To Build a Jem... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

To Build a Jem...

I have been toying with the idea of building a custom Jem using a Swamp Ash body from EKG. This will be a little slow process as I need to acquire the parts as I get the money. I figure I should start by buying the body and neck. The question I have is where should I go for a neck?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:42 PM

I got my neck from a trade that was built by Harper Guitarz (sp?). I had been lucky that the generous guy I got it from had done a couple touch ups to it. He made sure the frets were perfect and the fret ends were smooth.
The neck I have is a two piece maple neck with an ebony fretboard and no top markers. The neck has abalone side markers and 24 frets. the headstock is Ibanez shaped with a mahogany veneer that I stained darker. Eventually it will get a 4 fret scallop and a chrome vine inlayed.
The neck is nice and I am crossing my fingers about the playability as the guitar isn't done yet and I haven't had the chance to play it.
I don't know what it costs to have an Ibanez(ish) style neck made and the legalities of use of the Ibanez headstock pattern. Somebody here should know the ins and outs of that stuff.
Good luck!
Todd
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 09:07 AM

Jeremy at LGM could make you a neck, or you could keep your eyes on auction sites for an RG neck, then just get a refret and some new inlays if you want. Just don't forget the neck has to match the body; don't get a cheap old RG neck and an aanj body
Excellent choice of body wood, BTW.

jim
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 12:27 PM

Wizard II necks are the closest in profile to JEM necks.
Some will say the quality is not that of the Wizard neck, but I have not found this to be true at all.

Wizard II necks can be found without spending a shload of money.

Besides, you'll want to send the neck to EKG so they can verify perfect fit.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pointers guys. The more I think about it, I might be better off getting a good used Jem and having that tweaked versus building one. Seems like the cost of both options would be pretty close.

I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but I have been eyeballing the RGT3120's too. My wife was looking at my Ibanez catalog and pointed out that she liked the SZ520QMBBL..... figures

Chris
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:03 AM

Reviews: 1
I along with a few other people will tell you DO NOT, repeat DO NOT use Harper's, the guy will string you along for months and months telling you he shipped it but it was returned, it was damaged and had to be remade, etc... It took nearly 8 mos for me to get a body that he said would be done in 2 weeks.

Oh, and when I finally got it... it was completely wrong, routes were bad, the horns were cut wrong, just a $hit job all together.
EKG fixed the body for me as best he could and I'm still ever so grateful for that, he made a turd into something usable and playable.
copy and paste the link...

http://www.geocities.com/itsbam2/DSCN1915.JPG

Bamm
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 07:29 AM

I have heard the same thing about Harper Guitars- that his work was shotty. I was lucky to have a talented craftsman "fix" all the flaws before I got my neck. The neck is perfect now and awaiting final assembly.

Tags
chrome vine , chrome vine inlay , custom jem , ebony fretboard , ibanez catalog , jem neck , maple neck , swamp ash , swamp ash body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode