Big Jem Problem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Big Jem Problem

Hello,fellow jemsiters I need alot of help on this one. I recently bought a JEM 7VSBL in May 03 it is a 03 model. And lately like in the last month it is acting very weird like when I go on the 22nd fret on the high E and bend it, it doe this weird piercing noise.I have tried bowing the neck, moving the pickups,adjusting the bridge(and action),but nothing seems to work and it is the only string to do that.Also It is winter here. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:55 PM

I just started getting this too, on the 24th fret (so you know it's not fret buzz). After picking the note, it turns into a very high harmonic - piercing is the best way to describe it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 06:29 AM

it happens to me too when i play a natural harmonic on the G string 5th fret!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 05:50 PM

The last time I got some horrid noises from my Jem - and trust me, the noise was driving me INSANE - I accidently discovered that there was a tiny shard of metal lodged in the pickup selector switch. I turned the guitar upside down (so the pickups are facing the floor) and moved the switch back and forth and shook the guitar a fair bit. The shard fell out, the tone was back, I kicked ass.*

* note: asskicking may not have actually occured.

I suppose if that doesn't work, it might be worth taking the pickguard off and checking out the innards. Or take it to a shop. I found this dude online who runs a guitar shop and the first thing he asked was: does the guitar makes the same noise on another string when you play the same note (or via a harmonic). My answer was a resounding yes! but by then I had found the solution. Now unfortunately I don't remember his name or his website, but this might have actually been a good story, mightn't it?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 01:13 AM

Re: Big Jem Problem

Same problem here with my 2004 VWH. The 24th fret on the high e-string gives off a high pitched squeal shortly after picking the note. There seems to be some rattling occurring in the body of the guitar near the pickup area?

Resonant truss rod? Shards of metal? Anyone else have this problem and knows how to fix it?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 01:20 AM

Nice, hamand. I'll assume at least a little ass was kicked.

If this is the cause, I guess the only surefire cure is to start taking stuff apart until you find the culprit.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:16 AM

Hey anyone have a solution to this problem?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 12:35 PM

Have you checked to see if it's the springs resonating?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 01:06 AM

good idea, I might try that...but why would the springs resonate at a particular pitch, and only at a particular pitch?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:30 PM

Ok I solved the problem myself - turns out that the high E string wasn't installed properly in the Edge Pro trem. This caused the ball-end of the string to vibrate against the red-plastic end of the edge pro, causing the rattling & funny harmonics.

Still doesn't explain the loss of sustain tho
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 7th 7
Ok I solved the problem myself - turns out that the high E string wasn't installed properly in the Edge Pro trem. This caused the ball-end of the string to vibrate against the red-plastic end of the edge pro, causing the rattling & funny harmonics.

Still doesn't explain the loss of sustain tho
Hey Mate,

Try lubricating all the points where the string sits, like the nut, the saddle, etc..

Fong
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Vendor

My bet is it had nothing to do with the ball seating and was saddle tail buzz, which definately hurts sustain.

Tags
edge pro trem , fret buzz , guitar shop , pickup selector switch , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode