BFP with refret and refinished neck? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

BFP with refret and refinished neck?

Hey,

Just a quick question. I might be able to get my hands on a BFP in exchange for my 9.5/10 condition JPMP2. No, don't ask who is trading me!

Anyway, as I'm relatively new to the whole refret/refinish thing, is that a big deal for jems? My P2 is almost mint except for a small doink on the back, while the BFP is a strong 8.5/10. It has been refretted with Dunlop 6100s and the fretboard was cleaned and a clearcoat sprayed onto it.

The guy who wants to trade is very trustworthy and has a great reputation in Jemsite and Ebay. He says the BFP's neck is great and the pics he sent me look promising.

Anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks for the advice. I love my JPM, but y'all know how cool BFPs are!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 02:15 PM

as long as it was a pro job there isn't anything to be concerned about, I mean, the guitar was fretted once by regular people, refretted is perfectly fine in my books.

Remember, the people that work at Ibanez are just like you and me, they aren't superhuman or anything. hehehe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 12:59 AM

But with clearcoat sprayed over the board? Is that normal on a BFP? Don't own one, but i thought they were plain rosewood... small detail?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 01:01 AM

Forgive me...I am half asleep...maple... I'm sorry...lol
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 04:52 PM
rgr

The BFP in question was mine, I'm kinda sad that Michael is selling it so soon. I bought the guitar from Alex Lo through Rich (www.ibanezrules.com) and it had no nicks or dings in the body and only a few in the headstock, but, it had been played and there was considerable wear on the fretboard. I had it professionally cleaned and refretted and before the luthier refretted it, he sprayed it with a thin coat of laquer at my request. The BFP fretboards look killer when they are clean with the blue against maple, so, the lacquer keeps it clean. The back of the neck is unfinished. If you don't want the guitar tell Michael to give me a shout, I kinda miss it sometimes.

Roger

Oh yeah, forgot to add, the original frets on BFPs are 6140s which I really don't like, so replacing them with 6100 was a good thing all around for me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:16 PM

Hi Roger. Don't worry I'm not selling (or trading) it.
I might get it swirled though!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:55 PM
rgr

That's good to know, that's a great guitar.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 01:40 PM
Vendor

A perfect professional refret to original spec is no problem and can make it worth more than one that's in dire need of a refret. A refret to non stock is a little different and hurts value some. It's still worth more than one with badly worn frets, but not as much as one in factory spec.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 05:26 PM

I have a BFP on the way to my house and supposedly the frets are in good shape.IF the fretboard was nasty,I owuld have no rexserations about sanding it clean and refretting.A couple coats of clear laquer can only help keep it clean.IT wont affect tone to any noticeable extent unless you are super attentive to sound.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 05:39 PM
rvj

I would'nt mind some lacquer on my DY's fretboard. A few months ago I cleaned it to an almost new appearance. It's starting to get that dingy look again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode