Bridge Pickup - Crooked - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Bridge Pickup - Crooked

On my JS100 I just recently adjusted the neck because it was crooked. Anyway thats fixed and the strings rest perfeclty over the neck pickup, Now my next problem is my Bridge pickup is crooked! My high strings G,B and E are pretty close to where they should be, but my Low E,A, and D are way off Especially my Low E!!! When I say way off I mean the strings are not resting over the individual pole pieces on my pickups!!! Is there anyway I can fix this???? Or should I be sending it back to Ibanez???? Thx!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 10:44 PM
Vendor

Bridge Pickup

It makes no diference how the strings line up over the poles, their magnetic field is quite large. There's always a little side to side play when p/u's are suspended by springs and screws from a bezel. What does matter is that the strings are centered on the neck. Center the D and G on the dot inlays.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 07:50 PM

Bridge Pickup

From what you say I get the impression you mean your D, A, E are higher than the others.

All you need for a fix is a lowering of the left ( as you look at it from behind ) side of the bridge.

Or a raising of the pickup.

As a rule on my JS1000 I fret the high E at the 22nd fret and adjust the bridge pickup until it is approx 2mm from the string and I also do this on the low E of the bridge and also the high E on the neck pickup.
Then I fret the low E at the 22nd and adjust the neck pickup so it is approx 5-6mm beneath it ( too close on the bass side and it tends to boom too much )
Obviously your neck pup will be at an angle, but that seems to give me the best clarity.

Also I have the left side of the bridge sitting slightly higher than the right, whether this makes a difference I don't know, but as regards to feel I prefer more distance between the string and fret on the lower strings.

P.S. When I say the pickup being 2mm from the string, I mean the pup's pole piece.

gl

Steve

Tags
bridge pickup , dot inlay , dot inlays , high strings , lower strings , neck pickup , neck pup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode