Best sounding amp for 7vwh - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Best sounding amp for 7vwh

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new amp - I currently use a 5150 head with a 4x12 Marshall.

My question is: What amplifier do you think sounds best with the Jem7vwh?

A few thoughts so far - it is a relatively bright sounding guitar, so I thought that it may be complemented well by a darker sounding amp.

For those of you who have tried this guitar ( or equivalent) with a few amps, what amp do you think 'fits' this guitar well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:49 AM

Re: Best sounding amp for 7vwh

Ive tried a couple. I used a Crate Blue Voodoo, a Mesa Dual (Triple Channel) and currently a Rocktron Prophesy with a 2 90 Mesa Power Amp. I've gotta say for what my band plays (a bit of everything) you cannot beat the Prophesy for tone. Youre right though the 7vwh is really bright but the Prophesy presets are sooo easy to dial in with it that you can get any tone you want. The Mesa sounds really good also except that with the Rec youre going to get a Mesa tone so it didnt leave me with enough versitality to change tone.

Peace
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:19 PM

I'd go with a JCM800.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 06:03 PM

Reviews: 1

Or a LEgacy amp
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:19 PM
rya

go for a Fender Champion 300. Its tiny and a fender but freaking SCREAMS!!!!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:29 PM

Legacy amp works awesome for me.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 12:43 AM

^+1. Just got one and it's awesome. I tried a lot of other amps, and I liked the Legacy the best.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 01:46 AM

Reviews: 1
Cool Re: Best sounding amp for 7vwh

i have a mesa F-100 and its awesome. more expecive than a legacy. and not as good distortion. but good clean sound. i have a GNX4 hooked up to i for the effects. it sounds great. but i have a BRMR so i dont know how a VWH would sound. to me they both would sound great!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 02:15 AM

carvin legacy
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 02:45 AM

Reviews: 5

guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here. Consider keeping your 5150

I play a JEM7VWH through a 5150 combo and love the lead tone. I think the key to the 5150 is in managing all that nasty high-end.

Signal path: JEM7VWH -> 5150 {FX-LOOP}->Behringer Ultragraph Pro32->BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer->Lexicon MPX200->

Here are some clips of the setup

http://www.myspace.com/chrisduerringer
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 03:19 AM

Legacy
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here. Consider keeping your 5150

I play a JEM7VWH through a 5150 combo and love the lead tone. I think the key to the 5150 is in managing all that nasty high-end.

Signal path: JEM7VWH -> 5150 {FX-LOOP}->Behringer Ultragraph Pro32->BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer->Lexicon MPX200->

Here are some clips of the setup

http://www.myspace.com/chrisduerringer
+1

the 5150 is an awesome amp!

Very nice sounds dude!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 02:32 PM

Talking Re: Best sounding amp for 7vwh

My 2 cents, Don't know if this is the "best" amp, but it is working very well for me. Carvin V3 + 2 Marshall 4x12's, bottom vintage cab loaded with Greenbacks, top is newer Marshall 4x12 re-loaded with Greenbacks so the cab's are matched, except for appearance. I am running a T.C. Electronics G-Major for effects in the parrallel loop which for some reason sounds better that the series loop. I have the BLUE channel set for rhythm, which I can take frome crunchy and edgey, to smooth and creamy by adjusting the tone and pickup selections on my Jem7vwh, the Red channel is set for more high gain, which can also be adjusted the same way for tone, it can go from the big wide open neck pickup tone, to blistering bridge pickup, to all sorts of blended tones in between, i.e. pickup selector @ the 1 and 2,2,2 and 3,3,3 and 4 positions, as well as being able to roll the volume knob back a bit and having the sound clean up, getting some really cool vintage tones in either the rhythm or lead channel's. The CLEAN channel is superb, offering tones ranging from super clean to growly, depending on the settings. I have to say that I have had this amp for about 8 months now, I ordered it and the Legacy head so had them both at the same time, I loved the tone of the Legacy, but decided to go with the V3 for it's versatility(3 channels) but would definateley consider adding the Legacy in the future. If Carvin would produce a 3 channel Legacy I would buy one. Furthermore about the V3, I also have a Jem777DY that I use through my system, it is not a bright sounding as the 7vwh, but I generally only have to make a slight adjustment to the presence or treble to bring it out in the mix so as not to get washed out when the rest of the band is playing, minor adjustment. All in all I have had great pleasure with this head, and for the price, which I think has gone up since I bought mine by $50 or so is well worth it, there are a lot of great heads out there, my friend has a couple of Bogners,etc. they all sound good, I still, and allways will believe that no matter what head a person is using, that great tone starts with the ears,brain, and fingers, if that makes any sense, and a good tube head can bring out the best of those abilities. Just one man's opinion, and everybody's got one. JCA

Last edited by jessecruzastoria; 12-25-2006 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 03:16 PM

How on earthhh can you get a valid answer to this question? lol

Not only is tone subjective, but a Jem7v or any guitar for that matter will sound decent with a fairly good amp.

Just take your Jem to as many shops as possible, try out as many amps as possible, and settle on one you like the sound of the most.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 04:34 PM

With the JEMS I have the best results with my Bogner XTC 101B or the Diezel VH4S, both sound great. The Marshalls in my opinion are to mid rangy with the bright JEM body. I havent tried a legacy but I might in the future.

RG

Tags
blue voodoo , bridge pickup , crate blue voodoo , fender champ , jsx combo , les paul , lexicon mpx , mesa boogie , mesa dual , mesa power amp , neck pickup , neck pickup tone , pickup selection , power amp , sonic maximizer , sounding guitar , tube head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode