Build a Jem-like guitar or get a jem? - I can't decide - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Build a Jem-like guitar or get a jem? - I can't decide

I don't know if i should just go and buy a new Jem or if i should build one. *If i was to build one, basically it would be a mix between a JEM and a JPM...only 2 humbuckers (JPM style switch)...RG body with monkee grip and lion claw trem route. *Now heres where it gets interesting. *AAA flame maple top, on mahogeny back i was thinking about getting a transwirl (two shades of blue, purple, gold, and black) from Herc Fede and the JPM graphic on top of it (don't know what color yet). *For pickups i was thinking a Breed Neck and an Evo Bridge (purple/blue coils). *The neck would be figured maple with puruple/blue pyramids and albone fire around each pryamid. *Then the normal stuff like lo-pro edge, AANJ and locking tuners....or should i just go for a jem...I don't know....cuz the guitar that im dreaming maybe too much, and where do i get a lo-pro edge from and how much is one? *I really want my custom one, but what about that new blue jem...what would you guys do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 08:50 PM

Build a Jem-like guitar or get a jem?

I would imagine that going custom would cost more $$$$ than buying a stock guitar, for the most part. It seems that you're pretty certain and specific about what you want...so it seems that custom is the way to go. You can always buy the JEM later on.

Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 08:52 PM

it sounds like you've got your mind made up already
The guitar you described sounds pretty sweet.

Just keep in mind that home-built guitars are never resellable for the sum of their parts. *It'll just be your sweetie forever.

~Kenny
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 11:30 PM

just two things:
- i understand rich sells lo-pro's (link above)
-locking trem AND locking tuners is really unnecessary

good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 11:55 PM

Yikes. Flame maple AND a five-colour transwirl AND a JPM graphic on top of that?

A wee bit of overkill, perhaps?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 12:00 AM
Vendor

Actually one pretty similar to that was floating on and off ebay for a few weaks. I wouldn't doubt it's still in "completed auctions". One look at that and you might change your mind
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 03:44 AM

Reviews: 3

If you can meet the following requirements I have some insight:

You should be able to properly set up a guitar, wire up a guitar, assemble a guitar given the proper pieces/parts. *Simple enough?

Well building your own could be a great idea. *Not only would you feel all rewarded for working hard on your dream machine, but you don't have to spend extra money giving to a corporation or paying for features you don't want. *I say why not just build one? *It's not hard.

Tags
evo bridge , flame maple , herc fede , locking tuners , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode