Brigde Settings - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Brigde Settings

Just picked up my Jem and im trying to make an attempt to tune it since i haven't owned a Floyd Rose. I was wondering how high the bridge is supposed to be above the body? I would greatly appriciate your help. If you do measure it, let me know from what part of the bridge you measured. Thanx.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 07:17 PM
nvn

Hmm, there's a good site somewhere that has quite detailed info on how to set up your guitar, what was the name of it again...ah...hmm...could it be...Jemsite? http://jemsite.com/tech/index.htm should cover it...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 12:32 AM

:-)

Hey "Shredded Blues"? I noticed you are posting the same thread everywhere...another even in the Jem section...try to keep to one man. As for another idea on your Jem problems, look at where the bolts that raise and lowere the bridge go into the body. I had a similar problem with one of my Universes and it turned out to be the wood had split in front of the treble-side post. I glued it up and haven't had a single problem since. But the symptoms you describe both in this thread and the "Jem Curse" thread you have are the same as mine were. See if there's a crack, and see if it's a repair issue. If you "just picked it up" it's defective and you should get another. Simple as that...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

I'm sorry for repeating myself. I think im going to get an Yngwie Malmsteen Strat instead of dealing with this floading bridge. Is this insane or what?

-Mike
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 02:03 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreded Blues 2112
Is this insane or what?

-Mike
It5's only tough if you don't know what you're doing, or care to learn. If you're extremely impatient maybe a YJM will serve your purposes better. If you have patience, go here.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 12:13 AM

:-)

All I have gathered from this is that he's really bored and likes to complain. Look...if you tried the setup tips on Jemsite (WHICH DO WORK IF YOU DO THEM CORRECTLY) and you can't keep it happening after a professional set it up for you, AND you refuse to learn and deal with the facts of life with a floating system, then go have your Manglesteen strat. Don't post 5 different threads making the same complaint, then watch the members try to offer advice and TELL YOU WHERE TO FIND THE TIPS TO HELP, and sit there and still complain. If you don't like it, don't play it. If you think the Malmsteen is the answer to all your prayers, go get it. This is a fun website, and a helpful website. It's a website about a hobby we all love, and a place where like-minded people who love Jems and guitars in general can come and communicate. I don't know everything about guitars. I do repair them all day at work, and every one is different. But I listen to ideas and tips offered by the site and other members. The vibe I get is that you wanna see everyone give their help to ya', then you like to smear faces in it by continuing to boo-hoo in multiple threads about the same problem. Buy your Malmsteen strat. Enjoy it...and by all means make great music with it. If you want help with it...ask. ONCE. But when the help comes up, don't bag on it and switch to Kramers next or go to Ed Roman for a "custom dream machine". Try PLAYING your guitars and learning the different quirks of each one. When you know one guitar really well, you can't go wrong man...regardless of the brand, make and model, or what hardware. I'm not trying to be a jerk here...just asking you to be realistic...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:06 AM

Touche. ALthough I wouldnt have flamed as much I have flamed this guy If you just dropped the money for a new jem then you can afford in a week or two to put some money into a real setup. There is not standard size away from the body for any trem. Guitars are not designed under that high of a tolerance level, and besides, jemsite gives you SPECIFIC pictures on setup.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 10:23 AM

Never had a problem tuning any of my Jems... played like champs out of the box... even the beat up one that supposedly wouldn't stay in tune according to the guy who sold it to me. In fact, I've had my 7VWH since June, came tuned out of the box, I still haven't had to tweak it AT ALL.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Jeeze......I was expecting that. But i don't want to piss people off so i will just shut the hell up. I just have a problem with asking other poeple's opinion about everything. Just wanted help. But sorry for sounding like a baby. Thanx for your help anyways

-Mike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 09:28 PM
Vendor

If you'd follow the help you've been given you wouldn't have any more problems

Tags
floyd rose , malmsteen strat , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode