BSB finish restoration? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Question BSB finish restoration?

Hi all,

Further to my introduction message.........

Has anyone had any experience with restoring the finish on a BSB?

In all honesty I'm in 2 minds as to whether I should do it at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 02:40 AM

Re: BSB finish restoration?

Hey man!
I bought my BSB used. The paint was almost off and I don't know... the burn marks was hum... i don't know... disapearing? Well, anyway, the guitar was great (neck, pickups, bridge, etc), but the finish was off. And that sucks!

So, I decided to do a restoration work and it's great now. This is totally up to you. IMO it's a great idea. None of us enjoy a guitar with no finish at all, do we?

But something I would like to share: After spending lot's of time wandering, I decided to use "non-bright" (sorry, I don't know the exact term in english) varnish coat, just to preserve the finish for a little more. And to be honest, that was a great decision, since the BSB looks like new for a while and the new finish is almost intact.

Probably some of the guys here would say this is a "bad practice", but I'm glad I did it. And hey, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna sell it anyway, since I love it.

Well, as I said, is up to you man! Do what you want to do. Just don't "swirl" your BSB right?! It makes no sense! hehehe

Regards
Uriel
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 07:37 AM

check this out
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: BSB finish restoration?

Cheers Dudes............

Thanks to Uriel, BTW you didn't say what sort of stain you used, if you could let me know that would be cool

Also, thanks to damo7v, thanks for pointing me in the direction of that article, now I've just got to decide if I'm actually going to 'take the plunge'. Call me a wuss if you like................but it is my baby Jem.............
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 09:48 PM

hey! you really have to be careful of project guitar! it is very addictive! you will customize everything! brian is brilliant. i now have a jem 777sk(rg550 conv.) jem 777dy(rg 550 conv.) uv 777lng(rg7620 conv) and a jem 565sk? (rg 565 conv.) i have also started converting my rg750.lol. you have been warned!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Wink Re: BSB finish restoration?

Now you've got me thinking twice about selling my RG7620.............DOH!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 03:22 PM

I've been thinking about restoring a BSB myself. Let me know if you do it and how it goes, the project guitar article makes it look like one of the easier restorations of thought of doing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:52 PM

hello again! i find that project guitar's tutorials are pretty straight forward.having said that, the one thing you need is patience.lol!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 11:07 AM

Hi again, Mr. BSB

First of all, sorry for taking a while to answer again. I was kinda busy at work.

Well, about the stain, I found a "tutorial" right here: www.projectguitar.com (Damo7V mentioned this site...)
Maybe you could check it out to use as a basis. And by the way, there are lots of useful resources at that site.

Good luck! If you need further info, ask!
Oh, and would be cool if you post some pictures, like "before... and after"!

Regards,
Uriel
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 11:21 AM

I'd restore it and put a gloss clear on it as well.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: BSB finish restoration?

Hi Uriel,

I did look at the site, I'm going to see if that stain is available in the UK.

Thanks once again.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 11:59 PM

Reviews: 1
Talking Re: BSB finish restoration?

Do NOT put a gloss or matte lacquer on a BSB...

the body is a thin oil stain finished... and they SING...

you coat the thing and you'll choke half the life out of it...

that's what "made" the BSB IMHO, and why I love them so much..... having tried and had the pick of any Jem (as a dealer... ) it wasn't until these came along that I finally got seduced away from my previous fave squeeze.

( a Custom Heartfield Talon )

I always got left a little disappointed by the JEM until then......

an occasional rub down with an appropriate oil, and it'll keep the wood "sealed" from moisture etc... but go easy as it will affect the stain...

if you're really bothered by fading of the stain (most often where the forearm rubs across the top of the body) then you can get an oil based stain from a number of craft suppliers.... mix it down with a clear(ish) wood finish oil, and use that once in a while where it's starting to fade.

you shouldn't do it too often... you don't want to soften the wood or soak it deeply... as this will also affect how it resonates.

I gotta say though.... Ibanez's cheapo job with the dot markers irritates me.... so I replace them with real phillips/cross head screw heads....

indeed , I've now done several necks like that

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/max.hod...arBuild-25.jpg

Here's one i knocked up to experiment with the fernandes susatiner system... and have a little fun with experimental finishes and carving some inlays . you can just about see my 7BSB in the background....

In terms of the Blue stain, Personally, I'm quite happy to leave mine faded... it gives it an even more personal & unique character .

But seriously, it aint what the thing looks like that's important.

it's how they play, and sound.....

I've been accumulating Ibanez Guitars since the late 70's / early 80's.... ( it all started with a Model 2680 from @1978 and according to my long suffering wife... kind of went downhill form there : ) and this jem is simply the best thing I ever played.

and it aint ever leaving me... unless it's pried from my cold dead fingers.....

Best regards

Max

Tags
ibanez guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode