Bought the Jem77FP... - ...and I love it!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Bought the Jem77FP... - ...and I love it!!

Hey!

I'm new to this forum, so there may be *a chance that this question has already been answered a while back. I just bought a Jem77FP (used, I don't have that much money ) and all I can say is wow. It's just an absolutely beautiful guitar, plays like heaven . Anyway, my question is, why are last couple of frets slightly concave? I already have an Ibanez RG-Series guitar and the last frets are "normal" like the rest of them. I haven't played my Jem too long, so I can't say, if it's more convenient. Just a basic question.
btw, I noticed that it sounds a lot better than my RG. Didn't know that the DiMarzio pickups made such a difference .

Thanks in advance,
Fabe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 10:44 PM

Bought the Jem77FP...

Fabe,,,,Congratulations on the Floral! Great Guitar, The top 4 frets are scalloped to add a little volume to the notes, and it makes it a little easyer to bend up there.

Enjoy the Guitar and the Jemsite.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 11:26 PM

Bought the Jem77FP...

congrats on the new JEM

yep the DiMarzio pickups do indeed make a big difference...I have an RG520 that I put DiMarzio Evolutions in and it sounds so much better now
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 03:15 PM

Bought the Jem77FP...

Congrats on the Jem, these are some of the coolest guitars around. *There is a lot of info about the scalloped frets here at the forum, here is a start http://jemsiteforum.com/board/topic....um=1&topic=550
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Bought the Jem77FP...

Thanks for the info. And also for the warm welcome . Now I only have to see if the scalloping really works for me .
Fabe
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 05:52 PM

Bought the Jem77FP...

congrats on the floral. *i used to have a couple. *the dimarzios are better of course and warmer than the RG ones. *for really great metal, try a 7dbk or a DNA if you can find one...they have the dimarzio breed pickups in them. *total metal tone. *the breeds are a lot tighter. *

scalloped frets do nothing when that high up on the board, other than looking cooler. *if it was a scalloped board on every fret, there would be a difference, and actually, they are harder to play. *try an yngwie fender strat.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 07:15 PM

Bought the Jem77FP...

Scalloped frets are pretty cool LOOKING. *I don't know how they feel though. *I have a guitar encyclopedia and it talks about the jem and the scalloped frets and how they're for "lightning fast playing by the most accomplished players" I believe. *So even if people say you're not good, tell them you've got scalloped frets and they'll go running.......actually don't try that, I don't want to be responsible for what happens to you. :biggrin:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 08:38 PM

Bought the Jem77FP...

BFP is probably the one JEM I want most. :glare:

Nice choice though, hope you enjoy it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 09:31 PM

Bought the Jem77FP...

Congrats on the FP, one of my all time favorites! Unfortunately I don't have one because I get lost on the vine!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 10:13 AM

Bought the Jem77FP...

Congrats on the FP! *It's one of my favorites. *The scalloped frets are a more traditional jem design and they ARE functional. *DEpending on the size and the angle of you fingers as you come into that area of the neck, they really help you dig in and get around better, I feel. *I must agree that they definitely look cool, too. *Are your pickups direct monted or pickguard mounted? *Just curious. *Best Wishes!

Mike 777 Haug
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Bought the Jem77FP...

They're pickguard mounted. I recall reading something about that. I guess that was Steve's preference, wasn't it?

Fabe
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 10:52 AM

Bought the Jem77FP...

I'm confused or ignorant. My pups on my 77FP (2000), are direct mounted. Were the specs changed on later models?

Guy
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 11:15 AM
rvj

Bought the Jem77FP...

The floral patterns are rear routed, therefore they have the direct mount pups. All the multi-colors are rear routed as well.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 11:42 AM
Ibanez endorsed

Bought the Jem77FP...

Vai had the frets scalloped for a reason up there. Once you get that high on the fret board your notes lose sustain when bent. With the scallop there, the notes sustain longer because you are not "grabbing the wood" of the neck as much.

To me (IMHO) those are really the only frets that need to be scalloped. Unless you are into sitars, when you have every fret scalloped you have to look out that you dont press down too hard. If you do, you will have to start worrying about being an 1/8 of a step out of key when playing chords and that can be a problem for people who really play hard.

It all comes down to "fine tuning". Do scalloped frets allow you to sustain notes for days on end? No but it will allow you to sustain the notes on those frets just a "little" longer than an unscalloped board. Its sort of like Eric Johnson's recomendation on the "better 9 volt batteries" to use in effects pedals that provide a more constant power source and less noise vrs other batteries. Will they provide a complete "new sound to your tone"? No but it might change it a"little bit". I spend allot of time on my tone but not as much as Eric Johnson so I am still not too sure about that one!!! Of course I am not going to seperate my floor from the ceiling in my recording studio like Eric did either to produce a more "natural recording amience" so to each his own.

Anyhow its just one more thing to add to the overall sound of the instrument. Definitely not as monumental as Evolution pickups vrs stock Ibanez pickups but for Vai it was a "must have".

Peace love and good happiness stuff,

Rikk
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 12:46 PM
Vendor

Bought the Jem77FP...

The early Florals had guard mounted pups.

Tags
beautiful guitar , dimarzio breed , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , eric johnson , evolution pickups , fender strat , fret board , frets scalloped , ibanez pickups , playing guitar , scalloped frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode