Brand New Jem 77FP Stress Crack in neck joint - Page 4 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Vendor

You're both wrong.

Ibanez has a full and complete product range. Anything you could want [short of a custom order, i.e. a JC vined Jem w/ abolone purfling on a lacewood body] is already part of the product line. The stumbling block is when the "US panel of marketing experts" get together each year to decide what they believe us Americans want to buy. The product is available somewhere in the world, just not always here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:22 PM

You are right. I thought of a couple of those sweet J Customs you've had recently as pretty good examples. It is interesting though how much energy there is around PRS right now as being at the peak/pinnacle of their operation. I hope they keep it up for another decade because in the end competition is a good thing. As I said before I love them both. I especially would live Ibanez if you personally set them all up though
post #48 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:26 PM
Vendor

I can't knock PRS, I hope you didn't see it that way. You've got some sweet ones and you know I mean that [now if you'd just get rid of the dogs you'd be set]
post #49 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 03:47 AM

Don't mean to intrude,but just wanted to say that every single Jackson/Charvel i have ever owned developed a stress crack at some point around the neck joint,Strangley tho,more so on the 22 fret bolt ons

Someone made the point about US paying more in the UK,I guess in a lot of case's thats true,But i've picked up some bargains just but pointing out defects on guitars,a small list for example ...

1.My very own LP standard (slight finger nail mark in back of neck,slight maple breakage around tailpiece posts.£300 off)

2.My Old Jackson Soloist (dink right neck to jacksocket plate,slight discolouration of upper horn,ex employee discount.nearly£500 off)

3.Most things i buy from Machinehead (Jeff will nearly always throw stuff in or give me discount,not that we are particulary good freinds,but he knows i don't go anywhere else for my stuff)

Back to the debate guys,I do follow about PRS being able to "listen" to the market more as opposed to Ibanez,But it all comes down to company policies and i dare say the USA/JP differance shows wildly

Swings and round-a-bouts my freinds,I guess in the end it comes down to 3 types of people

1.Will pay top dollar but is afraid to querie marks and minor defects
2.Those that notice them and want something done before parting with cash
3.(this is me all over) those who see the flaws or defects and are willing to live with them safe in the knowledge your getting a brand new guitar once you've got a *great* deal of cash off

I can live with all sorts of things,Hell with 2 boys running round i know my guitars are never gonna stay mint,I really don't buy them as investments etc... just to play,they are tools,tools i love...But tools none-the-less

Rob
post #50 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 05:27 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I can respect that, but in a "limited's" situation there isn't a whole lot of correcting that can be done.
I was having a busy day and didn't complete this thought

No doubt that if you bought that FP in the US from a HoshUSA territory dealer, Hosh would order and replace the body. Your guitar will usually sit there for 6 months while the new body comes in, but they will replace that body. They are among the cream of the crop for Customer Service of any distributor in the world. The rest of the world doesn't work that way and there are some countries where there's no such thing as a warranty much less service. Several distributors [like Chesbro] consider "touching up" the crack the extent of their responsibility during the warranty period. It's a big world, and there are no uniform rules governing it
post #51 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 12:30 PM

The only neck joint cracks I've had was on an RG 320 I had.
post #52 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 01:20 PM

No cracks here.

'03 RG1550BK w/3120 neck swap (JP to Chesbro, Chesbro to AMS, AMS to NE - USPS, NE to MD - FEDEX ground)

'02 JEM7VSBL (JP to Hoshino, Hoshino to MF, MF to MD - USPS)

'93 RG550EG (JP to ?, ? to ?, ? to ebay, ebay to OH, OH to MD - UPS ground) I'm only guessing on this one after it left the original retailer. The person who sent it to me, won it on ebay. The original retailer could have been in Europe of Asia because I've never seen this color offered here in the US. (emerald green w/ matching headstock)

All AANJ models.
post #53 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 01:24 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamJem7
No cracks here.
All AANJ models.
ok, and why is noone surprised at this relevation

the FP does not have the AANJ (in case anyone was still wondering) ...glen
post #54 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 01:40 PM

Just posting my experience with the AANJ models. No problems here with this current lot or the '02 RG3120 and RG570 I sold earlier this year.

IMHO, I believe the '03 FP has the original neck joint because of $$$, not tradition. Currently, all rear routed Jems have had the original neck joint. It would have cost Mother Ibanez $$$ to set up new jigs and templates for a limited edition run. I'd be willing to bet that if the 777 is ever re-issued, we'll see them with the AANJ.
post #55 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 01:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
switching to non-AANJ would have cost little to nothing at all. They kept it "original" to keep it "original" as it's been made since '88... glen
post #56 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Vendor

AANJ would have cost them less, no plate. All they'd have to do is using the routing program from the DNA [there are no templates, it's all CNC]
post #57 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Very interesting and informative reading everyone's posts. To maybe draw a close to this thread I've spoken to the dealer who reassures me that the crack is nothing to be concerned about. I'm just going to get on and enjoy the guitar - I've got another Ibanez (JPM4) which has the AANJ and a Fender Malmsteen Strat which has the traditional bolt on neck - there is more mass there around the neck and the paint is very thick on the Fender, probably the reason why no cracks there. Anyway, out of the 3 guitars the new Floral is an absolute dream - fantastic looking and sounding guitar - I've wanted one since they first came out and I intend on enjoying every second of it!
post #58 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 06:00 PM

I am one (of the happy few ) with a stress crack on an AANJ Does this mean that my 8 year old severely abused RG470 is more collectible now? That said, only one of my nine Ibanezes has a stress crack (only two of them have the original bolt-on neck joint, that might have helped...)

I am not going to blend in any other discussions going in this thread
All I know from PRS is that a guy I know has a custom 24 (with Artist package) that I would kill for, I don't know how they respond to any market changes. I haven't ever seen a PRS with a floyd-rose bridge, talk about market abuse
post #59 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 11:38 PM

There is a solution . . . use a softer clear that would contract/expand with the soft wood.

Of course this clear would look matte after not long where you touch the guitar, and would be more easily nicked and scratched, but if all you're worried about is the neck joint crack, well it shouldn't happen with a softer finish. :P

This is sarcasm, by the way, if you didn't catch that. :-)

Mic
post #60 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 04:35 AM

Sarcasm hammered home with a double post

Rob

Tags
access neck joint , clear coat , ernie ball , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , jackson soloist , malmsteen strat , neck joint , paul reed , paul reed smith , production model , reed smith , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode