar is subjective, so try before you buy if you can.
And especially with the lack of quality control like he said, some are dogs and some are keepers!

One thing is for sure though, if you find one that you love and suits you, sounds good and is just perfect, then get it! They dont come along very often. Some people say a guitar is just a guitar, not if it has that "special something". I am yet to come accross one of these however, but it will happen eventually.

Anyways, the choice is up to you. But you cant go drastically wrong what ever one you choose in the end! Good Luck!
Gary - The.Godfather.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 06:09 PM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by disassociative1
i find jems and most current ibanez guitars very subjective.

i can try 6 of the same guitar and only like one, i think this is coz of there (imho) poor quality control and lack of decent woods half the time.
I think this is to do with setup way more than production inconsistencies.
Have the same guy set up all 6 and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Kev, as I recall you already have a JS1000 which is a basswood guitar with PAF Pro's in it already so either go for the DBK (Breeds) or for one of the alder bodied 7VWH or 7VSBL.
They also come with Evolutions so the sound will be different.

ilia
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

hmm, dunno if I could aford a 7, but the DBK sounds interesting... especially with regards to the tonal thing...

its the black one isnt it?

[meanders off to the Jemsite piccies section]
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

k, just looked at the DBK and it looks pretty cool actually!

One thing leaves me a-pondering however, I don't like the colour! black is a bit bland... but then again... the textured surface is purty...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 07:22 PM

They look alot better in the flesh. If you fancy a trip to liverpool pop into curlys music in the town centre, they have a couple in stock...

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

ah, but what are they priced at?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy
They look alot better in the flesh

Very true, they are real hard to photograph well, as they usually come off looking horrid. If you get them in a good light they look very cool, especially the mirror pickguard. I have a DBK and it plays really nice and sounds great too. The best thing for me to recommend is for you to try out the guitars you are thinking of buying first. It's the only way you can be sure of what you want.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 08:01 PM

buy a nice ,worn in 7BSB
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 09:58 PM

If the DY is your favorite, Kev, go that way. Why mess around?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev Brigden
ah, but what are they priced at?
The second hand one they have in (looks mint) is up for about £900, but you can get em alot cheaper than that in the US. Just good for seeing if you actually like em

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 04:57 AM

Quote:
I think this is to do with setup way more than production inconsistencies.
Have the same guy set up all 6 and you won't be able to tell the difference.
i dont think its to do with setup when all he guitars have been setup by barrie at machinehead.

i do setups all the time and trust me im talking about sound and board quality more than anythin else.

Tags
alder bodied , basswood guitar , ibanez guitars , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode