Brand New Jem 77FP Stress Crack in neck joint - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
imho the collectability with or without the surface crack is no different. you're probably in a climate that minimizes the occurance of the neck surface crack and/or you have just been extremely lucky ...glen
I won't keep arguing, but I'll tell you the 'story' of my UV.

It was made in Japan and painted in the US (I think). Somehow it went to Venezuela (tropical climate) from where I brought it to Chile. I recently went to the States and came back with the guitar. The only protection in all these trips was the UV1000 case. Baggage people are animals everywhere.

I guess I have been extremely lucky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Vendor

UV's have much more mass in the plate area, 2 different animals, no matter what animals are handling them. That said, mine has a short crack
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
My point is, I wouldn't pay full price for a guitar with a crack. .
I agree.
(Seems i am another lucky guy 'cause none of my jems have this crack)
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Wow - seems like I've opened a real can of worms with this question - I suppose ultimately the point is that I've paid over 1500.00 for this guitar and it is imperfect. To spend such a large amount of money and to see such a crack is really quite dissappointing. A company as large as Ibanez should ensure, if this problem in the old style heel joint reccurs, that it solves it - it must be a production issue. Why didn't they change the neck joint to the AANJ? There seems to be 2 arguments - one that I accept it as normal and the other that (especially with the astronomical prices in the UK) I should demand the quality I've paid for. I'm really not sure what to do for the best. I am pretty dissappointed if this kind of crack is the norm...
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 09:45 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
if the crack disappoints you, then discuss it with the ibanez dealer whom you purchased from.

i've said repeatedly (this has been discussed MANY times if you search) it's 100% normal - has been for 15+ years... and not something that should logically "disappoint" anyone.

seems like an emotional issue some get hung up on, but an issue nonetheless to some ... glen
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

The crack is only a lacquer crack and it's virtually un-noticeable. My main concern was that it would develop over time and affect the playability and resale value of the guitar. This won't be the case it seems. Let's let this one lie and I'll just enjoy the guitar taking this minor imperfection for what it is - a minor imperfection!
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Vendor

My first 4 showed up yesterday, no NJFC's :whew:
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 01:37 PM

Just my opinion, but send your message to Ibanez with your wallet. Send the guitar back. A clear coat crack is a finish blemish and unacceptable on a brand new guitar. If the design flaw allows this possibility during the warranty period, then Ibanez should make due. Otherwise, buy another quitar from a maker who has an appreciation for quality that equals a standard you as the buyer prefer.

Glen's point is well made in that the flaw may not effect playbility, but when do we start accepting cosmetic design flaws in cars or other consumer goods. Sorry but that blem makes it 'b stock' if I'm buying it.

I personally would work a discount from the original dealer on the blem rather than wait six months for a replacement. The point being, don't ignore it use it to your advantage as a consumer and get some money back or a strore credit or something.

Good Luck either way,

John
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 01:39 PM
Vendor

[maybe you should all visit the JPM forum and hear them all rant about the EBMM finish crack problems]
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 02:15 PM

Quote:
[maybe you should all visit the JPM forum and hear them all rant about the EBMM finish crack problems]
I'm not trying to pick a fight, but has Ernie Ball known about the design flaw since 1988.

Actually, my intent is for my advice to apply to all guitar manufacturer's not just Ibanez. I would not accept an EBMM out of the box or during the warranty period with finish flaws as the result of design problems unless the seller had cut me a break on the price or offered other perks around the flaws.

Again, it's a design flaw that doesn't effect playability to Glen's point, but I don't think that should prevent consumer's from negotiating benefits around these problems.

JC
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Vendor

Considering everything is already sold at deep discount, why are you suggesting further beating up the dealer that's already given you his best price?! It sure as hell aint his fault!
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

This is such a fantastic medium - I am typing in a question from the other side of the world and getting so many different points of view - all valid in their own way. I didn't mean it to sound that I was obsessed with this tiny crack if that's how it came across I'm sorry - I also wasn't over labouring the point or anything - don't get me wrong! I do think that some of the posts have a very valid point in saying that if something is brand new you shouldn't just accept it if it isn't 100%. By the way the price I paid wasn't a discounted one by any stretch - for what are essentially production line guitars the price I paid was astronomical! I have paid less for hand built basses in the UK (Status) where the quality is consistently nothing less than perfect. I appreciate everyone's comments truly and take them all on board. IMHO I think I am well within my rights to send it back and if the replacement does the same thing, then it will be time to look for an alternative...why on Earth didn't they eliminate this problem earlier? If I expected my customers to accept flaws, however slight - I would be out of business within a matter of months!
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Vendor

Ever consider the fact that after 15 years it may be unsolvable? They increased the angle of the pocket and it appears to have some effect, but still prone to occasional cracking of the finish. EBMM started cutting a "channel" at the base of the pocket, again, some affect but still prone.
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I should have bought the guitar from you Rich! Out of interest (forgive me if the answer is elsewhere on the site - I'm a newcomer) why didn't Ibanez go with the AANJ on the Floral?
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 03:03 PM

This is very true Rich,and lets face it,there are only so many way of attaching,designing a neck joint ... I guess they see it along the line of "well it's not falling apart" ?

I dunno,still think there must be a solution but god knows what,and you can be assured it would increase the production costs

Rob

Tags
access neck joint , clear coat , ernie ball , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , jackson soloist , malmsteen strat , neck joint , paul reed , paul reed smith , production model , reed smith , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode