Ibanez JEM Forum banner

bought a new RG550 to replace the used one I bought

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Dutchie 
#1 · (Edited)
that had a smell, well, this one seems to have a similar smell, but not as strong as the used one. I have 45 days to return to GC, so I'm going to leave it in my living room to air out for one week and then start playing it lightly.

I don't understand why these guitars have this odor. It has to be something they use on it. I owned different guitars over the years, not maple, and never experienced anything like this. This is my first made in japan guitar.

Maybe it is just whatever sealants or chemicals, glues, adhesive they used, hence why they put the "cancer 65 California warning" tag because there is obviously something they use that doesn't meet that California criteria. Formaldehyde? certain lacquers or finishes that off-gas? Obviously is something that is not 100% non-toxic.

I have a $100 Dean Vendetta, cheap ass guitar that I bought many years ago and not once it had an odor even when it was new. Walnut fretboard and maple neck. Even if it had an odor, I never detected it or bothered me. How long till this "new guitar" smell goes away.

So, it can't be the maple, but rather whatever stuff they put on the guitar, who knows what it could be, the fretboard, the neck, the body? They put something on it and it releases an odor.

Maybe I have a very sensitive nose and can detect odors that others can't.

Many weeks ago I emailed Ibanez asking about it and not once they responded. Why even put your email for contact if you don't respond.

The finish is polyurethane, if you google polyurethane, but aren't most guitar poly finish? They put something on the fretboard, a finish, clearcoat, lacquer, whatever and that may be what smells.

"Respiratory Issues First, polyurethane is a petrochemical resin that contains known respiratory toxins called isocyanates. When left uncured, polyurethane can cause asthma and other breathing problems. Those who spend time in rooms that have uncured polyurethane floor treatments may also experience health issues like throat and eye irritation, nausea, vomiting, headaches, coughing, and shortness of breath. You should also keep in mind that children who are exposed to polyurethane fumes may be more prone to developing these issues because of their sensitive immune systems. Those with existing respiratory issues are also disproportionately affected."

See less See more
#2 ·
The issue will not be the polyurethane, as it will most definitely be cured. I can't imagine that the glue would be a problem either. The California warning stickers are on everything these days, and again do not give you anything to really be concerned about.

I seriously can't believe that there could be an odour from a guitar that would be that bad, bar one that's been in a heavy smokers house (had that issue, and was more the case than the guitar), or cat pee on the guitar/case or similar.

The only thing I could think of is something similar to the "new car smell". If you're finding yourself overwhelmed by such a smell, and it doesn't start to go away after leaving the guitar out for a good few weeks or so, then maybe you might need to clean the neck and body with an isopropyl alcohol based cleaner like Isocol. That'll clean up many things, and hopefully whatever is leaving the odour, if there is something that's leaving an odour on the guitar.

#3 · (Edited)
The issue will not be the polyurethane, as it will most definitely be cured. I can't imagine that the glue would be a problem either. The California warning stickers are on everything these days, and again do not give you anything to really be concerned about.

I seriously can't believe that there could be an odour from a guitar that would be that bad, bar one that's been in a heavy smokers house (had that issue, and was more the case than the guitar), or cat pee on the guitar/case or similar.

The only thing I could think of is something similar to the "new car smell". If you're finding yourself overwhelmed by such a smell, and it doesn't start to go away after leaving the guitar out for a good few weeks or so, then maybe you might need to clean the neck and body with an isopropyl alcohol based cleaner like Isocol. That'll clean up many things, and hopefully whatever is leaving the odour, if there is something that's leaving an odour on the guitar.
I have read that polyurethane can appear cured, but can take weeks to be actually cured. Just because the finish appears solid, doesn't mean is not off gassing

Make sense as when they finish the guitar, they automatically put it in a box, so is stuck in there not for long, not allowed to off gass, either way, I will probably return the new one and keep the used one, since both have the same smell. Ridiculous how bought the same guitar twice lol

I bought the new one cause I needed to know if the odor was from the used one or all of them are like that, well I got confirmation all of them

the used guitar doesn't smell as much anymore, very faintly, cause I had it out gassing longer I guess, maybe one or 2 months will do the trick for the used one, but I'm not putting in my room yet

not gonna keep the new one that i paid $1000 when it has the same strong smell as the used one had for $680

the used had a smell like the new one because the previous owner kept it in a case for one year, never allowed to off gas

I can't return the used one I bought from ebay, so if the odor doesn't completely go away after another month, I'll just sell it and count my losses

I paid $680, looks new and only has a small chip on the back of guitar, I figure I could probably sell it for $600-650 dont mind waiting, maybe during that waiting time the smell goes away or not

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.