Bridge Blocking - sacreligious or necessary? - Has anyone do - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Bridge Blocking - sacreligious or necessary? - Has anyone do

Every now and then I like to drop D or drop a half a step down to play some different material. *Unfortunately with the Floyd on my 7DBK I cant do this for sake of messing up my intonation and setup.

Has anyone blocked their bridge in the back with a block or anything? *I know many of you probably find it "sacreligious" *to do this to a Jem, but I just want to hear some success and horror stories with tuning down on Jems. *I have to be able to drop D for half of the stuff I play *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 04:45 PM

Bridge Blocking - sacreligious or necessary?

Honestly, that's my one bitch with Ibanez guitars: they don't make enough stoptails.

I think it'd be way cooler if they offered all their guitars with or without double-locking trems. I mean, for the money that they ask for some of the higher end models, it's not asking a lot.

The best way to block off a trem (not the easiest mind you) is to get the bridge positioned properly then fit wood blocks in front of it and behind it to stop it from moving. I've done this quite a few times with small blocks of maple. Once fitted I remove the trem and glue/screw the blocks in place. Make sure to drill pilot holes because maple in that small of a block will split if you just drive a screw through it.

It's fairly time intensive, but it can be removed and honestly, adds a lot of tone imo.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 06:03 PM

I know this is sacrilage, but if I want to check somthing out in Drop D or any weird alternate tuning I pick up Ol' Betsie (an old [email protected]) and fiddle around in the new tuning until the urge goes away

If I need to record it I might reset My D, but that situation hasnt arisen yet.

Steve
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:24 PM

man if you wanna do it - do it !

do you use the trem much ? if you do (and i guees you don't) i would get another guitar

don't worry about what anyone else thinks - you are the person who has to play the thing !
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Oh I am gonna block it, no question. *Its pretty necessary to me. *I use the trem a little, but mainly to drop the pitch. *Im planning on just blocking the trem so it wont drop when I tune down.

I mainly just wanted to see some methods of doing this and some horror stories about mistakes when doing it and stuff. *Thats my only limitation with my DBK right now it seems....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 11:55 PM

just chock it with some wood !

ther is a page in the technical section here

have a happy drop d-ing !
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanx for posting that link, now I have a whole new idea. *I have 2 main guitars, and I actually use mostly drop D when I write songs. *I think im just gonna get this guitar setup for Drop D tuning and leave the thing alone * * *

I originally planned on blocking it just so it wont bend sharp, but after reading what problems that causes, I think i wont go that route. *I still want my trem!

Thanx for the help everyone
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 11:19 PM

Good choice. *I had my Jem tuned to drop D for a while (it grew old real quick)... took the time, did the setup, and it worked great. *As for me, I wang too much to block it, besides I can't see the logic in blocking (arguably) the best trem system available.

I'd probably do like Devo and grab a cheapo strat or
Korean RG to bang out on all the non-standard tunings
before shoving lumber into a decent axe.

Good luck with it, either way-

SS
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 02:35 AM

The previous two posts made the most sense.

I have a Strat with 5 springs in the back that's used for anything other than standard tuning...and for everything else, there's the Ibanez's.

It depends on my mood (although, admittedly, I haven't used the strat in uite some time). *Since I got the UV, I'm able to make the stuff work to drop D with just fretting the low B sting on the 3rd fret. *Unless there are open chords, it works just as well.

Good luck to ya!
~Kenny
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 01:45 PM

I realise that you seem to have reached a conclusion on this matter. However have you been to the "Guitars" section on Jemsite and then to the "Other Goodies" section. There is a trem blocking device shown there that used to be shipped with anniversary Jems as well as some VWHs. It believe it allows you to drop notes only but it means that you don't have to fill the cavity with blocks of wood.
A lot of regulars will think that blocking off an Edge system is sacreligious so there might be someone out there who could supply you with one. Then again if it makes an anniversary model 'incomplete' then there may be some purists who wouldn't let you have one at any price!! That's another debate though

Matt
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

I actually read a little about that on this site a while back. *I wonder if that would have the same hinderance as the block would though? *Jemsite was saying how the wooden block (that stops the bridge from falling back) makes the trem sound klunky and almost unusable.

If that Ibanez part allows for the trem to be used for flattening notes and doesnt have all those crap probs with it, ill take that! *Does anyone own that part that has had success with it?

Tags
alternate tuning , bridge position , ibanez guitars , locking trems , trem block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode