best PU for Satch "The Extremist" tone - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

best PU for Satch "The Extremist" tone

I love Satch tone in the Extremist (Summer Song, Motorcycle driver)
The best bridge PU?
- Norton?
- Breed ?
- Air Zone?

I try
Fred : too harsh (too much treble) , not enough output and mids
Tone Zone: too much bass, too much output
Paf Pro: definitely not
Evo: too trebly, too harsh, too sterile

I like sweet PU, a little dark (to balance bright guitar), with lots of mids, presence and personality. Solid bass but not too much.

I have a Seymour duncan custom custom which is a good PU, my favorite. But i would like to have another guitar with different tone. And i love satch's tone....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
A pickup isn't going to get you your fave artist's tone. Having said that I actually think the Fred is unsurprisingly the pickup that gets me on the road to Satch's tone the best. It also help to have some great tube amps a Japanese DS-1 and a world reknowned rock producer on the recordings.

Motorcycle driver is imo a great example of "Fred" tone. So I'd advise tweaking your amp/distortion before buying new pickups.

If the Fred is too harsh for you, I'd personally advise the Norton.which has a few more mids, and imho the output focused around that area.

It's all ice-cream and you may find other pickups would work better.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Japanese DS-1
What is this DS-1 Ibanez pedal? What makes it so great.. I've heard other talk about it... I'm curious, always on the hunt for a new cool toy.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 09:56 PM

The pedal he's referring to is a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. The older ones are made in Japan, while the newer ones are made in (I believe) Taiwan. The Japan made ones sound better.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 12:39 AM
EKG

I agree in the sense it is not all the pup. The FRED is the best (IMO) to try and achieve Satch's tone. I wouldn't rely so much on the pup as much as your whole setup. I went through the same thing early on Actually, what has really helped in my setup is a BBE sonic maximizer. Really brought my whole sound to life.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Ibanez endorsed

I can get a killer Satch tone with my JS guitars and also with my JEM7VWH believe it or not. So I would have to say that it is more than just the guitar and pickup. I would say 75% of it is the setup you use.

I use a Marshall 9200 dual 100 watt mono block amp, Digitech 2101LE, 422A BBE Sonic Maximizer, Rocktron Super C Hush, Ensoniq DP/4, to get the main Satch tone. Then depending on what I want to do wth the tone I will use the JS6 for a "light" touch, or the JS1 or JS1000 for the heavier touch. Then of course add the Bad Horsie wah, WH-1 whammy, Eventide H3000 D/SX, volume pedal and all the other stuff to really tweak it.

I like allot of "thump" in my sound though so the BBE really comes in handy. Of course if you want to "crystalize" your sound the BBE can also do that. It really is "the magic box" to use for enhancing your overall tone.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 04:00 PM

I think my 7vwh gave me a better satch tone at times than my js 1000 btb... but I can tell the difference, my btb has that more bassy nasal sound like the intro to house full of bullets. But the vwh did a great job too with that tune...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 07:27 PM

Sorry I didn't read through all these posts, but I have it on good
athority that Joe used a lot of Mesa Boogie on that CD.

But if your on the cheap and cant afford that kinda gear, I would suggest
you check out the "Sans Amp" stomp box.

And with a little more budget, you can try the Rocktron Chameleon.

The Sans Amp is a direct box/amp simulator/distortion box. I've squeezed
an amaizing amount of good tone out of my dads over the years when
I just didn't have the sound I was looking for out of my normal rig.

The Chameleon has a lot of Joe's Tone built in it, and with little tweaking
at that. It is kinda limited to that tone though...I've found it's more open,
bluesy, or agressive (but less distorted) tones lacking the life that
something as inexpensive as a Sans Amp can give you.

The mix of a Sans Amp, DS-1 (original), Chameleon, and a good tube
Power Amp and solid cabinets can cut you 90% of Joes, Steves, and many
others sounds.

Heh, the big spenders just need an Eventide and their set!

IMHO
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Ibanez endorsed

Quote:
"Heh, the big spenders just need an Eventide and their set!

IMHO
Hmmm..... I have an Eventide H3000 D/SX and it took more than that for me to get Joe and Steve's tone
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkbeatty
Quote:
"Heh, the big spenders just need an Eventide and their set!

IMHO
Hmmm..... I have an Eventide H3000 D/SX and it took more than that for me to get Joe and Steve's tone
You're not out there cutting off any fingers are you?

Can't you just see him in a lab with millions of jars of fingers all over the walls raving and laughing about how he has so many fingers and yet NONE sound quite right?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 11:44 PM
Ibanez endorsed

.............................. whoa lol
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven
Sorry I didn't read through all these posts, but I have it on good
athority that Joe used a lot of Mesa Boogie on that CD.
Yeah, i was guessing that myself... I don't own a JS guitar, but my RG-7620 through a (comparatively) cheap Mesa Rocket-44 aren't too far off from Satch's tone once you start pushing the thing a bit- i'd say a different guitar with different pickups (i.e- a JS) would get you pretty close, if you added some compression and delay and whatnot. Althogh, even as it is, the Air Norton i thrw in the neck spot and the Tone Zone in the bridge do a pretty good job of it- close enough to that tone (one of my favorite on record) that i enjoy playing it.

-Drew
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 02:56 PM
Ibanez endorsed

Basically any nice solid tube amp with a good pre amp will get you the tone. Whether you go stock Mesa, Bogner, Matchless, some of the Marshalls, or Legacy you should get it ok. Or if you go through a nice tube power amp and then use a killer preamp that will work the same.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 03:04 PM

LOL A Matchless? A Matchless won't get you anywhere NEAR a Satch tone. They're nothing at all like the Mesa/Marshall high-output tube amps. SRV's tone? Maybe. But, as much as I've loved my Matchless Cheiftain for years, you couldn't ask for a worse metal/shred amp (unless you want to process the hell out of it, which pretty much defeats the purpose of having a 35-watt Class A amp!). The DC-30 that I had prior to the Cheiftain was even less shreddy. GREAT clean amps, probably the best around. But..better for blues/jazz than anything else.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 03:41 PM
Ibanez endorsed

Sorry I should have clarified that. A Matchless with a pre amp added to it or a pedal. The Matchless give a nice big warm tube tone to add a powerful preamp/processor/pedal to.

Tags
air norton , bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , boogie dual rectifier , distortion pedal , dual rectifier , horsie wah , mesa boogie , paf pro , power amp , rocktron chameleon , satch tone , seymour duncan , seymour duncan custom , sonic maximizer , stomp box , tone zone , tube amp , tube amps , tube power amp , tube tone , volume pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode