Brand New Jem 77FP Stress Crack in neck joint - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Brand New Jem 77FP Stress Crack in neck joint

Hello there, this is my first post so apologies if I've posted it to the wrong section!

I took delivery of a new 2003 Jem 77FP today and, following many hours reviewing the Jemsite, was somewhat dismayed to see a crack in the neck joint. I was given to understand that this should be something to expect on an older Jem, but certainly not a brand new one - especially for the price. Whilst I know that that particular area on any bolt on guitar or bass is subject to stress I don't expect to see it on a new guitar that has gone through numerous checks. Any advice/ comments gratefully recieved. Thanks for a great source of information by the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 07:31 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
commentary about this will vary but IMHO it's very normal and to be expected. it has *nothing* to do with price, and everything to do with the heel design and stress point of the hard/thick/brittle finish. Could have happened being shipped to your dealer, or it could have happened in several months/years. If in doubt, discuss the warranty policy w/ ibanez... glen
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Brand New Jem 77FP crack in neck joint

Thanks Glen, from an expert that's quite reassuring to know. With that minor qualm it is a fantastic guitar and so far the new trem on the '03 model seems to work very well indeed.
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 08:08 PM
Vendor

The design hasn't changed, there's no reason to expect them not to crack, and most of them will crack in shipping the way they're just shoved case in box with no padding. I fully expect to have a few crack while shipping to me.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 08:41 PM

Maybe I'm lucky. None of my Ibanez guitars, Jems, Universe or otherwise have ever cracked anywhere.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 04:29 AM

Gee thanks sanchez.......we were trying to help him realize it was normal and you had to do that? How mean..........mine are all cracked right now......... In fact, you aren't cool if they aren't cracked!
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 08:27 AM

it is normal on the JEMs without the all access neck joint isn't it. And the FP never got the redesigned neck joint that the 7V got did it?
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 12:23 PM

Stress cracks at the neck joint will happen with the AANJ models as well. Just not as often
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone who commented to put my mind at rest about the Jem. I can get on with playing it now withou worrying!
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 06:31 PM

IMHO that's not acceptable on a brand new guitar, I don't anything know consumer laws in the US, but if mine came cracked, I'd want it replaced. Neck joint cracks, normal or not, are damaged goods.

If you think neck cracks are harmless, go se 'All About Evo' in vai.com.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 06:36 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
IMHO that's not acceptable on a brand new guitar, I don't anything know consumer laws in the US, but if mine came cracked, I'd want it replaced. Neck joint cracks, normal or not, are damaged goods.

If you think neck cracks are harmless, go se 'All About Evo' in vai.com.
Here is the point you're missing.... it's NOT damaged goods.

Sure you can get a replacement without the minor crack. Wait weeks or months for another to arrive. Then, later on.... 6 weeks to perhaps 6 days beyond the warranty, the minor crack will surface again. Perhaps from your guitar sitting in it's case under your bed, or perhaps just at a random time.

All that huffing and puffing about "that's not acceptable on a brand new guitar" is a moot issue. It's a paint crack, not a wood crack. Finally you're not touring the world for a decade like Steve did w/ Evo as he beat that axe to death. Apples vs Oranges... glen
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 06:55 PM

I disagree.

I'm not saying ALL guitars with cracks will get like EVO (I exaggerated ), but on the other side, you can't be sure it's only paint.

My point is, I wouldn't pay full price for a guitar with a crack. At least, as you say, is a finish defect . Would you pay full for a guitar with nicks? (which do not affect anything other than looks).
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 06:59 PM
site founder 0% owner

bad analogy...

a nick/ding is from mishandling.

the surface crack is normal wear and tear. could happen putting the guitar in a case. again, if you get a new one w/o the surface crack i'd wager heavily the crack will appear during the guitar's lifetime - even if the guitar was never played/handled... glen
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 07:26 PM

Ok. Point taken.

My view is, a guitar with a crack is worth (to me) less than one without it. If I'm buying new, I want the best I can get.

I'm one of many who can says 'none of my guitars have cracks'...even my 13 year old UV. Why should someone else have to 'accept the fact' that it WILL crack? Let me tell you, I'm no collector, my axes get used and almost abused.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 07:32 PM
site founder 0% owner

imho the collectability with or without the surface crack is no different. you're probably in a climate that minimizes the occurance of the neck surface crack and/or you have just been extremely lucky ...glen

Tags
access neck joint , clear coat , ernie ball , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , jackson soloist , malmsteen strat , neck joint , paul reed , paul reed smith , production model , reed smith , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode