Blocking the trem on BSB - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Blocking the trem on BSB

I was changing my strings over the weekend of *my BSB so I blocked my Lo-pro with a small book as I usually do and everything was fine.

However, when I finished and removed the book, guess what I found.... Two micro indentations into the edge of the body where the book once rested.Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!

My Jem was dead mint until then. Anyway, it's really tiny and no paint was scratched or anything, so it doesn't really matter. But what I need you guys expertise on how do I tackle this for my BSB in the future without any futher incursions into the body?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 07:31 AM

Blocking the trem on BSB

Keep it in the case and never touch it ?? jusst kidding..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 08:17 AM

Blocking the trem on BSB

Basswood is soft, and the BSB has no finish to protect it. *I change the strings one at a time so that I don't have to block the trem. *If I need to clean the fretboard, I remove the springs in the back and take the trem out of the body. *I admit the idea of removing the trem with the strings still on it sounded kinda crazy to me at first, but it's very easy to do, and makes things a lot easier.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 08:28 AM

Blocking the trem on BSB

Your guitar is supposed to get a little dented in life no matter how much you adore it. *I use a nicely rounded hilt of a (completely)stainless steel knife. I fits perfectly in the cavity so it won't slip away and leaves no markings whatsoever. And if you didn't want your guitar to get damaged, you ought to have put a cloth in between...
BTW the BSB is supposed to look damaged...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 08:37 AM

Blocking the trem on BSB

Just use come cloth or some wool to block it.

Just make sure it's folded enough to provided a solid block.

Steve
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 12:04 PM

Blocking the trem on BSB

How long did you survive untill you did that damage! Mine didn't last a week if I remember before the first dent appeared! And it looks cooler for it!

Anyway, here's a tip: Get something like a piece of wood, thing, wrap it wit quite a bit of cloth and place under thhe trem in the cavity. I only do this if I want all the strings of to give the fretboard a good clean, otherwise it's a string by string replacement jobbie (much better, and easier to keep everything near the tuning you want).

Is your neck worn down a lot yet? I am starting to see basswood

James
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Blocking the trem on BSB

Thanks for the tips guys.

Well it's the first dent since I've had it, which is about 6 months. I normally do a string by string replacement but I had to wipe down the fret board this time.

While I'm typing this in, a thought just came to mind, I could also use a mousepad!

Anyway, like you guys said, it cooler looks with the dents.

Thanks again guys!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 08:27 PM

Blocking the trem on BSB

Quote:
7 Dying Trees on 12:04 pm on Jan. 14, 2002
Get something like a piece of wood, thing, wrap it wit quite a bit of cloth and place under thhe trem in the cavity.
...or put an eraser
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2002, 12:45 PM

Blocking the trem on BSB

Quote:
snakepit on 8:27 pm on Jan. 14, 2002
Quote:
7 Dying Trees on 12:04 pm on Jan. 14, 2002
Get something like a piece of wood, thing, wrap it wit quite a bit of cloth and place under thhe trem in the cavity.
...or put an eraser
Doh! That's a lot better an idea! I'll try that (not that the cavity has already taken a few whacks, but still...)

Tags
fret board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode