Best Replacement for Low TRS II Trem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
ggl

Best Replacement for Low TRS II Trem?

Hi, I have a Low TRS II Trem and I would like to replace if with the best Floyd Rose Replacement that will fit without any mods.

My current trem stays in tune but if I use my whammy bar then it sticks, I think it has worn Knife Edge Piviot Points. I could probably repair it but it might be better to just replace it anyway.

I have a JS 100

What are my options please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:24 PM

Your best bet is to repair the knives on the trem and replace the posts.

If you're dead set on changing out the tremolo, get either a Schaller or and Original FR. Either of these should fit without modification.

Good luck!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 07:20 AM

.. or get the original lo trs. I haven't compared them personally, but I think i've read somewhere on this board that it's superior to the trs II's. Hmm, someone better back me up on this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 05:17 AM

I've got a lo-trs that is badly abused trough the years, and personally I
can't imagine a floyd that sucks more than that one...but I can't remember the condition in which it was when I got it, it's by long not my main axe anymore
I still haven't replaced it coz they're hard to get out here, and the whole guitar frankly needs a re-do...it's had more than enough playing time, that neck is just too easy still

But if you put a real floyd in it you'll beter off than widening the cavity and putting an Edge/lo pro in it
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 12:10 PM

original trs's suck. they have the old screw in bars, not the pop in collared arms like the lo-trs2. this makes for crappy flutters. a FRO would be the best non mod trem to fit. the schaller isn't bad, but i don't like it near as much as a FRO. well, one exception: the knife edges on a schaller rule over a FRO, they are more like those on the edge trems, but aren't "as" durable. either way, both are leaps and bounds better than the POS trs trems ibanez has.

rich
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 09:36 AM

HI, i also own a JS 100 and the tone isn`t stable!
How many does a LO-PRO EDGE or a Edge bridge cost?

THX
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
ggl

I got a price for a new trem and they are very expensive as far as musical equipment goe's.

It seems that Ibanez trems are about doulbe others as well.

It looks like my best bet is to get this one repaired and I think it should be ok as it does stay in tune ok.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 10:32 AM
Vendor

From the different prices I've seen they're right about the same price plus or minus $20.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
ggl

I've been talking to a few people lately and it sems that my trem is not that bad and I've even had comments like "Oh they are really good tremelos" & "Better than most Floyd Rose's"

Anyway, I'm going to get this one working properly and see how it handles some heavy whammy bar use...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98
original trs's suck. they have the old screw in bars, not the pop in collared arms like the lo-trs2.
No offense, but if the TRS2 is really the better choice, then it's a bit weird that Ibanez uses the TRS on the "higher end" RG470s and the TRS2 on the "lower end" RG320 ..

But ok, I've never played a TRS2, so I'll shut up now.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 03:28 PM

ive seen both bar attachments on those two trems, and besides they can be changed anyways
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 10:01 PM
eg

I posted a similar thread sometime ago and I remember somebody mentioning that he had 0 tuning problems on his TRS.

What gives? Is that trem really that BAD?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 10:24 PM

when new and properly setup the trem will function flawlessly. Since its made of cheap metal the post and knife edges wear first as well as just feeling like pooh and clunky as compared to what you get with an edge. The original floyd rose will fit with no mods to the body at all, and is better than the trs. But you wont feel an improvement in quality of trem functions. Buy a real guitar
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 05:21 PM

"original trs's suck. they have the old screw in bars, not the pop in collared arms like the lo-trs2. this makes for crappy flutters."

Apparently this is from someone who's never tried to do actual flutters on a TRS-2. No offense really, but the TRS-2 is one of the worst trems to do flutters on. Why they put this one a JS-100 is beyond me, considering Joe loves to do heavy whammy work.

Those so called "collars" are more of a drawback since they tend to get loose after three flutters. Mind you were not talking divebombs here, but real flutters, up and down motions.

I'm a JS-100 owner too, and I know for a fact that the TRS-II is a lemon. The metal is too soft, and so it doesn't really stay in tune well, those collar things are a pain in the posterior. No comparision whatsoever to a Lo Pro Edge. I have one of those in my RG-550, and that one stays in tune no matter what I throw at it, and my RG is a '92 Fujigen Factory made one, its old!

Things you can do to improve it though:

1. Have it professionally setup. Before I did this, any use on the trem would send me out of tune. now I only get out of tune if I really use the bar heavily.

2. You can use the nail polish trick. I forgot where I saw that one,but its supposedly very efficient at fixing the problem with the collar getting unscrewed easily.

3. Replace with an Original Floyd or Schaller. You know what to do.

4. Block it. Hey, sometimes no Floyd is better than a bad Floyd.

The TRS-II is real a pretty good trem, its certainly better than those cheap Floy Rose "licensed" ones you see on ebay. The only real problems I've had with them are with flutters, and I've since given up on those. After you get it professionally setup, they'll stay remarkably in tune, even after divebombs and such. You might need to adjust a couple fine tuners every so often. Make sure you stretch your strings often.

Good luck! Those JS-100s are pretty great guitars, they just don't come great out of the box, like the 1000s.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 AM

JS100 replaced low trs II w/ gotoh floyd...how to vid linked

I was having trouble finding if the gotoh would work, so I posted a youtube vid of my experience replacing the low trs II with the gotoh...works great and well worth it. you can see the vid here:

youtube.com/watch?v=AV05UunaCDQ

Tags
edge bridge , edge trem , edge trems , floyd rose , ibanez trem , low trs , pro edge , trs trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode