brand new UV777BK woes: fine tuners = goes out of tune - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

brand new UV777BK woes: fine tuners = goes out of tune

Just got my UV777BK today. Man it is nice. The pickguard gets full of fingerprints awfully fast. I can see myself changing it out for one that doesn't get so easily dirty in the future.

My main problem is whenever I have it close to being in tuen and lock the nut, whenever I try to tweak the tuning using the fine tuners at the bridge all the strings go out! This is such a pain in the ass and really shouldn't happen. Am I doing something wrong? This ibanez isn't like all the rest of the floyds I have, which are the standard floyd rose design. Sorry if this is a noobish post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 11:56 PM

Re: brand new UV777BK woes: fine tuners = goes out of tune

make sure you stretch the strings. i prefer to stretch the strings all up and down the fretboard (with the locks off). Then i like to tune the guitar less than a half step higher than i intend it to be tuned. i let it sit over night. Next morning, i recheck the tuning which by then it drops back down to normal after the strings stretch more. then i center the fine tuners, tune the guitar, and lock it. then i tune with fine tuners. works every time. also, locking studs help. look 'em up.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 01:24 AM

Also make sure the trem is level with the body. Go to Ibanezrules.com and check out the tech section too !
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:15 AM

Plus, it's brand new. There will be a break in period for the strings, the springs, and the owner LOL!.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Hah, touche. I spent about 10 minutes just destroying the trem. Well not literally, but I just did some herman li stuff like picking the guitar up by the bar and pulling and pushing hard on it. It seems better now. Can anybody show me a side shot of the exact ideal height on an edge pro 7? I'm guessing it should be somewhere kind of so the fine tuners are on the same level as the body surface?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 04:29 PM

Ideal is what's the best hieght for you. You just need to make sure the trem is level when you take your measurement because if it's tilted forward or backward it can throw that off. It'll also be hard to keep in tune if it's not level. Go to Ibanezrules.com and check out the tech section, Rich know's his stuff.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 04:37 PM

take it to a reputable tech for a nice setup. it'll be worth it. with all due respect, if your not sure what the right height or angle is, you probably shouldnt be doing it yourself.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

That's what I meant, not height but the inclination. Maybe I am over-analyzing and assuming the edge pro is different from the floyds I've used for years. << noob

I've taken care of my own floyds on standard floyd guitars for years. No worries.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepsis311 View Post
take it to a reputable tech for a nice setup. it'll be worth it. with all due respect, if your not sure what the right height or angle is, you probably shouldnt be doing it yourself.
+1

Regards

André

Tags
floyd rose , locking stud , locking studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode