Building a JEM RPG by RafaPG - Page 5 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 07:50 PM

Re: Building a JEM RPG by RafaPG

paul's one does make the strings go dead straight through the machine heads though
should turn out a good un whatever you do with the head!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Re: Building a JEM RPG by RafaPG

Hello, finally this is V10 of the peghead. I think strings are better though it's not very important because it has locking nut, but anyway I like this one.

I've glued the fretboard, this is the result.

Next step the inlay.

Best regards.
(Un saludo)
post #63 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Re: Building a JEM RPG by RafaPG

Hello everyone!
Again and again this guy needs some opinions, this time about colouring/finishing this jem.
My idea from the begining was to make it white, it's a good decision I think BUT I haven't tried Red Basswood in traslucent finish anyway. Now here in spain it's too late to make pics of the body with the pickguard because flashing photographs seems to alter the original color of the wood.
Well, here we have an example, this body is made by me to a spanish customer, I like very much this black walnut, though I think regular walnut (european, spanish, etc) has more personality in it's grain and "drawings".

uhm uhm, I'll take tomorrow pics of the body and pickguard and let the forum decide. I said!
Best regards.
Un gran saludo a todos - A big salute to everyone

PD. I must check my website in english, it's too old and there is almost no information about my new works that can be seen there. Spanish part has been uptated today 4 of July.. hey... happy independence holidays to Usa citizens!
post #64 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 08:58 PM

wow looks great!
can i ask what method you use to cut the lions claw route under the bridge?
post #65 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Hello, here it is the picture of the body with the pickguard.

The Lion's claw is made by hand and a lot of patience, no routing.

Best regards.
post #66 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Maybe a translucent cherry finish? I've always liked those.
post #67 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 09:49 PM

oooo that sure looks nice!!!
post #68 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Building a JEM RPG by RafaPG

I already have one in cherry, but not stained, american cherry, built around 15 years ago, you can see it's the one in the right of the pic. It's very ibanez, but the headstock is very charvel-like. I think it's a good idea anyway, thanks!
Best regards.
post #69 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 06:07 AM

wow good stuff
i love the progress pics, keep em coming ;P
post #70 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:49 AM

I swear im going to get an apprenticeship with a luither, I want to learn so bad. I really like ur work, and nice pics so far keep them comming. I also like ur axes.
post #71 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Reviews: 2

+1 on loving progress pics. Great stuff man. I'm a 3d modeler in gfx-world, but that's all just virtual. Really creating irl the object you have in mind, awesome. Id' love to make a guitar some day. good equipment en a nice deal of experience make all the difference of course good luck in you further process man !
post #72 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 AM

Thumbs up Re: Building a JEM RPG by RafaPG

Nice work!

My father's also a luthier (n Serbia). One tip: maybe it would be easier if you made inlay before gluing the fingerboard. Last time we make tree of life we used laser engraving service (local company) and it was little problem to stick whole neck in their machine. Don't know how you plan to do it but laser is great, precise, fast, non-expensive. All you need to do is make corel design of what you want to engrave.

See how it turned out (crappy phone camera)

By the way, my site is www.storm-software.co.yu/diy, there's alot of amp/effect/guitar DIY stuff me and him made.

Cheers

PS Sorry for plug
post #73 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Re: Building a JEM RPG by RafaPG

Hello everyone.

First af all thanks, I really like how you appreciate what I do.
Second, in the three guitars pic only one of them is mine, the cherry one, the middle one is custome made by me to the spanish musician Danny Lamberg, and finally the jem on the left is from another spanish guitarist, Jose Luis "evasion" I built the neck, he built the body and finished the body and then I gave it my last words to this guitar before it was ready to play..
Third, here you have the progress of the neck. I've done the inlay (not by laser, I would like to do that way and check if the wood is not burnt by the laser).

I'm plenty of job now and cannot spend time to my personal projects, that's because this post goes slow.
Best Regards.

Un saludo - A salute.
post #74 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:37 AM

Lookin' good so far.
post #75 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:53 AM

Don't worry about burning wood with laser. So far I've tried it on ebony. ash and maple with great results. It does get burned but very, very minor and surface only. you can remove it with fine sandpaper (#2000 grade or so).

Here's one wooden pedal (modded ross compressor) I built from ash.

Tags
dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolution bridge , edge trem , evolution bridge , flamed maple , headstock design , ibanez dealer , ibanez edge trem , ibanez edge tremolo , jem neck , locking nut , monkey grip , music store , paul gilbert , root beer jem , steve vai , tremolo cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode