Big bends on a floyd rose - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Big bends on a floyd rose

Is it harder to hit a big bend on a floating trem? I noticed the trem almost likes to come down to meet you.

Is there a trick to it like adding a palm on the trem to push it back/anchor it?

Any thoughts?

I was just learning parrisienne walkways and its not something I have noticed before, perhapse its just an extreme song example.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 AM

Reviews: 57
Re: Big bends on a floyd rose

You mean when you bend, the trem moves as you stretch the string? If so, you'll probably want to adjust it, tighten springs and re-level it.

I usually hit the open E then bend the high E up a step or so and if the low E drops pitch, I tighten my springs until it doesn't, or just barely does.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:16 AM

Since you're adding tension on the string side, the trem will come down to meet you - as you say. Any floating bridge will do that.

The trick is to bend until you hit the right note.

If you want to do stuff like bend one note up to E and play E on a higher string at the same time, you might have to correct the the note you're not bending by bending it ever so slightly. Use your ears, as the amount of correction needed depends on which other string you bend (and how much, ie how much tension is added and how much the trem comes down = how much detuned the rest of the strings will be (individually)).
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:41 AM

Reviews: 21

It's not uncommon for the trem to come up to meet you on big bends. It depends on how tight the trem is in terms of how much it comes up but as long as it goes back in tune you're good. IMO, the amoung of give in Edge 3 was one of the things I liked about the trem. It was a tad slinkier than its more expensive cousins.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

yes also on those unison bends so I will try to add a little bend on the second finger as suggested for that.

ty Euphor for the breakdown.

Phil
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 AM

Unison! That's the word I was looking for. Small comfort, as it's the same in Norwegian.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 PM

Reviews: 2

Another issue one can have is bending a note while another open string is ringing. The open string goes lower in pitch while bending the other note. This can be averted by pulling up on the bar to keep the open string at pitch while bending the other note. You will, of course, reach the desired pitch with the bent string quicker, so it requires less of a bend. This takes practice to get right, but once you do, it's cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode